KMonster

Input on different snowboards

I'm looking for a new snowboard, my old and well-loved Burton Custom broke. I'm thinking of getting another Custom (the new Custom X is a bit pricey) or an Option either the Joni Makinen or Kendra Starr.

If you have any input on sweet boards, I would be happy to hear it. I am an advanced rider and I like all-around boards. There isn't really any good powder in Washington, so I want something that works well in the park and also on whatever else I'm cruising down.

Thanks for any info you can give.

As far as burton goes, it doesn't get much better than the custom X. I was riding one last year and they are very light and carve by themselves, well worth the $.

Tight on $ I would go for another custom or a salomon prospect.

I purchased a Salomon prospect from ebay at the end of last years season for $179 spanking new and it is real nice. Rated the 2005 park board of the year.

As far as brands. these are my picks.

Good luck
Dale

two time New Zealand gumboot throwing champ.

I know people are often hard on Burton because so many people ride them, but there is a reason. The custom is a great board. My other choice would be a Ride timeless - i rode one for the first time quite recently and really liked it.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

If you have the cash, I saw a burton that was made out of aluminum and carbon fiber in the magazine "outside". It looks pretty schweet, but it was $900 though.
we're extremely fortunate
not to know precisely
the kind of world we live in.
-W.Szymborska

I've been riding for 18 years now, and switched from Burton to Option last year.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

I've had three different Burtons (Cruise, Kelly and Rippey) and went for Option this time. Big mistake.
I'll stick it out this season but that's it. My next trade will get me back on Burton!

I've been riding for 18 years now, and switched from Burton to Option last year.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

I've had three different Burtons (Cruise, Kelly and Rippey) and went for Option this time. Big mistake.
I'll stick it out this season but that's it. My next trade will get me back on Burton!

18 years! Me too! 1988 - > current... I have stuck with what I know, and that is Burton... I am sure there are other good companies, but...

Actually, I rode my first Burton for 10 years (I rented or borrowed the first two years I rode)! And I rode mine hard for the first 5 years I was boarding...

It's tail was rounded, but clearly not the same as the modern boards today.:$

Back then, I was a flexible high school freshman who spent a lot of time on the moguls with my skiing friends... If the board can last 10 years, with a 200 pound guy, without a single maintenance concern... Well then, it was made well. Who knows if the current models are made that good, but I assume???

Why did I ride my first board for 10 years... Well, the first 5 it was a great board... But soon it became a novelty. I would have people yell up to me on the lift, "Hey that board is so old skool!" My friends and I still sometimes take it out for the fun of it.

But finally I decided to buy a new board. God, my riding ability doubled on the first run with the new board... Things sure have changed!

This is all good input guys, thanks!

DO NOT DO IT!!!

This is very interesting to me, I don't want to buy a crappy board! Is there anything specific that you dislike about your Option? Which model are you riding?

I can't wait. I'm going snowboarding for the first time in about 12 years next month. My moving out of Washington State, taking up skydiving, and subsequent aversion to cold weather has kept me away. I hope I survive. I was just standing outside bitching because it's too chilly for shorts and sandals. :D

Burton, Ride, Salomon, k2, Never Summer are all good boards.
There are alot of small companys out now who's boards are good for a season or two. The pros like them because they get 10 boards a year to use.
But if you are looking for a board that is going to last a long time, burton custom is the one.
Whoever rode their board for 10 years without any maintance, must not ride very much each year. A week total a year is not riding hard.
My boards last about a session or two, with maintance, and thats riding over 80+ days a season.
DQ

Right on, I would be happy if my board lasted a full two seasons if I'm riding hard. I put about 2.5 (I broke it during summer) seasons of about 60-80days/season before I broke it. I don't plan on riding as much this year, now that I have to work every weekend and I have school everyday:S, so it should last awhile.

I agree that there are alot of smaller companies with good product, but I work at REI and I can get good deals on the brands we carry, hence big names only.