boomslang

At what altitude can you pull your reserve and still have time to flare?

I know that variables are present. I am just looked for an average range. For example, a 176 PD Reserve loaded at 1.0.

Videos would be very helpful if any can be found!

Thank you for your time
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down. A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

Any particular reason for wanting this info?

I saw a guy under a snivelling reserve which popped at around 80-100 feet. He did flare but still hit the ground like a ton of shit. He was lucky and walked away.

There are so many variables. Are you pulling at terminal? Are you chopping a main with a skyhook at 200 feet?

Here's an idea. You could take it lower and lower and see if you make it and when you don't we will have a definitive answer - for you, under your reserve at least. I wouldn't however recommend this approach...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Here's an idea. You could take it lower and lower and see if you make it and when you don't we will have a definitive answer - for you, under your reserve at least. I wouldn't however recommend this approach...

the information would only be valid for that one time, we'd need him to do it a few more times and run an average just so we can tell HIM WHEN HE IS A LITTLE LOW;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

First, if you have a reserve you have to flare to survive the landing it's too small IMHO. Remember if you don't release the brakes it's not in full flight.

This question is moot. If you need the reserve you open it as high as possible. If your looking for a minimum altitude for initiating reserve procedures look in the SIM. You don't ever give up.

You can look in the TSO specifications for the test performance requirements. PIA's latest is offline for the moment for some clarification. I don't have an online link to TSO C23d requirments handy.

With all of that. If your under 500' I'll assume your dead until you live. If your over 1000' I'll assume your alive unless you die. In between I'll flip a coin. Lower is possible.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I know that variables are present. I am just looked for an average range. For example, a 176 PD Reserve loaded at 1.0.

Thank you for your time

Here is one that is really low. I think he has a 143r
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6847&string=marko
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Thank you for your time

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6847&string=marko

First, Hey all!
After visiting this site every day the past six months I finally registerd :)
I think this is a lower pull, almost scary just looking at it.
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1199&string=lowpull

Thank you for your time

First, Hey all!
After visiting this site every day the past six months I finally registerd :)
I think this is a lower pull, almost scary just looking at it.
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1199&string=lowpull

Yep that's a low one lol
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Thank you for your time

That video never gets old!:D:D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

That video never gets old!:D:D:D

Is there further analysis of this video here? It looks to me like the malfunction started because one of his toggles came detached. Or is there another explanation for why his sharp turn suddenly became line twists? It doesn't look like he let go with either hand, but the sound and reaction of the canopy makes me think that one of his steering lines was released.

He does something else very well. After he cuts away and his reserve inflates, he spends a bit of time trying to organize his handles. That might not have been the best idea. But once he realizes that he doesn't have time, he uses his rear riser to turn. He then pulls his reserve toggles, but doesn't let them up. He does a flat turn and lands. He could have been in much worse shape if he'd let his reserve toggles go back up as his canopy would have likely dove into the ground.

Seems like a couple things went wrong during this landing, and he did a bunch of things right, from my amateur opinion.

Yes this video has been discussed on here. The guy that is on that video's name and/or screen name is marco i beleive. If i recall corectlly he was on DZ.com before that asking for opinion's about wing loading while having low jump numbers. He had a sky god attitude and would not listen to others. Then the incident in this video happened. That is why i say it never gets old. It is the perfect example of someone not listening and almost getting hurt. Good think he didn't get hurt!

Hopefully someone can point to both threads.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!