phugganut

The Pub chat

Well I just joined DZ about 6 minutes ago from rc.com. Were were invited to join the pub chat in the rc.com community forum. I was on for about 1 minute, typed like 3 sentences, then it said some j[edited]f named cornholio kicked me out. What a ripoff.

I thought the DZ people were pretty well recieved at rc.com. The few who posted there seemed nice and cool and stuff, but cornholio can kiss my ass.

Is saying KMA a personal attack? Sorry, I didn't think so. Actually, the jerkoff comment might be considered one, so I'll retract that and edit it. KMA isn't much of a personal attack IMHO. Anyway, it wasn't the best welcome I've ever recieved and irked me a bit so I posted it.

No worries.

As another note, Cornholio is technically in charge in one way or another in that thing. You getting kicked off most likely was not a personal thing but more of a technical issue. Lots of people have technical issues with getting in the Pub and get kicked out a lot. It just happens sometimes.

Welcome to dz.com though;)

Is saying KMA a personal attack? Sorry, I didn't think so. Actually, the jerkoff comment might be considered one, so I'll retract that and edit it. KMA isn't much of a personal attack IMHO. Anyway, it wasn't the best welcome I've ever recieved and irked me a bit so I posted it.

Dude, I've been kicked off for just being... me!:|
As soon as I get elevated to übermeister of this website (should be anytime now), I'll give you the power to kick people in the nuts. Even chicks.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'm still kicked out... I blame you :|

Well, that's what you get for flashing people in the pub.:|

Can't get in either. Damn! I guess I'll stick with Champions League replays tonight. And pasta. Pasta is a good idea. Anything that gets that taste off my mouth. Must be Ashtanga's lips balm. He keeps kissing Rebecca's avatar before I get to do it. Not fair.:|

Bank that one as another coherent Frenchy post...:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

well the server is refusing connection. who runs the server anyway? how many DZ.com users are usually on at one time??

I've been running an irc server for about 3 or so I may be able to help.

If you have Mozilla (not just firefox but the full mozilla suite) you have a decent irc client embedded. it's way better than using a java applet.

otherwise I really suggest you download a client like mIRC with a script. Here is my mIRC with eXtreme script: http://www.dogicdesign.com/myspace/images/mIRC1.jpg

way way easier on the eyes and much faster, much more stable than java applets. Once they make up their mind about the server I will config it and put it up for download.
-----------
"Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope. Charlie Bronson's always got rope!"
- The Boondock Saints

Well I just joined DZ about 6 minutes ago from rc.com. Were were invited to join the pub chat in the rc.com community forum. I was on for about 1 minute, typed like 3 sentences, then it said some j[edited]f named cornholio kicked me out. What a ripoff.

I thought the DZ people were pretty well recieved at rc.com. The few who posted there seemed nice and cool and stuff, but cornholio can kiss my ass.

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ok for once it wasn't me that kicked someone off by mistake or whatever and get's attacked for it. :D

For the record, I know Cornholio and he's actually one of the coolest dudes you can meet. I'm usually the one kicking people off for no reason, not him. Ask Frenchy or DenRen or that damn dirty hippy. Once I kicked Betsy off by mistake too. If that doesn't put the fear of god in ya nothing will! LOL

Don't go asking me about IPPs or CCN servers or anything though because I don't know shit about this stuff.

:P

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

For some reason I cannot get back in i just rebooted my computer and everything is wiped out and fresh and not sure what to do so i can login to the chat? Can someone forward me a clicky of what to download since im fairly new to all this computer stuff!:SThanx;)

Blue Skies and Terminal Memories 4 Life

For some reason I cannot get back in i just rebooted my computer and everything is wiped out and fresh and not sure what to do so i can login to the chat? Can someone forward me a clicky of what to download since im fairly new to all this computer stuff!:SThanx;)

Think the IRC server went down, I have not been able to connect since last night.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hello,

Oh boy a thread about me!! I'm so excited!!

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what happened last night as I don't keep a log of what happens in the chat room anymore (ask the old timers and they'll tell you why - what happens in the pub stays in the pub.)

So just to set the record straight, I did NOT kick you or anyone for no apparent reason. There are a couple of reasons why I can see why you got kicked:

1) You were just an asshole immediately from the start and I manually kicked you. Unlikely, as it's been quite a few weeks since I kicked anyone for being a dick.

2) You were flooding the channel. Text Flood Protection triggers when there are more than 4 lines within one second of each other.

3) Server splits/rejoins. When the server splits and joins people come and go all the time. It may seem like I am kicking you out, but in reality I have no control over this. A few others said that they couldn't get into the chatroom after you posted. This is probably the most likely scenario.

4) Very rare - when I am roaming my work campus with IRC running, I have been known to randomly kick people out as I join/leave the chat room between wireless APs. This has happened once that I can think of, and I try to remember to shut down my IRC when travelling with laptop.

And to be quite honest, I wasn't even around my computer last night from 6PM-11PM PST (when this supposed kicking/banning was taking place.) More than likely it was the server acting up.

Just so everyone knows - the irc server is not mine. It doesn't belong to anyone here on dz.com. however I created the room (or actually took ownership from slappie) but that gives me the power to run the room. And as many people have stated here so far - I don't abuse the power - that's GFD's job. ;)

So chill dude.. Come back in now, if you want and we can talk about it. GFD and I are in there now laughing about this.

Later.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Here is directly from my IRC server's site. These are pretty much UNIVERSAL IRC rules:

IRC Etiquette
Here are some pretty simple rules that can make your and everyone else's experience better.

Asking for OPs
One annoying gesture rises above all others - asking to be made a Channel Operator or even worse, asking to be an IRCop. Please DO NOT EVER ask to be an OP especially if you are new on the network. It doesn't take much common sense to figure out that this will:
A. not work
B. annoy those people who have heard it a million times before
C. possibly ruin your chances at becoming OP for asking such a stupid question
Being an OP does not mean you get to kick people out for anything that bothers you. You should most of all be helping others. An OP should be very familiar with IRC and display good sense of judgment. If we think you'll make a good OP, we will ask you in due time.

Flooding
The second most annoying action on IRC is flooding. When a user is flooding it usually means that he or she is entering an unreasonable amount of lines in a very short period of time thus causing the screen to scroll by too fast for everyone thereby ruining any ongoing conversation. This is very annoying, so please don't do it. This is one thing that WILL get you kicked or probably temporarily banned from a channel.
Changing your nick too many times in a short period of time is also considered flooding. Joining and parting a channel over and over also floods user's screens by announcing you. There is no reason to change your nick 15 times in 10 seconds so please don't do it.

Other helpful suggestions
Treat everyone with respect especially OPs
Keep bad language to a minimum
Do not spam in the channels
Do not advertise in the channels
Avoid typing everything in CAPS. Move your pinky 7/16ths of an inch and turn it off
Do not ever try to send viruses to others - that's an instant ban from the network
All in all just be cool and have a good time

-----------
"Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope. Charlie Bronson's always got rope!"
- The Boondock Saints