sid

We are raising morons (caution - rant)

I just checked the phone messages at the dz from last night. Some numbskull decided he had to call as a result of seeing the tv-ad that we air at 2:43 am, actually he had to call 5 times because he couldn't string a fucking sentence together and leave a coherent message.

Was he drunk? Didn't sound like it, he just didn't have a clue what to say into the machine, how to ask a simple question or ask for a brochure to be mailed. If this was isolated I'd laugh it off, but unfortunately it isn't. I answer phones for a living, and over the last few years it is getting worse.

The education sysytem “may” be teaching algebra, trig, biology, physics (although I seriously doubt it) but they sure are NOT teaching life basics. I take calls all the time from people (generally young people) who have NO IDEA how to hold a telephone conversation.

Me: “Good Morning, Finger Lakes Skydivers, how can I help you?”

Them: “Wuzzup.... yeah.... like the tv ad, what..... skydiving.... you know....... “

The conversation rarely gets any better than this. They have no idea how to frame the content of their call before dialing the number, how to introduce themselves, how to ask a question that will produce some kind of a response that meets their needs for making the call, and absolutely no idea how to end a conversation.

Invariably, if I can get information to them and take a booking, when they fill out their waiver they are a student. What the fuck of ????????? Are these idiots going to come out of whatever educational establishment is conning their parents out of a small fortune, with a degree that will enable them to say “You want fries with that?” with absolutely no kind of authority.

Here's a hint, Mr. President, and all branches of government, start educating your youth. Don't tell them to get a degree, the status of a degree in America today will get you a job at Barnes and Noble (maybe), instead, educate them in life. Teach them how to run a bank account, how to have a conversation, how to shake someone's hand and introduce themselves.

Then teach them how to set goals, plan a strategy and achieve results. We are turning out a society of morons with diplomas who seriously believe that the only way to get anything is to win the lottery or sue somebody, and who can barely stumble through life.

Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Them: “Wuzzup.... yeah.... like the tv ad, what..... skydiving.... you know....... “

The devil's advocate in me says perhaps your TV ads are being aired to the wrong demographic.:P

The second part of me says, anyone that calls 5 times, you should not call back, because we really don't need that in the "skydiving gene pool.":P

How about this....our education system has enough on its hands just trying to teach a bunch of kids, who couldn't care less, how to read and write. The schools' resources have to stretch a long way as it is. I think we should be lighting a fire under PARENTS to teach their children how to get along in the world. I see it as MY responsibility to teach my child how to have a phone conversation, how to get along with people in general, how to make decisions about what's right and wrong, and all of that "daily living" kinda stuff.

I think that parents who shirk their responsibilities as parents and expect that the government should pick up the ball are more of a problem than the schools.

Just my $.02

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think that parents who shirk their responsibilities as parents and expect that the government should pick up the ball are more of a problem than the schools.

Just my $.02

linz

100% agreed.
Basic manners and social skills should be taught at home from early on, so teachers can really teach, not discipline. Unfortunately, in most cases the parents themselves don't have any social skills to begin with...[:/]

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

um... ok, I don't do too bad actually carrying on a conversation on the phone but when it comes to leaving messages I'm usually completely lost.

But for me it isn't so much about a lack of converastional skills. The disjointed nature of my messages are due to the fact that I difficulty maintaining a linear thought process. I tend to stammer a bit and get stuck in my thought process. (It sometimes even happens when I'm in face to face conversation.)

I've had people point it out (even make fun of it, which doesn't bother me a whole lot because I've come to accept it as part of who I am...) I've also gotten a lot better with age/experience.

For me its not about a lack of intellegence or a lack of "life skills" its just the nature of my mind that causes it.

Scott

mental note: never call and leave Sid a message...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Thank you Lindsey. To dump this off on the the education system and leave the parents out if it is wrong. It's the parent's job to socialize the children. If they can't do it, how do you expect the teachers to?

Education teaches the primary skills to get on in life - reading and writing and math. It teaches you to be an informed citizen so you can vote (social studies).

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

I agree with Lindsey, the parents should be teaching those skills not the teachers.

Andrea and Linz, in a perfect world (look around - it isn't) the parents would be teaching life skills, but this is an exponentially escalating problem and in many cases (not yours for sure, but many cases nonetheless) the parents themselves don't have those skills. If those that we charge with the task of maintaining society want any kind of growth, any kind of stability they won't be adding 3 minutes to every school day (as they were in Florida) to compensate for the time missed during the hurricanes, they will INSIST on educating their populace.

