skymama

Hurricane Katrina

>WHY do people choose to do things like this?

Ask Rookie, above. Some people just believe they'll be OK. Had the storm turned west instead of east, he could have been in big trouble, while the people in those apartments would have been OK.

From what I understand the State Patrol has all of I-10 closed to incoming traffic for MS and LA.

Yes, I-10 is gone from MS to LA.

Prayers to your family.

Ask Rookie, above. Some people just believe they'll be OK. Had the storm turned west instead of east, he could have been in big trouble, while the people in those apartments would have been OK.

This is very true. But nobody was forcasting that it would do that. They all said it was going to turn east. Even if it havent turn to the east I had everything ready to go at the door to get out. But no matter what I say there will be the one's on here saying "your and idiot" and everything else. If I lived in New Orleans I would have been gone. With them being under sea level you are now seeing what happens. Enough from me, we were lucky here in Baton Rouge. Very little damage and I only lost power for 8 hours. Didnt even have to suffer 1 night without AC. Like I said we were very lucky.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

From what I understand the State Patrol has all of I-10 closed to incoming traffic for MS and LA.

Yes, I-10 is gone from MS to LA.

Prayers to your family.

The AP has been showing pics of I-10 just east of NO that has collapsed into the water. Now the super dome is being evacuated as the lake pours into the city in at least two spots. Over 3000 sandbags airdropped into the broken levee spots so far have not stopped the flooding. This could easily top Andrew as the biggest natural disaster to hit this country.

The scary part is this isn't even the busy season for hurricanes yet. Hopefully they get a break from another hit this season.

This could easily top Andrew as the biggest natural disaster to hit this country.

Not to lessen the impact (it's huge, and possibly the biggest in economic terms), but the Galveston hurricane in 1900 killed over 5000 people.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

then again in 1900 then didnt have the warnings we do now... if there were no warning for this and other storms in recent history the deaths would have been higher... granted weather people get on my nerves sometimes but they do serve a purpose
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

This could easily top Andrew as the biggest natural disaster to hit this country.

Not to lessen the impact (it's huge, and possibly the biggest in economic terms), but the Galveston hurricane in 1900 killed over 5000 people.

Wendy W.

See...there I go opening my mouth again...gonna shut up now and study history.

And just think, Galveston was WAY less populated in 1900 than these areas are today. If the population then was as large as it is now, that number would be unimaginable[:/]

And if nobody had evacuated New Orleans or anywhere along the coast, we would likely be seeing something like 300,000 dead and more.

The levee breaks may take up to a week to repair to stem the flow of water. Then you've got to pump all that water out of the city. That ain't going anywhere by itself. That job could take at least a month, likely more. The Big Easy has turned into The Big Horror... B|B|B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Then you've got to pump all that water out of the city. That ain't going anywhere by itself. That job could take at least a month, likely more. The Big Easy has turned into The Big Horror...

This flooding in NO is what I feared. That water is filled with sewage, trash and probably has a hefty dose of gasoline and oil on it. I'm wondering what the chances are that the flood waters can catch fire and cause even more trouble.

NO is in for a very very long recovery....[:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

don't forget about the alligators, snakes, ect. in the water.

If they're salt-water animals, yes they would be a problem. Is Lake Pontchartrain a salt-water lake? I would think so since the map shows a narrow inlet from there to the Gulf near Slidell, northeast of New Orleans. Fresh-water animals don't stand a chance for long. The big problem is going to be contracting water-borne disease from all the animal carcasses in the city.

Not only that, you can write off most of the vegetation and trees in the city that have been submerged to some point. The salt water is going to kill them.

This really sucks... Poor New Orleans and everyone who live there. :(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Is Lake Pontchartrain a salt-water lake?

Lake Pontchartrain is brackish.

don't forget about the alligators, snakes, ect. in the water.

And fire ants...and sharks, apparently.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

We had to do some work in our attic this year, and made a point to do it befor summer.

Can't imagine being stuck in a attic being scared shitless not knowing for how long and thinking your going to die.B|

Very ugly situation in NO.[:/]

R.I.P.

hello all I am from Chalmette which is right outside new orleans must say read few post and thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. left there sunday morning am now in Tenn. with family have heard from few other jumpers from the area who also left think anyone who stayed was a fool
right now just hanging out waiting to see when we can go back in and start rebuilding
moving on to Mass on friday to stay with mother and hopeful jump a little and find some temp work till I can go home.
once again thank you all for your thoughts and prayers

Not to mention the mosquitoes and the problem with mole after all the water is gone.

CNN just said that a million people are homeless:( And no job to go to.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yeah, new orleans is in a bad way. All my friends and family got out and I'm thankful for that. I'm devestated over this whole thing. The flooding, the houses, the personal belongings, the cars, the dead people floating in the water, the destruction, the loss of jobs and the delay in schools...my poor city. :(
-Salvador Dali

Yeah, new orleans is in a bad way. All my friends and family got out and I'm thankful for that. I'm devestated over this whole thing. The flooding, the houses, the personal belongings, the cars, the dead people floating in the water, the destruction, the loss of jobs and the delay in schools...my poor city. :(

My aunt and uncle who were in their daughter's closet during a tornado ripping the sides off their house..last we spoke..I haven't heard from them since to know that they made it..nor from Kreg's roommate Wayne who lived in Gulfport just a few blocks from the beach, nor my brother's and my sailing buddies...many many in the Gulfport, Pass Christian, Bay St. Louis, N.O. area....only time will tell who's left[:/]. I called my 92 y.o. grandparents tonight and my brother was distracting himself from the loss of our sailing buddies by helping the old folks and cutting trees off the roof of their home to prevent further roof damage. In times like these, my family bonds like nothing I've ever seen.

BTW..GoldCoast Family..my Grandma's house is one block from Ms Jean and Mavi said her place looks like it faired well. I hope that gives some sense of comfort.

Can you actually reach your family? I talked to my parents for the first time in two days because the stupid phones won't work. I can't reach the rest of my family or my friends to see if they're all alive and well and dry and safe.
-Salvador Dali

Does anyone know if Metairie is flooded? I can't find anything...

Yes Heather..Metarie is flooded[:/] It's really ugly from N.O.all the way to Mobile..north and south of I-10 is like toothpicks[:/] I didn't want to believe it was this bad but it is:(

I heard that a large part of Metairie is flooded. But, it may include only the area closest to the 17th street canal and the Lake. I did hear, though (third hand) that Rummell high school was dry.
-Salvador Dali