davedlg

Here comes Wilma....Florida are you ready?

From watching the news this morning, it seems the tornadoes are causing more problems than the actual hurricane. I'm north of the hurricane's path, but we're still under tornado warnings. There's no school today and I think most places aren't making people go into work.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think I have to go to work this afternoon, but only after Sarasota's EOC gives an all clear. We aren't allowed to be on the roads with winds greater than 35 mph or so. Right now it looks doubtful.

We didn't lose power/or haven't yet. amazing! All my plants even stayed put in the garden. Lots of branches down in the yard though. It's still pretty gusty out there, but we're supposed to be out of the woods by noon.

"I have a battery charged DVD player and have FinalCut with Robin Williams; Million Dollar Baby with Hillary Swank; The Day After Tomorrow with Dennis Quade; and The Terminal with Tom Hanks. Hopefully theyll be entertaining and help pass the time.

"

"The Day After Tomorrow" sounds like appropriate viewing...

Good luck, by the way.

It's dying down now, thankfully. They still don't want people on the roads though because they say many deaths occur after the storms are over. I'm catching up on chores...I just pulled out my refrigerator and cleaned the floor under it. That was gross. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's dying down now, thankfully. They still don't want people on the roads though because they say many deaths occur after the storms are over. I'm catching up on chores...I just pulled out my refrigerator and cleaned the floor under it. That was gross. :P

That is one of those chores that no one wants to do, so by the time you get behind there it is really nasty.

Hope you all haven't gotten too much damage from the storm.
F LORIDA!

got a call from my little bro a few hours ago. hes in vero beach, says the power is out, limbs and trees are down everywhere, his roof is leaking, and no one can go anywhere. he lost everything last year and is just now gettin back on his feet. guess not huh? [:/]

yall take care down there!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Yesterday, I was at the HM boogie in SC.

At 4pm, I called in to our work number and the message was "business as usual".
At 5pm, I called my manager, "business as usual".
At 7pm, I hit the Florida state line and my phone rang. My contracting company, "stay home".
:S

I could have stayed an extra day at the boogie.

Last night, I talked to people on the east coast and they said that their power would be cut at 7am.

In Zhills, it ils clear and windy right now. I'm going to go have lunch and then mow the lawn.

all's well in deland. as of 4am, nada. got a little wind (or "gustage", as a reporter on TWC called it :D), 9am until about noon just some rain and a few smaller gusts (30-40ish MAYBE). i think we had larger gusts in the past 2 hours than we did during the passing of the hurricane itself.

it is quite strange to have had a hurricane blow thru and the temp outside is 66 degrees right now. it's gonna get COLD. brrrrrrrrrrrr.

all's well in deland. as of 4am, nada. got a little wind (or "gustage", as a reporter on TWC called it :D), 9am until about noon just some rain and a few smaller gusts (30-40ish MAYBE). i think we had larger gusts in the past 2 hours than we did during the passing of the hurricane itself.

it is quite strange to have had a hurricane blow thru and the temp outside is 66 degrees right now. it's gonna get COLD. brrrrrrrrrrrr.

looks like everyone wasn't as lucky on damage:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1890316;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=16675832

Glad to hear you guys are all ok esp after the start of Wilma at Cat 5.

It rained Sunday nite, but beyond winds, my part of Sarasota didn't even get any rain after daylight. But we haven't had electricity since 4am monday morning!

When I went for a walk around the neighborhood after dark last nite, I discovered that everyone in the area had lights except 6 homes including mine! Hmm....what is that all about?

So we went to Barnes and Noble and hung out there till it closed.....Caught up on the latest magazines....:S

Good excuse to eat up all the icecream and goodies in the freezer though! At least I have my gas camping cookset, everything else in the house is electric powered. Don't have internet, the modem needs power, so here I am at the local bookstore checking emails and DZ.com.

Thanks for your best wishes, everyone!

Marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Well Fort Lauderdale got hit pretty hard. Power is out pretty much everywhere and they were saying that only 18 traffic lights were working in the county.

But they have water/ice stations setup, the grocery stores are open and well stocked(just no refrigeration) and people are cleaning up their yards and streets. The power/water system took a hit, but people's houses and buildings seem to have held up really well.

I'm at work with generators so I've had power all through this. As soon as they rotate me out I'll probably flee up north and camp at a dropzone until the lights come back on down here. If I'm not gonna have power, I might as well not have power while being at a DZ. :)

Typical Floridian. :D "It's below 71, let's light a bonfire." :D

I drove down Sunday night. Normally, Sunday night traffic is light, but this was real light. Who'd a thunk it? No one is driving into the hurricane with me except a line of tree-service trucks?
:D

Here we go again

Current predictions show Hurricane Wilma making landfall somewhere south of Tampa on Saturday afternoon. B|

Damn! this isn't Wilma, but just another example of nature (Katrina)