skybytch

Does the dog wag the tail or vice versa?

The Notorious D.O.G. and I have questions for those dog experts out there. We expect that many non-dog experts will also reply, but we're smart enough to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff and we'll take all answers and the required huge grains of salt to our instructor for verification prior to using any of the information gleaned from this thread.

Can a dog wag it's tail when it wants to and not wag it's tail when it doesn't want to, or is tail wagging an involuntary action?

Is it possible to train a dog to wag it's tail on command? The Notorious One says no way.

And one last question that the D.O.G. insists that I ask - why are all dogs other than Border Collies so lame?

And one last question that the D.O.G. insists that I ask - why are all dogs other than Border Collies so lame?

If you ever disparage the German Shepherd dog again, directly or indirectly, I am going to be forced to pee in your shoes. :|

;)
cavete terrae.

the wagging tail of a dog often signals uncertainty, or anxiety. Wether or not its good or bad. So, I belive it to be involuntary.

I also believe that you can train a dog to wag its tail, just as Pavlov trained a dog to salivate to the sound of a bell.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I think it's often involuntary, but can also be voluntary - and I have seen dogs trained to do it. It's very hard to train that though, and I've seen very few people bother.

My dog has a tiny little piglet-tail permanently stuck to his butt. He cannot and does not wag it. When he gets excited, his whole body vibrates, which I attribute to tail-wag-muscle feedback.

As to the last question, on this you have been misinformed. Not *all* dogs other than border collies are lame. In fact, many border collies themselves are lame (although not, of course, the notorious D.O.G.). Attached is photographic evidence that other dogs are not, in fact, always lame.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

for those dog experts out there

By my username, I am a self proclaimed dog expert...

My parents Springer Spaniel wags his tail on command...

My Springer, who shows more signs of problem solving and intelligence, I have not been able to train to wag...

The thing is, I trained my parents springer to wag by saying "wag your tail"... But, what he hears is "good boy" - as I used them often in the same sentence... So, he is not wagging his tail, but happy to receive praise and the tail therefore wags... But to all those who don't know how I trained him, the tail wags on command.

I think dog's tail wagging is very controlled and voluntary - like a human smile... We smile when we are happy or hear something funny without thinking about it.... But if we want to be a sorry puss, we can keep a straight face if we try...

Why do I think that??? Well, my dog, again who is a little smarter than my parents, got sick of his stubby cropped tail getting hit by the car door as he jumps in the car... So, he puts his "garage door down" and tucks his stub close to his butt the second his feet get in the car because he knows the door might beat his ass in... Even if his tail is wagging, he stops it and puts it down... Other times in the park, his body language is in his tail... When the stub is straight up he is at full attention, but as he approaches another dog he will wag it a bit to show the dog he is friendly, but it is a slow and controlled wag that I believe he is very careful to use... When that other dog comes back to sniff his ass like dogs do, he again puts the garage door down...

That is my theory, and as a self proclaimed expert, me thinks I am right. he he he...;)

you'll never pass up a chance to talk about pussy, will you, Shannon?

I wouldnt think so. Shannon loves pussy! :|

Goddamn hippies piss me off. Go wash your feet or something.

:P

awwww.. isnt that cute! Shannon is so cute when i piss her off. :o:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Screw dogs. Let's talk about cats!

Okay. The Notorious D.O.G. likes cats. They're one of the few animals that can run faster than she can, thus making them great aerobic cardiovascular training aids.

Although if they ain't runnin', she ain't interested.

She's reminded me to remind all of you that Border Collies are not only fast runners, but are also smarter than the average human. I won't tell you if she thinks I'm average or not.

Not an exact answer to your question, but maybe a fun fact....

My border collie just had a litter of pups last night...the first movement from them was a tail wriggle. Now other than screaming like piglets, all their little tails are going nuts...even in their sleep:o
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

She's reminded me to remind all of you that Border Collies are not only fast runners, but are also smarter than the average human. I won't tell you if she thinks I'm average or not.

You are right, that Molly loves to run.

As far as being smarter then my baby, are you sure?

Give Molly a big hug from me and Rose. We miss you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey