skydiverek

Is the lineset destroyed in the process of removing?

I remember when I was a kid my mom would give me a quarter and send me down to the neighborhood shoemaker for new shoelaces.

He'd pick me up and place me in the big chair. But he'd never undo my laces, he'd pull out a big honking pair of shears (that scared the crap out of me) and just sliced them off in one swipe.

Riggers are the same as shoemakers . . .

NickD :)

If they are cascaded (as most are), they most certainly do not HAVE to be destroyed in the removal process, but it takes a lot more time (thus money) to remove them that way. Talk to your rigger if you think you want to save them.

As a rigger I'd say it would be pretty unusual for it to be worth the hassle of saving a set, but I suppose it is possible that it would be worth it.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

As a rigger I'd say it would be pretty unusual for it to be worth the hassle of saving a set, but I suppose it is possible that it would be worth it.

Yes, I could save them if I wanted to remove bar tacks...but that will cost you...dearly...more than the new line set costs. Do the math.
;)

I would question the safety of re-using them given the damage done by removing and re-tacking them.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I would question the safety of re-using them given the damage done by removing and re-tacking them.

Should not be a prob if one knows how to de-bartack without damage (slide a needle under the stitching and use a razor blade to shave off the topside). But it would be like a rigging art masterpiece to do this on an entire lineset. Hours of painstaking work. Only to have the Jumper go and jump those dang lines after all the hard work.
Sacrilege I tell ya, Sacrilege.
Take care,
space

Jason,

I have used a seam ripper to take the bartack out of lower control lines. It is a PITA when the bartack is on a line. Just my personal opinion, this shave technique sounds way less labor intensive. I am definetly going to try it next time. :)
BTW, I have been rationing and savoring that beer. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Seam rippers are designed to take seams out. Even the smallest of mine are bigger than a medium size lightweight needle and are not very handy for taking out bartacks. With a needle, one can work it thought the bar tack without catching any line fibers and then shave them off. If the bartack is deep into the line, you can use the eye end of the needle to slip it under.
Take care,
space

Seam rippers are designed to take seams out. Even the smallest of mine are bigger than a medium size lightweight needle and are not very handy for taking out bartacks.

The small ones from Wal-Mart are great for removing bartacks. They are made by Prym.
I use then all the time here in the shop with great results.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com