Vallerina

Jump for the Cause - a newbie's perspective

Did it really just happen? After three years of trying to learn as much about big-way flying, relative work and how to get on records, did I really just accomplish a skydiving goal? It all felt too great. It must've been a dream. Skydivers coming together to have such a strong, positive impact on the world...and I was a part of it. This was something much bigger than I can grasp even now.

As a newer skydiver, I had not yet experienced such a push to bring out the best in me to get over the emotional, physical and "in air" hurdles. With 8 planes and 150+ skydivers, the picture was never going to look the same (especially if you leave 6 seconds before the base does. :D) The dive was never going to be perfect. I had to be on. I had to be aware of everything around me while still knowing what's going on ahead of me. I had to fly well enough to not have to even think about moving my body somewhere in less than a second if I needed to. I felt similar nerves as I had during my student status days. However, this pressure was beyond my own performance. I didn't want to screw up not just because I'd look bad. I didn't want to let down these women that I'm now fortunate to call friends.

I tried to take care of myself as best as I could so that wouldn't be a hindrance. I took my vitamins, drank water, ate decent, slept well and wore everything I could to protect myself from the sun. For some time before the event, I made sure to lift weights 2-3 times a week. Even though I prepared myself as best as I could physically, nothing can prepare a person emotionally. What impresses me about the organizers is their ability to cater towards everyone's psychological needs. Some people need to be pushed hard. Some people need to be relaxed. Their words of encouragement and their ability to create an environment where such a strong bond forms amongst the skydivers really amazes me. Strength came out in all of us after we celebrated in the main landing area to walk back to hear that we're on an hour call. Nancy (my plane captain) really put it best: I was fortunate to be able to make another skydive with all of these incredible people. I am fortunate that I get to see in person what everyone else will see in Parachutist. I am lucky to experience it. Instilling confidence that we could do this jump perfectly, that's a leader.

To make the record feel even sweeter, they waited until the end to announce how much money was raised (though, I think that amount is supposed to go up even more by a bit, so I'll wait to post...or someone else can if they know for sure.) Holy moly! :o And Pam...WOW! I'm very impressed with the hard work put forth to help others.

I've been to boogies and other skydiving events where you feel a strong bond with the people you usually jump with. The bond that I felt with the people on my plane went beyond normal boogie buddies. It was mentioned that it seemed to be a "courtesy contest." Encouragement rather than finger pointing was a common theme. There was a certain magic surrounding Jump for the Cause that I have never experienced before. JFTC went beyond individuals, and it really defined what the word "team" means. Hopefully, I get to do it all over again!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Congratulations! I know you have been working towards that for a LONG time. Even I had the funniest thought lately. "I think I want to get 'serious' about skydiving when I return to full time jumping." I mean ME...........serious? :D I keep seeing all these people that I have "grown up with" in skydiving doing all this cool stuff and I now want to be there. Cobgrats agian...........that is probably one of the biggest "deals" for a woman in skydiving these days. :)

There was a certain magic surrounding Jump for the Cause that I have never experienced before.

I think that all of us felt the magic, even when reading about it online.:)
Val, you and Portia, Eliana, Mar, Arlo, Lori, Amy, Kate, etc, etc, etc....all of the JFTC ladies are my heroes. All of you deserved that record, after all of that hard work! Congratulations to all of the JFTC ladies! B|

Val,

lets not forget that you are also a California state record holder!

Words can not express the honor i felt just as an observer to be there to witness the formation.

Congratulations to you and all the women of JFTC 2005. I plan on being back in 2008 to see the next record jump!

Bunge

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

I would like to add that I still have not had any 151 to celebrate, and I still think I'm a strong contender for best bruise. (Actually, it's just so many different bruises that they are merging into one.)

Cool summary, Val. Thanks to you and all the women on the world record for giving us newbies something to aspire to.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Congratulations, Val! B|

You should be very proud of what you've accomplished - not just the record but also the journey you've been on for the past three years, the journey that took you from "hey I'd like to do that" to "hey I'm a freakin' world record holder!"

I know it was a long, strange trip... but what a reward at the end, eh? ;)

I know it was a long, strange trip... but what a reward at the end, eh?

Hell yeah! You gonna be on it again in '08? ;) When people ask me why I want to dirt dive for an hour, have that many canopies in the air with me (although, I'd have to say, it was really nice to be able to play under canopy on Saturday), and do all that work for just one jump.....explaining how it felt to do JFTC would be like trying to explain freefall to someone who has never done it.

And, Remster, my bruises have already faded quite a bit. :P

I think Barb gets the award for best bruise. And that picture doesn't even show her other shoulder!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think Barb gets the award for best bruise. And that picture doesn't even show her other shoulder!

Yes, its a good job that we made her put her jumpsuit on for the survivors interview. She looked more like a domestic abuse survivor than a cancer survivor that day :)

nice pic Mary!!

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

Yup, it pays to be super floater, no one around you and you don't get too "crowded" in the door:)
Val, congrats to you being a World Record Holder!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You gonna be on it again in '08?

Most likely, but I won't make that decision until... oh... 2007 or so. ;)

I do know that I'm not sure I like being a former world record holder nearly as much as I liked being a current world record holder. :ph34r:

does your suit being on the current record help you out any, lisa?

Only if it was you wearing it, Trouble. :D You deserved to be on the record jump this time. I'm so happy for you!

thanks again for the use of the suit and accessories.

Not a problem, after hearing about some of the jumpsuit issues last week I'm even happier that I sent it.

Now hurry up and send it back so I can go jump with the mojo of two world records in my suit. I'm sure that will help my belly flying skills immensely. ;)