klingeme

Do you understand the benfits of a Collin's Lanyard?

Before reading this post, do you understand the benefits of a "Collin's Lanyard"?

A Collin's Lanyard simply ensures that the non-RSL side riser is disconnected in the case of the release of the RSL side riser. In the case of a riser release on the RSL side, as the riser leaves the container, it pulls the reserve pin. The Collin's Lanyard simply cuts away the non-RSL side riser as the RSL side riser leaves. If the RSL side riser releases without a Collin's Lanyard, the reserve will deploy into the main canopy that is still attached to to non-RSL side riser.

Mark Klingelhoefer
United Parachute Technologies

Hi Mark

Can you tell me how many broken risers have you seen since the last 5 years? (all types).
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

I don't personally process the risers recieved here, however, I have personally seen one pair about a month ago because I was answering some other questions for that customer. I have only been working here for about 4 years, and for 1 1/2 years of that time, I was doing raw materials inspection, for one year, I was on the road with our demo/boogie program. In the 1 and 1/2 years I've been in customer service, I have personally seen one set.

Mark Klingelhoefer
UPT

Before reading this post, do you understand the benefits of a "Collin's Lanyard"?

Obviously it's to downplay another manufacturer's RSL add-on technology!!! :P

All kidding aside, though - how often do risers actually break? I realize that *any* RSL or add-on like a Collins lanyard isn't going to do any good if the break is at any point above the RSL attachment point to the riser.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I realize that *any* RSL or add-on like a Collins lanyard isn't going to do any good if the break is at any point above the RSL attachment point to the riser.

Then it doesn't matter, though. Since the Collin's lanyard was created to alleviate a quick way to have a main/reserve entanglement due to the riser breaking and firing the RSL with the other side attached. If it breaks above the RSL connection, then a normal cutaway should occur.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I realize that *any* RSL or add-on like a Collins lanyard isn't going to do any good if the break is at any point above the RSL attachment point to the riser.

Then it doesn't matter, though. Since the Collin's lanyard was created to alleviate a quick way to have a main/reserve entanglement due to the riser breaking and firing the RSL with the other side attached. If it breaks above the RSL connection, then a normal cutaway should occur.

Afternoon, Dave -

Obviously, yes, you'd do a normal cutaway - I was only wondering HOW prevalent broken risers WERE, that's all.

Come to think of it...is it possible that the Collins lanyard could somehow prevent a clean cutaway with a broken riser on the RSL attachment side?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

how often do risers actually break? I realize that *any* RSL or add-on like a Collins lanyard isn't going to do any good if the break is at any point above the RSL attachment point to the riser.

I've seen one rather recently (below the RSL) and if it stops one person from having a reserve/Main entanglement, I think it an important piece of equipment to have available.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Don't need to break a riser... Here's an example:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6292

One of his risers just released on opening. Don't know why... connected by a rigger weeks prior. I believe the white loop was not found to be broken. Cutaway cables were long enough, etc...

He doesn't use an RSL, but that video shows about what it would have looked like if the RSL-side riser broke or released, since he either pulled his reserve or knocked the handle loose by accident before cutting away the other side.

Dave

Thanks, everyone, for the examples. I agree that (at least in principle) it's a good thing to have.

Are there downsides?

The Collins' Lanyard is nearly invisible, takes up no space, and weighs virtually nothing. It has been in use now for 12 years, with millions of jumps, and thousands of actual breakaways on it...all without even a hint of a problem. While nothing is perfect, it is such a simple device, that if you simply hook it up, I can't even imagine how it could ever not function as designed.

Saying you don't need it because accidental riser releases are rare, is exactly like saying that you shouldn't jump with an AAD, because you'll probably never need it either. That kind of thinking has killed many people. Whether you die from a rare malfunction, or a common one, you're still dead. I have personally seen videos of several jumps where one riser failed, and the Collins' Lanyard prevented a main-reserve entanglement, probably saving the jumper's lives. Accidental riser releases, not just broken risers, have happened dozens of times in the past, and will continue to happen in the future.

The Collins' Lanyard has been available for license to all sport manufacturers, as part of the Skyhook system, for over a year now. It is available on UPT and Sun Path rigs right now. Aerodyne and Mars have done the required test jumps, and should be putting it on their rigs soon. I can't imagine why anyone would not want it on their rig.

The Collins' Lanyard has been available for license to all sport manufacturers, as part of the Skyhook system, for over a year now. It is available on UPT and Sun Path rigs right now. Aerodyne and Mars have done the required test jumps, and should be putting it on their rigs soon. I can't imagine why anyone would not want it on their rig.

Can a Collins Lanyard be retro fitted to an older rig (like a 2001 Javelin) ? I know the Skyhook can't be retro-fitted, but would be eager to put a Collins on my existing rig if I could.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

PSA: the Collins lanyard is not a new invention, it has been around for a very long time.

Scott,

Are you sure you are not thinking of the Stevens lanyard?

Sparky

It looks as if Kyle Collins came up with the general idea around 1995 - so, while it doesn't have the same longevity as the Stevens lanyard (RSL), it's still been around a while.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Is the Collin's Lanyard available for licensing separate from the Skyhook?

If it is, why wasn't there really an (apparent) marketing push for it until the Skyhook?

That's a good question. Two reasons: 1. I won't license anything until it is throughly proven on my product. Usually that take about five years, or a million jumps or so. (I remember only too well how some other manufacturers almost ruined the three ring by making "improvements") 2. Once it was proven, I incorporated the Collins' into the Skyhook, and the test period started all over again. And now that the Skyhook is a proven item, (over seven thousand in use, with millions of jumps, and thousands of actual uses) I can't believe anyone would want to jump with an RSL without a Skyhook. It simply doesn't make any sense. So I decided to license them both, as a unit, last year.

As you can see, I went about introducing the Skyhook very methodically, because I knew that because it was such a radial idea, if even one serious problem happened within the first 5 years / 1 million jumps, that the whole idea would be dead. Luckily everything has gone well, and the Skyhook/ Collins' Lanyard seems to be the most technically perfect device I have yet developed.

PSA: the Collins lanyard is not a new invention, it has been around for a very long time.

Scott,

Are you sure you are not thinking of the Stevens lanyard?

Sparky

No, I wasn't thinking about the Stevens Lanyard when I posted that but now that you mention it,the Stevens has been around even longer than the Collins Lanyard...but I doubt most people know that.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING