skinnyshrek

Imported Beer

I like Stouts. Mmmm a drink and a meal all in one. Problem with Stouts is there isn't enough variety. It seems to be guiness, or you need to drive an hour to a Micro Brewery to buy a stout... If I lived in Massachucessets(i think that's how it's spelt) I would have plenty of variety of stouts
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Stouts are great, and Guinness is particularly great if you want to have dinner and drinks in the same glass. The interesting thing about Guinness is that its alcohol content is less than your typical ale (about 4.0%). I knew a guy who used to say he could drink Guinness all night and not wake up with a hangover. Probably true, given the alcohol content.

The problem I run into with stouts is they don't travel well (at least in cases/bottles). So if you don't have them on tap, they are not quite the same. Even the (relatively) new Guinness cans, which in my opinion are as close as you can get to Guinness on tap and much better than Guinness in a bottle, don't quite grasp it.

(For those who have only had Guinness in bottles after having it on tap -- and been disappointed with the bottles -- the cans have a little widget that basically acts to carbonate the stout right as you open it, so it's neither flat nor bubbly... Neat invention.)

If you're into the flavor, check out McEwans Stout or some of the Oatmeal Stouts.

I'm actually not too fond of that one...just not my preference. Dark? A good Dunkel Hefeweizen like a Franziskaner is great.

The name is deceiving.It really is not a dark beer.:S

Yeah, I know, but as I said, I'm not fond of the taste.

The problem I run into with stouts is they don't travel well (at least in cases/bottles). So if you don't have them on tap, they are not quite the same. Even the (relatively) new Guinness cans, which in my opinion are as close as you can get to Guinness on tap and much better than Guinness in a bottle, don't quite grasp it.

(For those who have only had Guinness in bottles after having it on tap -- and been disappointed with the bottles -- the cans have a little widget that basically acts to carbonate the stout right as you open it, so it's neither flat nor bubbly... Neat invention.)

The difference between Guinness Stout (tap, can, bottle w/ widget) and Guinness Extra Stout (bottle w/o widget) is nitrogen. The Stout has nitrogen in the widget, and the Extra Stout does not.

Nitrogen -- that's interesting.

I'm a brewer by hobby, and had wondered what the widgets do, precisely. (I've cut them open and realized they were resevoirs of gas, but didn't know what, precisely, the gas was, and assumed it was carbon dioxide). It's definitely non-standard brewing technology. On the other hand, I brew relatively simple ales that self-carbonate (yeast is an amazing microorganism), so I haven't had need to address that.

Don't like the beer you're drinking. Make your own. I do a nice Porter, and occasional stout, 5 gallons at a time. I appreciate the Guiness, esp. with the nitrogen. A little microbrewerey 10 minutes from my house has their own nitrogenated stout. It's always my first choice. Still like a Belgian white every now and then, and can even appreciate an ice cold Coors (banquet style, not light). They really do make a nicely hopped, well balanced beer.

And the thing about women drinking dark beer? It just sounds like the kind of woman who can bait her own hook, hike twenty miles, and jump out of a plane or two. Just sounds damn sexy. :)

I do a nice Porter

Any time you need a taste tester, John, you just let me know. I consider myself an afficionado of the Porters.:)

And the thing about women drinking dark beer? It just sounds like the kind of woman who can bait her own hook, hike twenty miles, and jump out of a plane or two. Just sounds damn sexy. :)

Yep, sounds like just the kind of chick I'd jump the fence for!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ffuuuuuuuuccckkk.......

You've finally stumped haven't you, you FAT C*NT??!!:|

By my calculations, I've spent about 37% of my post-21 waking life (OK, bullsh*t. I started when I was 16) preaching on this very topic, and then someone poses a "simple" question and I go into android-like mental overload.....:S
The answer is 42!!

OK, I haven't travelled the world enough to find the true answer, but I can make some educated suggestions:
Oranjeboom and Hoegaarden. Not only two of the best lagers on earth, but also fun to order.

And since the REST of us cannot live on Lager alone,,,

Fullers IPA, Bert Grant's India Pale Ale. For those who like to make the Real Man's BEER FACE when they drink. (Where's the bitter ale face smiley?)

Maudite, Fin Du Monde and Trois Pistoles. For those who want to enjoy only the fullest flavor while getting knocked squarely on their f*cking ASS. There's a reason they only pack these in 4's.

Of course, Trappist Ales are empirically the best beers known to modern man, so anything marked Chimay or Orval is a pleasant addition necessity. ......(To be reserved ONLY for those of us who you've NEVER seen drinking a Natty Pisswater Lite!!!)

And let's not forget my dear friend John Courage.

PS: Most beers are made with barley. The difference between Lager and Not Lager is the type of yeast used, not the grains. Ogre.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

(Where's the bitter ale face smiley?)

I think it's this one: :S Or if they're really trying to be tough, this one: [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Stella Artois (not the shite brewed in the UK)

what do you mean shite.... you can beat a good can of Stella...
The imported stuff we get over hear is ok, but its not the best....

Also can is Chang Beer and Beer Lao available in any othter country..... MMmmmmmm Chang.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

you can beat a good can of Stella...

Nah, you can beat someone up after a good can of UK Stella. Fizzy shite.

Also can is Chang Beer and Beer Lao available in any othter country..... MMmmmmmm Chang.....

I've not seen Chang outside South-East Asia, but there's probably a few Thai restaurants in Sydney that stock it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between Guinness Stout (tap, can, bottle w/ widget) and Guinness Extra Stout (bottle w/o widget) is nitrogen. The Stout has nitrogen in the widget, and the Extra Stout does not.

holy shit. I can see there's a HUUGE beer ignorance problem going on here.

The "widgets" contain a mixture of about half & half nitrogen/ carbon dioxide. but if you think that's the only difference, you not only do not understand beer, you have a reading disability.

The stuff in the bottles without the widget is called Guinness Extra Stout. As any brewer will tell you, it is a stout brewed with extra malt ( & hence a higher alcohol content, ie, 7.4% or so, as Guinness Extra is)

Guiness Draft, either in the bottles w/ the widget or thecans w/ the widget, is only 4.2% alcohol. The widgets and the taps on draft in bars contain a mixture of carbon dioxide and nitrogen, to simulate the old-time air-pumped taps. (Did any of you ignorant faggots know that air on Planet Earth is about 70% nitrogen?) The same taps & widgets are used for the NON STOUT Boddingtons Ale!! That's why for both Guiness Stout and Boddingtons you get that lovely cascading effect of all those creamy bubbles!!

I'm sure I have, long ago, lost those cretins who love crap beer, but I hope I've cleared things up a bit for those who know how beer is supposed to be.

B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You could have named anything brewed in Canada, for our American friends its all imported.

Hey does any know making love in a canoe and American beer have in common?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy