j_ung

RC.com Represent!

...Finally I rappeled off the end of the line. It was really creepy, because that's been one of my big fears in climbing for years. For a second I felt this massive panic, then I went back into skydiving mode and was fine.

Dude, you've got to try that off a bridge. It's pretty much the scariest thing I've ever experienced.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Fer fuck's sake, Jay... you would have to start something over here, before anyone else could. *sigh*

RC.com, representin'. ;) I sorta like this place. The boobies make me feel right at home. Gotta start a grassroots movement to get them allowed at RC.com, without getting tarpitted...

FWIW, if skydiving wasn't so damned expensive, I'd probably do it in addition to everything else. So little money, so many toys...

Cheers, all. Stop by RC any time. Anyone in the NYC area interested in climbing should feel free to drop me a line.

T
---------------------------------------------
Save the deep, soul-mate relationship for a chick who's into anal.

Is there any particular skydiving move or style that noobs see in movies that 90% or all sane respectable jumpers view as reckless, pointless and stupid?

BASE Jumping? ;)

Well I could be wrong but that whole chasing the chute thing you see in movies is their version of Vertical Limit. I I think if you're doing a normal altitude jump you have like about a minute before you're fucked.
-----------
"Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope. Charlie Bronson's always got rope!"
- The Boondock Saints

The movies are actually quite accurate. It is commonplace for somebody to throw their rig out the door then jump out after it just for kicks. We can even have a deep conversation over tea in freefall or under canopy. Freefall can last as long as you need it to, so you have time to do whatever you want. After all, once you leave the plane you stop falling... you're just floating up there. When we open our chutes, we pop back up in the air.

And what are you trying to say about vertical limit? You mean you can't actually tie a rope to yourself and jump off thousand foot cliffs with a big bottle of neon green nitroglycerin and catch yourself on the other side by whacking a few ice axes into the wall?

Now, Touching the Void, that was a good flick! (and documentary). I'm afraid that guy has more balls than I may ever possess.

we have a saying in my group of climbers: "Friends do not let friends sport rappel!"

That is too bad, because I like rappelling off of things...

Ok, so here is a funny rappel story... My knowledge of climbing gear is all about rappelling as I use it for work to get off high places after rigging lights or speakers in stadiums and the like... I don't think I have ever climbed rock, but I have used a crap load of climbing gear....

Anyway, a somewhat less than normal IQ rigger (not parachute rigger) friend of mine thought he would show off... He decided to slide down the chain for a chain motor, head first, to the ground...

Neat trick, it worked...

The next guy tried it feet first on a different motor... Only difference, that motor chain just had been oiled... I think he was in controlled freefall as he rode the chain down...

Lived without an injury, except to his pride...

So, my advice to all those RC.com folks... Don't oil your rope.:ph34r:

And what are you trying to say about vertical limit? You mean you can't actually tie a rope to yourself and jump off thousand foot cliffs with a big bottle of neon green nitroglycerin and catch yourself on the other side by whacking a few ice axes into the wall?

Now, Touching the Void, that was a good flick! (and documentary). I'm afraid that guy has more balls than I may ever possess.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying. I mean you could jump off the side of a cliff but running a sprint at 20,000 feet. :D won't happen

The ice axe thing works, except it would have torn his arms out. We had this discussion one night. If you look on a carabiner or any piece of climbing gear you'll find a rating in Kilonewtons. So my big locking carabiner says like 28 kN which equals about 5,200 pounds of force. If I exerted that kind of force on my body, IT would break before any of my gear did.

Anyway I'm really glad to see that people think so highly of rockclimbing. The danger with climbing is also less in the begining and worse at the end. You get exhausted, sometimes dehydrated if it's a really hot day. You really really have to pay attention and not screw up.
-----------
"Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope. Charlie Bronson's always got rope!"
- The Boondock Saints

So Mama...if they get to look at the boobies...do we get to bump up the Naked Post Whore thread and request the hot rockclimbing dudes to post pics to it? Huh? Huh? Huh? Please!!!! :$:D:)>:(

**ok...so I've had coffee. :P
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

do we get to bump up the Naked Post Whore thread and request the hot rockclimbing dudes to post pics to it? Huh? Huh? Huh? Please!!!!

Most definitely, I believe in equality. Besides that, any reason to bump up the Naked Post Whore thread is a good reason. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think I could be persuaded to give climbing sessons, for skydiving lessons. B|

The only place near me, charges $200 per sesson - 4 hours, I think, with one tandem jump. For my GF and I, that's a lot to afford.

T

I think I could be persuaded to give climbing sessons, for skydiving lessons.

That would be a great trade. The only problem with that is you have to find a skydiver who has the appropriate ratings to train you and who also jumps at the dz in your area. Most of us can jump with you once you have gone through your training and we can teach you new things in the air, but we can't do the initial training.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That would be a great trade. The only problem with that is you have to find a skydiver who has the appropriate ratings to train you and who also jumps at the dz in your area. Most of us can jump with you once you have gone through your training and we can teach you new things in the air, but we can't do the initial training.

Any of us, can and will, accept their pictures of boobies!:D

Chuck

Fair enough. Same with climbing, actually... best to learn from a qualified instructor; you learn a lot fewer bad habits. :)

T

Any of us, can and will, accept their pictures of boobies!:D

Chuck

Chuck, as I'm of the male persuasion, I don't think that showing ANYONE my boobies would be a good way to get jumping lessons. :o

T

drop in any time!!! :D (pun intended)

:D Scary! Maybe I'll rappel in.

Aussie rappel.

Oooo...I've never rappeled head first, have you?

I want to try it.

:$

Yes I have, it's very cool, like Tom Cruise in MI2
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

LOL...that guy peed on the mountain! :ph34r: Your sport is so much cooler than ours that way. I can't pee while I'm skydiving, it will ruin my jumpsuit!