lisamariewillbe

Snowboarding

Clay told me to take lessons from you? why would he want my arms in casts?

Maybe he loves the idea of waiting on you for 8 weeks. ;)

I'm sure it was just his very odd sense of humor showing through. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Okay so would a skydiving helmet suffice as a helmet?

Depends on what kind of skydiving helmet you have.

Define wrist guards? Just plain supports like a ace bandage or is there something specfic?

There are gloves that have built in wrist guards that you can take out once you have the hang of it. Or you could get some guards like they use for roller blading. Just put those on either under or over your gloves. The guards that you buy over the counter at a drug store aren't strong enough to prevent your wrist from breaking.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I started snowboarding two years ago (and, as an aside, my first instructor ended up being a skydiving student at the same time as me until he blew out his knee wakeboarding).

I agree with everyone else - it will be frustrating at first. Take lessons. Take more lessons. It'll help. Eventually things will click and you'll be linking turns, but it can be annoying at first. Waterproof gear is key, as is an ability to smile and laugh as you pick yourself up yet again. You'll be sore but it's worth it when it finally clicks. And when you really get moving, PLF techniques come in handy when you wipe out.:S

Let Clay go off and do his own thing while you and the kid get lessons. Plus, since you'll probably need to rent gear, most resorts have awesome deals on rentals/lift tickets/lessons... that'll end up being cheaper than renting and lift itckets alone.

Can't wait till the snow this year - I'm just hoping we actually have some snow in the Cascades this year.:|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

lol no hes buying my rig, the other clay is buying my ring... oh shit, I only have one left hand....

Okay more serious note, Do you even Snowboard or is this new for you to? Cause this seems more involved then two days on the slope...

I so am going to break something B|
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

no hes buying my rig

Good...........cause you sho as hell ain't getting one from me. ;)

Do you even Snowboard or is this new for you to?

Sweety...........I have been to EVERY resort in Eastern Washington State and Northern Idaho and even a couple in Canada on my board. Did a little skiing in Utah too. The only bad part.........I haven't been on a snowboard in about 12 years now. :D I'm sure it's like riding a bike though! I just MAY not be getting 20 Ft of air off the big jumps right away. :D

Nah, if you've got two full days and you're in good shape you should be able to make some decent progress. Between now and then, though, work on your quads. They're the part of your body that needs to be strongest and the part that will ache once you get going.

General core strength is helpful, too.

And if it makes you feel any better, I'm tall and clumsy and I figured out how to snowboard. It's fun!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Good...........cause you sho as hell ain't getting one from me

Uhhh I have YOUR rig... jeesh mental block anyone?

I'm sure it's like riding a bike though

I cant do THAT either, did attempt to try in a state of drunkness at the last Orfun boogie, till someone kicked me off the bike, didnt even get to get the stopper up.

Your paying for any broken bones and waiting on me hand and foot when I cant walk >:(
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

So I this winter, am being conned into learning to snowboard. Hell Ive only played in the snow once in my life. Anyone else snowboard? Is it even fun? Wont I look fat in a sky jacket? If the kid does better at it then me will I look like a goober ? For real, anyone have any experience with strapping a piece of board to their feet and falling down a mountain?

Welcome to the club! I went for the first time ever last winter, and I am hooked.. This year I'm getting my own snowboard ( I rented last season) and skydiving will go on the backburner for the snow season probably..

Anyways.. like others said.. expect to spend a lot of time on your ass or your knees the first day.. I dont think I've been more tired in my life after the first day on the slopes with a snowboard.
Like the others said, wear good clothing (waterproof pants) and wrist protectors (I didn't but I wish I had even though I didnt get hurt)

Have fun!

I'm perfectly happy remaining an intermediate skier than switching over to boarding.

Btw, does anyone here know a skydiver who works (or worked a couple of seasons ago) at Sugar Bowl? I was there a couple of years ago and was wearing my alti that I just bought. The lift operator noticed it and said he was a skydiver.

I skiied my entire life up until that point. skiing got boring so i wanted something more fun.
boarding was it for me.

I'm a skiier, I have been for 24 years. It's never been boring. There's always a way to push it to the next level. Whether that be going faster, bigger, working on park / pipe / rail skills, new grabs and spins and tricks, big cliff drops, chutes, or hitting the technical steeps and deeps.

Snowboarding is boring, it was cool for a while, but more people are starting to realize skiing is where it's at.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

That might be Doc, a packer in Davis. I think he used to work at Northstar or Sugar Bowl;. He gave me some advice that helped on my 360's and half pipe skills when we were watching some skiing videos at Skydance later the same day.

I was wearing my camera helmet a few days at Kirkwood this season after skydiving the day before and didn't realize I left my Dytter inside it until it beeped 4 1/2 times at the top of the Wall chairlift.

I think I brought my Neptune with me before too. Maybe I'll see if I can get it to log a jump when I'm tucking a run this season. It's logged a few in the car ride from the mountains and commerical airlines.
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I skiied my entire life up until that point. skiing got boring so i wanted something more fun.
boarding was it for me.

I'm a skiier, I have been for 24 years. It's never been boring. There's always a way to push it to the next level. Whether that be going faster, bigger, working on park / pipe / rail skills, new grabs and spins and tricks, big cliff drops, chutes, or hitting the technical steeps and deeps.

Snowboarding is boring, it was cool for a while, but more people are starting to realize skiing is where it's at.

to each his own...

Alana, I want to learn how to snowboard this winter, help a sister out! I use to ski, snowboarding looks like so much fun :)

of course! lets go this weekend, since its supposed to be so cold! im sad mattys not coming anymore:(
but yeah... you have way better places to board in MI than here in OH... i used to go to 7 springs in PA a lot cause my roommate in college had a ski-out condo there, ah! im planning a trip to CO to crested bute this winter with JM, but the more the merrier:) there's a few decent places in WV, MI, NY, and PA for "around here"
lets do it!

Ok here we go...snowboarders are better then skiiers conversation...

Ya know what the real differences are??? one you stand forward, one you stand sideways...otherwise same thing...jumping shit, going fast, going higher etc.

So everyone get over themselves and what is "trendy" cause no matter which way ya do it you are still hauling ass down a hill of snow with something strapped to your feet!!!! AND IT IS FUN!!!

and yes I Ski, and have done a lil snowboarding ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I love snowboarders, I just have more fun on skis. The sport is different than the people, and I ride with snowboarders plenty. A good friend of mine used to board with a T-shirt that said "I love skiiers". It was great.

Alanab, are the mountains there open already? If so, I'm jelalous. I'll be up in Tahoe this weekend, but alas only to party. We were getting freshies the weekend before Halloween last year at Kirkwood.

Alanab, are the mountains there open already? If so, I'm jelalous. I'll be up in Tahoe this weekend, but alas only to party. We were getting freshies the weekend before Halloween last year at Kirkwood.

mountains in ohio? hahahah!

no nothings open around here yet... its 85 outside today!

plus we dont have mountains here... more like rolling hills... sometimesB|

Here in Colorado, we are looking at A-Basin being open on Oct 21, and Loveland is shooting for Oct 16th :)