j0nes

Why do you think most 1st time jumpers don't continue through student program?

money. that was the reason i didn't think about starting AFF after my first tandem. In my head i was thinking.......damn that was AWSOME to bad i don't have enough money to keep doing that!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I did my first, second and third tandems in 2001. I started AFF (for the first time in 2002). I was very intimidated when I went through AFF the first time. I was dating (in my mind) a skygod (not saying he acted that way AT ALL), but he was right there and was videoing my jumps. Pressure I was putting on myself because I've always been good at any type of sport before trying out skydiving. Anyway, I walked away from skydiving (on a personal level)... I still went to the DZ's and hung out, but really thought long and hard about whether I was pursuing it for me or for him. When we broke up, I realized that I missed the sky and I wanted to get back up there. I actually did a Level 4 in November 2003, stayed away the complete year of 2004 because of financial reasons, but decided to come back this year from a little nudging of a friend that had also been away for a year and a half. (He has since turned back into a wuffo).;):P(Hi Bennie Boo, if you are reading this)It will be nice to have my own rig. When I finally get that, I think I really will believe that I am a skydiver.

I think quite alot do it just for the experience, especially tandems etc, which is why I ticked other. :)

Yep, they did it once to say they did.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I feel like most people do a tandem with the intention of experiencing the act of "skydiving" one time. It's a simple training class, not as much responsibility, and a fun, fun, fun ride. Plus you can tell everyone you are a "skydiver":D

Actually, that's what I was gonna do...just one. It was a dare I made to myself......Then I did another, and ano...

you should see my checking accountB|

is

I think that's a big part of it. There are plenty of people who just want to do it once, just to say they did it! SOme go in thinking that's what they're going to do, but they like it so much they keep going back. That was me! Even after I started AFP, I was still kidding myself into thinking I would just do it until I could do it alone. The first time someone suggested I ought to buy a trailer to keep at the DZ, I laughed! A year later, after spending an entire season tenting it every weekend, I had one! :)

My vote is time and money. It's an expensive sport and it takes a big time commitment.

true

i inherited the money to do this a few months ago, without that, there is no way i could have gone through AFF like i did. it eats your momney and time

My vote is time and money. It's an expensive sport and it takes a big time commitment.

That's what's got me. Learning how to budget myself better so I can finish AFP within a couple weeks next year. Skydiving (the very little I've done) has helped me be more conservative with my money.

I disagree with the time commitment. If you don't have 1 day a week to go out and make some jumps you don't need to be looking for any kind of recreational activities really. The whuffos in my office that play softball spend way more time doing that in a week than I do skydiving. I think it is a mix of money, fear, and interest. Some come out to do it once, some try it with the possibility of continued training but are afraid to continue, and some just can't afford it.

Edited to add that if you have the time everyone can afford it. I got laid off from work halfway through my student progression and made the money to finish by learning to pack and then packing enough to make a jump and then packing some more.

Greenie in training.

I think it's a combination of sticker shock and some unrealistic expectations on the part of rookie jumpers. After they swallow that fact that they are facing a training course in excess of a thousand dollars or so, they come right up against the fact that skydiving is not an easily mastered sport and the ground has no forgiveness of mistakes. Skydiving, after all, takes a considerable personal commitment to master. The current crop of MTV bred citizens seem to have little interest in making the commitment needed to become competent in the sport. Also, newcomers and other whuffos have some pretty far out perceptions. I have seen students truly shocked by the fact we can't jump in IFR conditions, for example. Couple the short attention span, unrealistic expectations and major commitment required, and it's no wonder we have a vanishingly small sport.:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

That's what's got me. Learning how to budget myself better so I can finish AFP within a couple weeks next year. Skydiving (the very little I've done) has helped me be more conservative with my money.

Definetly I stopped going out to the bars (for the most part) trying to do everything I can this winter so I can have my own rig and at least a few 100 jumps by next summer. It took nme a couple years to get through my AFP because of money.

***Glory Favors the Bold***

I disagree with the time commitment. If you don't have 1 day a week to go out and make some jumps you don't need to be looking for any kind of recreational activities really.

To be good at the sport when first starting out you need to be going out to the DZ more then once a week;)

There are some people that do other things on the weekends, say like family. How many of those just starting out can just leave all home responsibilities by the way side and skydive their butts off?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

How about this... because the fact that they didn't have to do anything in the tandem they didn't feel challenged enough, so they didn't feel the need to carry on.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

This was in ~1980. Round (military?, definitely not a sport canopy, like ParaCommander) canopy. Landing felt like jumping off the roof of a house. Probably pooched my plf's somewhat, though! It was in a windy area, which left a lot of crappy student days. Steering instruction was given to students under canopy by a dz guy rotating a giant wind triangle, which was really cool and easy to follow. Those are the only two dislikes I had and with the "new" canopies used in training today, they probably are much less of an issue. Those two and deciding to go to college ($) are the reasons.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Bragging rights.
Most students only intend on making one jump so they can brag to all their buddies that they are "skydivers."
On cloudy days, I find it amusing that some students are more concerned about being late for a party ... You get the impression that tandem jumping is just a step on their way to a party for they can brag ...
It is probably similar in other adventure sports. For example, some one told me that only half of the people who graduate from basic scuba school even bother to pick up their licenses.
That notion is reinforced by the dozens of tandem students who tell me they are also into scuba diving, but upon closer questioning ... they reveal that they only dive in the carribbean ... while on vacation ... every second or third year.
Yet they still enjoy bragging about being scuba divers.