weegegirl

Do you Feng Shui? Can you help me??

Hey. I just started a new job this week and I have a pretty decent sized office. Problem is, it has no windows, the walls are really really white!, the lights are very electic, and I feel like my brain is frying by the second.

I want to move the furniture around and bring in some normal lighting and wall stuff, but I want to do it all Feng Shui style. Does anyone know how to do this?

Attached is the layout of my office. Any suggestions would be sooooooooooo appreciated. I read something about angle of desk to door and walls infront/behind you. Help!!

Thanks!

Thanks! But I'm not totally convinced I have it right. Maybe once I get some better lighting in here and something on these darn walls, I'll feel better. I'm going to take a picture of a window and blow it up into a poster or something so I can pretend to stare at the sky all day!! :S:D

I would really recommend getting a little DIY book from B&N or something, but I can offer a few tips (mostly common sense, but also feng shui encouraged)

- make sure you're facing the door comfortably (most people prefer this anyway)

- definitely bring in incandescent lighting - flourescent is bad for your eyes. A desk lamp and a floor lamp would be best.

- plants! Silk ones will do if you kill real ones like I do.

- a picture that can double as a 'window' - large enough to fit the room, something pleasant you like to look at, whether it makes you feel relaxed or energized.

- If you can, bring in a little bubble fountain like they sell cheap at Bed bath & beyond, or even a little fishbowl with a goldfish or beta.

- Above all else, stay organized! No clutter, and manage your files and paperwork ruthlessly. The easier it is to have everything in your reach, the more focused you'll be.

In terms of colors and placements, do what feels right. Mostly, it's all about making yourself feel very at ease, very organized and very in control.

:)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

First you need to sink a pillar into the floor with the pillar height and and distance from the NW corner exacly at a ratio of 1.61803399. Paint the pillar red, unless you're left handed. Put a picture of your new boss's face inside of the male urinal. This seems strange but just trust me, it'll make the office happy. Never sit with your back to the door. This way if banditos come you'll be ready to blaze. I am of course talking about marijuana. You see, banditos who bust into Feng Shui offices are really just looking to get high.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Ooh more:

Keep power cords out of sight as much as possible.

Maybe move the trash to the other side of the desk

Do the file cabinet and bookshelf impede you in any way? Keep in mind what people see through the open door, & what you see when you walk in.

Don't forget what's behind you - this will 'frame' you as people face you from the other side of your desk.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

this will 'frame' you as people face you from the other side of your desk.

Thats a very important point. Dont underestimate this. Fro maximum effect, work topless.

:D:D You guys are funny. :P Actually, not only can I not work topless, but with this new job I have to wear a suit everyday!!!!!! Darn serious business freaks!

It's cool though, cuz one of my coworkers has a son with about 8000 skydives, who is fulltime in the sport. And he's made a couple of tandems himself. He's all excited that there is a jumper working in the office now. B|

I'v been Landscaping for 10 yrs, and when I asked an old pro, he said it's all about positioning. Ghawd I hate straight lines. Anyway I recently bought a book to read up on the subject, but I put it down once it started with the burn candles and chant kumbaya or something. so it's sitting here collecting dust. This thing gets into birthdays numbers add and subtract, and solestial signs, and the house of the purple turtle all kinds of crazy stuff. If you want it I'll send it to you. (Total feng shui by Lillian Too)

I'd say Move your desk to the back left of the room so if your walking in your looking right at the poor soul who will interview with you. whats a wall in a skydivers office with out the team work print up somewhere(any corporate office for that matter) or a nice blow up pic of a jump over the water say from some lake you jumped at a few years back.
and a good ole Kentia palm $$.

Happy rearranging

I used old calendar pages to frame my white board and bulletin board. One is of Frank Lloyd Wright stained glass windows (love that stuff), and the other is shuttle pictures (duh). It covers a whole lot of wall space, and I always have something to look at. If I get sick of it, it's very cheap to change.

Also, have a couple of toys on the table that I have for guests. Always a good conversation piece (and when things get hectic, it's good for me, too).

If you put your back to the door, you will instantly become more efficient because you'll no longer be looking at who's walking by, and you'll look uninviting to people wandering and looking for someone to chat with. But you'll no longer hear any of the office news, either.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I need help on that one too! I asked Alanab for assistance on this awhile back. I will post a diagram of my office later as well.

The bad thing for me is that I can hear people coming, but I cannot see them. Therefore, I am somewhat guarded when I hear someone walking towards my office. My furniture- I do not know how I can rearrange it, but help will be appreciated.
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

switch the positioning of the trash can and the computer.

Put a plant or a standing lamp next to the new computer position to fill that gap.

The positioning of the Book case and the filing cabinet are really bad, but I can't think of a better way without putting it behind you, which is worse than they're current spot.

The Guest chairs and the book case create a bit of a bottleneck in the flow from the door to your chair. Beyond eliminating the chairs, I don't know how to address that.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Also, have a couple of toys on the table that I have for guests. Always a good conversation piece (and when things get hectic, it's good for me, too).

:o I sell a couple of E-glass ones that aren't easily recognizable and make great conversation pieces!!!!!! :o oooh, not THAT kind of toy, sorry, I'll back away now!!!!! :$;)

I'd rather have an awkward morning than a boring night!!!

This is where mirrors are key.

For example, if you must face a wall instead of the angle of a visitor's approach, which is a weaker position (submissive? :ph34r:), use a mirror above your monitor to keep the whole office / cubicle in sight.

Don't sit directly in front of the door if you can help it, but you do want to be facing it. Sit with your back against the wall opposite the door at an angle- this is a power position which puts you in control of your space. Weege, the way your desk is set up is already pretty good - you wouldn't want to be where the file cabinet is though.

Straight lines suck - try to incorporate more organic shapes, like the plants and little rocky fountain. A good balance of straight and curved lines is best.
Balance is what it's all about.