Ashtanga

Classic Movies

Since changing my avatar to honor "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" I have been PM'd from people asking me what it is and I have even had men hitting on me thinking it was me in the picture. :D I am surprised at how many people have never seen that movie. I mean this is a classic movie that everyone should see.

It made me think. What movies would you consider classic and would recommend those who have not seen it to see?

Personally I would have this list. Although I will probably add more these are off the top of my head.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Ferris Bueller's Days Off
The Breakfast Club
St. Elmos Fire
About Last Night

Ok so I admit I was a fan of the Brat Pack. :D

THE GRADUATE!

For me classics aren't really classics because they were before my time. But I hear about them and watch them and enjoy them. :)

The Graduate is by far one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

"That sounds like a pretty half-baked idea to me."
"Oh no, it's completely baked."
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

good thread :P

i shamefully am also one of the few that has not seen fast times... and ferris bueller is a great one.. but to add to your list...

the princess bride
goonies
revenge of the nerds
one crazy summer

wow you know what its harder to list them when you're asked, gimme some time i'll have a much longer list.. but this is great cause it'll give me a list to catch up on...

edited to add:

the evil dead trilogy
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Must sees:

- Airplane! - destroyed the airplane disaster genre for a few years

- Blazing Saddles - destroyed the Western. Can anybody who's seen that movie ever see a campfire scene again without thinking of it?

- History of the World, Part I - all time great, and add "Young Frankenstein" and "High Anxiety" to that list.

- Back to School - "The Triple Lindy"

- Army of Darkness - some great one liners. "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun," "Gimme some sugar, baby," "Shop smart - shop S-Mart." Evil Dead 2 is also a great one.

- Full Metal Jacket - 'nuff said.

- 16 Candles - if for no other reason than for Geddy Watanabe's performance in the role of Long Duc Dong.

- the Princess Bride - "Youv'e just fallen victim to one of the two classic blunders."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hmmm...

Lawrence of Arabia
The Battle of Britain
My Favorite Year
The Year of Living Dangerously
Cyrano de Bergerac (with Gerard Depardieu )
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Longest Day
The Apartment
Bonjour Tristesse
Claire's Knee
Manhattan

and of course,

Amazon Women on the Moon

:D

Shall

Fast Times was on tv last night, coincedentally!

It seems like you are referring to "cult 80's style classics" right?

What about:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future
Lost Boys
Weird Science
The Goonies
Risky Business
Caddyshack
The Blues Brothers
Trading Places
Big
Heathers
Pump Up the Volume

God, there really is not much i miss about the 80's but growing up as a teenager during them and watching some of these movies late at night, growing up (especially the likes of the Breakfast Club and Ferris Buellers Day Off) makes me reminisce about how much i miss those times!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

This is funny I found this post. My SO were laying around on Sunday night and somehow Footloose came up and she said she hadn't seen it. Needless to say we went and rented it that night. Sara Jessica Parker looked better in that movie than she does now IMO. We've now dedicated Sunday evenings to 80s night for a while anyways. Here are some others, most of which she hasn't seen.

Bull Durham
The Goonies
Short Circuit
Weird Science
Strange Brew
The Breakfast Club
Rocky Horror Picture Show (I know its from the 70s but it's sill cool.)
Tron
Full Metal Jacket (I still can't believe that Vincent D'Onofrio was Private Pyle you may recognize him from a show called Law & Order: CI as Det. Robert Goren. He lost some weight that's for sure.)
Real Genius
Top Secret
Top Gun

The list goes on and on.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."