christopherm

Learn to pack!

So, what if ALL those fun jumpers decided to pack their own and you were left with only student gear to pack? Maybe those "rich ass skydivers" work their asses off Monday to Friday, so they can then pay ingrates like you to pack for them so they can better enjoy their weekend. They are putting money back into the sport (the same as when they buy those 5g rigs).
I don't think your post is about people who don't even know how to pack their own, I think its a whinge against skydivers who are more affluent than yourself and able to dedicate their entire weekend to jumping and not have to pack (for themselves or for money).
There, now you know what I think.

"I learned to pack from that old ass video too! It was hard as hell..."

Gonna' have to agree with you on that one Diver... Pam & I tortured ourselves with the pack-like-a-pro video, and found it to be utterly useless! The video was made in the early 80's (or so it seemed), and the guy was using a F1-11 canopy... wish I could just roll over my canopy (like a little kid down a hill) & all the air be pushed out (& STAY OUT!). lol The best techniques that I've found is to just take various bits of advice from lots of seasoned jumpers/packers & find out what works for you... I've been packing my own chute since my 15th jump (with the exception of the few that Pam has packed for me), my openings aren't wonderful, but I have yet to have any kind of mal (knock on wood). I actually used a Packer for the first time this weekend... Pam & I landed out on load nine & while trying to make load 11, plus dirt-diving for the dz.com attempt, there just wasn't enough time... gotta say that's the best opening I've ever had on that canopy (thanks to the DZO's son at Spaceland).
As far as the original post, I'm with Skreamer on this one, quit yer bitching, if they've got the extra cash to pay someone to pack for them, let them.... just sounds like they're putting more money into your pocket to me, what's the problem?! Is knowing how to pack a relevant part of being able make a competent, safe, fun skydive.... of course not, it's actually the pain in the ass part! lol
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Yep, I've got a PAL version of that shite video if anybody wants it (I also liked the small things in the video like using a rig with ROL instead of BOC, gee that made sense). Oh, and Merrick, stop agreeing with me on stuff, it is making me friggin' nervous....

"Maybe those "rich ass skydivers" work their asses off Monday to Friday, so they can then pay ingrates like you to pack for them so they can better enjoy their weekend."
"quit yer bitching, if they've got the extra cash to pay someone to pack for them, let them...."
Maybe you guys should read the post a little bit closer before you open your mouth. I said that I have not problem with those who want to pay for a pack job, infact I appreciate the extra business. I was bitching about those who don't pack because the never take the time to learn! But what do I know, I'm just an ingrate.
-So how hard is the ground?!

hey, if you don't wan't to pack there rigs, there is nothing in the sky diving book of rules that says you have to.

strange ways... over here you won't get a license if you can't pack. (don't know if its the law or just common practice). And I think that's a good thing. I mean, I like it when packers are around (which is not always the case where I jump), so I can do some ground videos inbetween jumps or (after the last jump) get to the bar earlier, but it would be very strange if i were totally dependant on having a packer around.
Greetings from Vienna, city of the cold rain
Chronistin
http://www.wortwerkstatt.at/skydiving

If they have a license they at least have been taught to pack but choose not to do it.
Hell, Im a packer (part time), but we have so many packers at my DZ that ive pretty much been out of work for 3 months. Send some of those rich a$$ goombas over here. Ill pack for em and take their hard earned money!
Its those rat bastards that buy brand SPANKIN new $5000 gear right off student status, make 15 jumps a day, make me pack for em, THEN make me carry their gear to their Mercedes' that *I* hate!!
(that was a JOKE!! Get it? A JOKE!! sorta...)
Blues!
CJ

In the UK Summertime, most DZ's are so buzy there is a slow turn around (no double manafesting allowed). 3 hrs wait sometimes!
In the UK Wintertime, the lift turn-around is often slow because of coud cover.
Therefore, even if you a new or slow packer (like me) there is normally plenty of time to pack your own.