I just finished reading an article about a rash of incidents where parents were putting their children in the trunk of the car. Some as punishment, some because the children asked to ride there, some to avoid the chatter, but it was a whole slew of cases where parents had put their kids in the trunk and driven on the roads. And THESE were the incidents that were discovered. You want these people solely responsible for educating their children in life skills? I stand by my assertion, part of education, and the primary part in my view, should be how to deal with life, how to function in society, how to have a conversation etc.

Anyway - I feel better now...... :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

do you think that most people who can't leave a phone message have the same mental problem that you do or do you think sid is correct, in general.

i think that most young people who can't communicate effectively have the later problem, not yours.

i'd take this rant and any other on an "if the shoe fits" basis.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I don't know... but someone would/might lump me into that catigory and as such I am sensitive to this issue.

Oh, I agree with the girls though... this is a job for the parents not the government. I think my parents did a fine job :)
Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Beyond the education system, I think that the major problem and contributor to this lack of conversational and interaction skills is the fact that it is not "cool" right now to speak clearly, sit up straight, use correct vocabulary, dress neat, act educated, or even BE educated. There is a culture being intergrated into the younger population which says all of these things are "uncool."

I absolutely agree. We should give up expecting parents to be responsible for anything. It's not like they are qualified educators. They did not go to college and earn a degree in education. Why should we expect anything out of parents. Its apparent to all that the teachers are to blame. TV has nothing to do with it either, that just the excuse all those shirking teachers are using as a crutch for failing to live up to SID's expectations.....
I just am................

Teachers don't teach that much anymore. They simply present information which is totally different than teaching. Children now will only memorize correct answers to get through a test. It is totally up to parents to teach our own. My children are constanly asking what is that, why does it do that, it just takes a few minutes everyday to explain what is going on. On a different note though I have also bumbled through an answering machine message the human brain is expecting two way conversaton. It needs feedback to stimulate flowing thoughts at 2:30 in the morning I probably could sound like an idiot too. In general though God loves stupid people He sure made alot.

Teachers don't teach that much anymore. They simply present information which is totally different than teaching. Children now will only memorize correct answers to get through a test. It is totally up to parents to teach our own.

couldn't agree more. although, it's important to remember that not all of them fit this description, just too many.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I'm going to clarify a couple of points from my original thread, then retire for a while......

The messages on the machine this morning were simply the last straw following a lot of observations over the last few years as the primary interface for a business that attracts calls from the public. This was not a case of someone having trouble with linear thought, I wish it was legal to record some of these "conversations" but it isn't.

Ask anyone who deals with general inquiries from the public on a day to day basis how they find the average standard of calls that come in.

And I definitely was not blaming teachers, but rather the system that those underpaid people have to operate within. We can expect parents to educate their children on life skills, but they mostly won't. So unless we want to continue dealing with the consequences of that, we should start doing it for those that won't or can't.
Pete Draper,

I agree with Lindsey, the parents should be teaching those skills not the teachers.

i agree with this as well... the unfortunate thing is that most parents have to work overtime hours just to afford to provide the essentials for their children, making it quite difficult to invest proper quality time with their children. It is a damn shame that the cost of living is so high, and not like it used to be, both paretns HAVE to work in most families. >:(

I agree! I get tired of some of the excuses parents come-up with, also. I know, personally, single moms, who have intelligent kids who get good grades, have manners and can put together a complete sentence. The moms work 2-job, also.
On the other hand, I know some stay-at-home moms whose kids are in and out of juvenile detention and think 2+2 = buy two... get two free!.
Parents got to step-up to the plate. Teachers can't do it all.:S

Chuck

Beyond the education system, I think that the major problem and contributor to this lack of conversational and interaction skills is the fact that it is not "cool" right now to speak clearly, sit up straight, use correct vocabulary, dress neat, act educated, or even BE educated. There is a culture being intergrated into the younger population which says all of these things are "uncool."

You hit that one right on the head. I've got a sister in law who thinks it's cool to be an idiot. She works hard at dumbing her self down every day. I give credit to pop culture for that. Her parents could never compete with the crap she calls music and entertainment, and to her, that is the true measure of how well some one fits in

You hit that one right on the head. I've got a sister in law who thinks it's cool to be an idiot. She works hard at dumbing her self down every day. I give credit to pop culture for that. Her parents could never compete with the crap she calls music and entertainment, and to her, that is the true measure of how well some one fits in

Well... Duh! :D:D:D

Sorry, Kevin... I couldn't help myself.:D

Chuck