Rebecca

The helpful household suggestion thread

The easiest method I've found is to pay someone else to do it.

Yeah, I had a live in girlfriend that did a great job. Even after we broke up, she still did the floors for me. Her new boyfriend didn't like my method of 'payment', so that didn't last long... :D:P

I think she mixed a little bleach with something... whatever it was, it worked great... hmm maybe I should call her up. :D

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I worked for a company, whose painter/sandblaster used MEK for drying paint faster in colder weather. My wife, who has been in law enforcement told me it was used for making 'speed'. How's that?

A likely story.... ;)

Jeff

:D:D

Chuck

Now, now. We don't need to be that helpful - these tips are for 'normal' households only.
Please reserve your Meth Lab household tips for the appropriate forum. Thank you.

:D

I was raised-up to share.:D:D

Chuck

onion in the freezer 20 minutes before you chop it. No more tears!

peel the onion under cold running water

Or use skydiving (or other) goggles while chopping.:)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For floors-
if you want a quick clean, rather than doing the fancy mop thing all the time, try a swiffer! Quick, very easy, gets the floor cleaned quick!

For removing stains off the walls and counters: The Mr Clean magic Eraser is awesome!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

onion in the freezer 20 minutes before you chop it. No more tears!

peel the onion under cold running water

Or use skydiving (or other) goggles while chopping.:)
Wendy W.

...and a clothes-pin for the nose!:D

Chuck

Any helpful tips for hardwood floors. Our new (pre-owned) house has hardwood entryway that has taken years of abuse. I really don't wanna sand and refinish, but it seems it just soaks up any wax type stuff I put on it!

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

If you sell his uniforms (why would you!:o), please remove all rank, insignia, and name tapes. Just a security thing.....

No worries about that! :)
edit: why would we sell? Um, because Daddy doesn't fit into his uniforms from 1980 anymore, and he's retired! They have about 4 big wardrobe boxes full of cammo and other stuff that they've been lugging around with them - it's pointless to keep it.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Anybody have a way to remove Superglue from a wood counter top?

Try Ace Hardware's or Formby's wood 'refinisher'. Apply with '0000' steel wool. You may have to go-back after it has dried and touch-up the finish in that area if, the finish is high gloss. Shouldn't make a difference on satin finish. Use a small amount of the refinisher and lightly work the 0000 steel wool.
Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Only thing I could suggest would be a good cleaning and a paste, not liquid, wax if it's just wood (i.e. no urethane or anything). I've never urethaned a floor, so if that's what you're trying to do, well, I'm completely out of my element.

Usually with shiny stuff, if it's not shiny left, put another thin layer on, and keep repeating.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If it sticks and it's not supposed to---WD-40

If it doesn't stick and it's supposed to--Duct Tape
:D

Egcellent! ;)

New question: Thread Count

Does the quality keep going up with the tr, or is there a point at which the sheets just can't get more luxurious? They sure get more expensive! Is it worth it?

Overstock has 1500, 1000, 750, 600, 440, 300 tr sheets, and I was just wondering if it really made a huge difference after, say 600.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Overstock has 1500, 1000, 750, 600, 440, 300 tr sheets, and I was just wondering if it really made a huge difference after, say 600.

It doesn't really answer your question, but I bought some 600tc from there, and have to say, they're really nice. I don't think I'll buy sheets anywhere else now. Not sure if the higher tc are ever better. My down comforter from Overstock is really nice as well.

Word of advice, satin sheets aren't everything they're cut up to be.... Bought some for 'special occassions', and they're really hard to keep on the bed (duct tape maybe?), and I've nearly slipped out of bed a couple times they're so slick. :S

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Yeah, I'm a cotton girl - no desire for that shiny slippy satin.

The thing is the price. If the 600 tc at $60 are just as good as the 1200 tc at $120, why bother spending more? But if the luxury is really there, I'll spend the money.

Get some 0000 steel wool, and a good polish like horn's polish, and scrub like crazy WITH the grain to take off the old crud that is built up. As you go, use a soft cloth to clean up the gook that is coming off, and to buff the floor. When you get down to the original finish ( and eventually, you will) clean it weekly with nothing but endust sprayed on a rag. Voila! Beautiful!
But truely, renting a drum sander and refinishing it is only a two day project, and in a small space wouldn't be expensive to have done for you if you are a woos about it. I had my 12x14 100 year old kitchen floor done for $250.00 and it's fabulous
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Anybody have a way to remove Superglue from a wood counter top?

DON'T USE SUPER GLUE REMOVER! It will take off the finish of your counter top. Don't use Fornby's unless you plan to refinish the ENTIRE top.
The best way to do it is to allow it to dry completely, which happened even before this was typed.
Then take an exacto knife and carefully find an edge to the bit of glue, and it will pop off.
Just careful place the knife between the edge of the glue and the counter top.
Believe me, I had to remove it from someones very expensive violin one time, and this was the ONLY way to do it, without destroying the finish on the entire top of the instrument.
Why they had ever used super glue was beyond me
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]