jumpergirl

I had a cutaway

My first cutaway on the first load yesterday. DAMN! :S

Everything opened great, just like normal. I reached up, unstowed the toggles, made a small turn, and the right toggle came right off the line!! I looked up and saw my stearling line slip up and through the grommet and fly along behind the canopy.

FU&%!! All I could say and think was FU&% FU&% FU&% FU&%!!

I was around 2500', chopped, got a nice pretty reserve, and landed with a nice little surf! :)
About 2 hours later they found my canopy and bag and I got my rig put back together. I got on load 5 and it worked much better! :)B|

Everyone has asked why I didn't just fly and flare with my rear risers. I definitely was not thinking about that and wasn't sure how it would fly. I made my decision and was very happy with it. :)
So, yeah, I owe beer now! :D:D:D:D

I'm at a new dz and the air is different here than at home. I had only made 1 jump prior to the cutaway. I had NO idea how the canopy would fly in it's condition on top of being in different air. I'm happy with my decision. No one has said I "should have" done anything. They have asked why I didn't. My reply is that I didn't think about it, really. B|

I'm at a new dz and the air is different here than at home. I had only made 1 jump prior to the cutaway. I had NO idea how the canopy would fly in it's condition on top of being in different air.

Oh hell yeah Fluffy would have been gone right away...:P

Glad you found all your stuff! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I had my 2nd cutaway on my 37th jump, nothing to do with me just bad luck i've been told. I didn't stress for a second and i performed my cut aways perfectly.... don't u just love the bright white reserve??? anyways its all good. You did the right thing, people die questioning themselves in everything thing in life. Smile and have a bat for me??

jpw

If your going to live in FEAR, why live at all!!!!!

Congratulations! And be thankful that toggle didn't detach during your flare. Happened to a friend of mine, and she was lucky that she just tumbled on landing and didn't hurt herself. Others have been less fortunate.

Oh, and look at it this way - you handled your first cutaway just fine and you got to practise it under relatively easy conditions. Nice one!

After I landed and calmed down I talked to someone about it. He asked what I would have done if it had come off at 800' in a turn. I said, "You mean after I shit myself?" It made me think and I learned something, which makes it alright. B|

I am VERY thankful that it was a minor low-speed malfunction. I have been dreading my first cutaway for almost 400 jumps now. My confidence is up now and I think I can better handle another one. :)

My first cutaway on the first load yesterday. DAMN! Crazy

Everything opened great, just like normal. I reached up, unstowed the toggles, made a small turn, and the right toggle came right off the line!! I looked up and saw my stearling line slip up and through the grommet and fly along behind the canopy.

Can anyone say Bartack!!!!!! Glad you are ok. I thinkyou did the right thing. Learning to flair with risers under stress is probably not the time to be doing that.

This is a qoute from either Jim Slaton or J.C (can't remember which) "Rear risers are the last thing that you should try to figure out!"

I see people using them all time and they don't know how close they are to putting there canopy into a dynamic stall. At 10-20 ft. it can kill ya!!!
Dom

Congrats on your 1st cutaway. I'll look you up on Sat. and congratulate you in person. I am not questioning your decision in any way shape or form.

However I would like to point out to some of those that have posted that landing a canopy using the rear risers is really no big deal, IF YOU PRACTICE!

Steering with the risers is definitly different than steering with the toggles, but you won't know unless you practice. And it's MUCH easier to stall your canopy with the rears. But practicing will teach you where that stall point is. Practice up high, and then bring it down when you safely can.

Don't wait until you NEED to, do it because it's a good thing to know when you need it.

I personaly am not going to chop a canopy I can land with the rear risers because reserves do mal on occasion.

My reserve is my last resort, just like jumpergirl. :)
Cheers
Larry
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock