skymama

New US Passport laws

Just in case you haven't heard, here's a helpful link.

The first implementation of the law is December 31,2005 for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America. Get your passport now if you're going to need one, there's probably going to be a rush the closer we get to the end of the year.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Am I the only one who always likes to have a passport? I love the idea that I could just take off at any time on some impromptu international adventure. I've never actually done it, but I like the idea (though, come to think of it, I have taken off to Mexico and Canada with less than two weeks prep time... had the new regulations been in effect I would have been screwed).

Of course, I also asked for extra pages in my passport last time I renewed. I also liked the idea that I might get so many stamps that 24 pages over the course of 10 years wouldn't be enough. Most of those 48 pages are looking really lonely. :(
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I also liked the idea that I might get so many stamps that 24 pages over the course of 10 years wouldn't be enough.

Ya, my last passport (when I lived overseas) was filled. It was pretty cool to scroll thru all the pages and think WOW, I've been to all these places... :)
The most recent passport is looking a lil scant... :P

ciao, g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Most of the EU countries don't bother to stamp and act if it is an annoyance if you ask them to stamp your passport. They just give a glance and that's it...or that's how it was back in 98 and 99.

Yep, stamps are quickly becoming a thing of the past... driving all around the EU in 1997 and not being stopped at any border, so no cool stamps in the passport.

Oh, well, I still have my old diplomatic passport from when I was a kid. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Most of the EU countries don't bother to stamp and act if it is an annoyance if you ask them to stamp your passport. They just give a glance and that's it...or that's how it was back in 98 and 99.

Much like you won't get stamped for crossing the California/Arizona border. You usually gets stamped in the EU in your port of arrival. At least I do.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Interesting. I was in Alaska a month ago and went into Canada and encountered the same attitude. I thought it was just the attitude of the immigration person. The one stamp I did get in the Yukon was actually more of a tourist thing.

Went to canada over the weekend and had my car taken apart by customs just because I didnt have a passport on me. I used to be able to go in and out like it was another state with just my license..

Yeah when I was in College in ND we would make a run to the boarder to drink cause the drinking age was 18. 5 girls piled into one red sunbird, looking for a good time...LOL. Hand the boarder guy a stack of DLs and we were off. Now I feel bad for the college kids of the future, "Mom, Dad, I need my birth certificate to get a passport", "Why", "ummm...field trip to Canada?"
Fly it like you stole it!

My ex is taking the kids on a cruise over Christmas break and he had no idea about the new laws and they don't currently have passports. I'm so glad I told him, I'd really like for my kids to be let back in the country!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Much like you won't get stamped for crossing the California/Arizona border. You usually gets stamped in the EU in your port of arrival. At least I do.

Yes, but you my friend also get strip searched at your port of arrival and that doesn't happen to most of us.:P

Sorry Frenchy, no pun intended, but I just couldn't resist.;) I owe you [BEER] for this one.

Nice to meet you toot!

Is the ex going to pay for the kids' passports? I applied for mine about a month ago, and it cost me $97:o
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That's the going rate nowadays. Just got mine in June and it only took 21 days with no extra charge.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

The Illusion of Security . . .

I was on my way into the VA Hospital (just a follow up appointment) a few weeks ago and there is a VA policewoman at the door checking IDs. I opened my knapsack and grabbed the first thing that came to hand and it was my passport.

I handed it to her and I swear she looked at it like she'd never seen one before. Then she says, "Don’t you have a driver's license?"

This in a state where a driver's license can be had on any street corner . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

The Illusion of Security . . .

I agree. Earlier this year I left my DL in a different pair of pants and headed down to Mexico. It wasn't till after I crossed the boarder that I remembered that I didn't have my DL. I got back into Calif. showing the Boarder Patrol my Sam's card.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Actually, a valid passport is the only ID that will get you out of a bad situation anywhere in the world. I have been to loads of countries as an american (and a few as an unknown), and the only saving grace is your passport. BTW, in my humble opinion, you are just stupid to leave your home country without a passport!

Moral of the story... GET A PASSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, in my humble opinion, you are just stupid to leave your home country without a passport!

That goes without saying. I may be one of the stupidest people that you've never met. It is astounding sometimes.

I never thought of it, but what if an international dispute arises and I am seized by the Bahamian army ? :)

Maybe I should stay home.
:ph34r: