Thanatos340

Helping Broken Jumpers..

Maybe they should get another job. One girl I know who works at our DZ has TWO other jobs. If you can't live on your income, find another one to supplement or God forbid replace it.

They skydive full time at busy dropzones (such as Perris or Eloy) and still don't make the money for insurance. They do it because they love the sport. I'm talking about some of the best skydivers today that do what they do because they don't want to work a normal job.

No one is forced to work at a DZ for a living.

There are different paths in life that we have a choice to take. Once starting down the path, we are educated and find out if that is the right path for us. We can always do a U-turn. I think anyone that works at a DZ for a living, knows by now that the money isn't great. It takes a commitment to put yourself on a budget. Accident insurance doesn't cost that much. Maybe not doing a few jumps one day will allow the jumper to make that monthly payment for the insurance.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

They do it because they love the sport. I'm talking about some of the best skydivers today that do what they do because they don't want to work a normal job.

I love the sport too, but I'm a responsible adult. I have a job that pays the bills.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I agree with you Mar but how many people don't jump and save that money for insurance at dropzones. Some probably, but I have not met that many.[:/]

So, that doesn't make it right.

They do it because they love the sport. I'm talking about some of the best skydivers today that do what they do because they don't want to work a normal job.

Hell, I love the sport too and would love to skydive for a living but I had to make a choice about how I wanted to live and my responsibilities. When I first started and needed a rig, I worked 2 jobs, took care of a home, husband and 2 kids, woke up at 6:30 am and didn't get done with all that until 10 pm. Do you think I wanted to do that? Hell no. it was exhausting but it's what I needed to do. Anyone who works at a dz has time in the evenings to pick up another job so they can afford insurance.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

And realistically, they should expect to take care of their own money problems if something like that happens. Many skydivers are scraping by on their incomes and can't afford to support other people who get hurt.

And those who CAN afford it shouldn't feel obligated to. [:/] (Not that I'm one of those people, although I can afford $1 for a jello shot.)

I agree with you Mar but how many people don't jump and save that money for insurance at dropzones. Some probably, but I have not met that many.[:/]

If they make that choice then that is a decision made by them. I have NO sympthy for those who CHOOSE not to insure themselves, then expect other to pay the bills. I know quite a few people who do exactly as you mentioned, work full time at the DZ and have no insurance. They however would NEVER take a dime from anyone if they fucked up...they understand the risk and know they are responsible for themselves...PERIOD. That is the issue I see. IF you choose not to be insured and jump so be it. But DO NOT expect the DZ or anyone else to come to your rescue when something happens.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Concur with eeneR.

I've made the choice to go without cable internet so I can partly pay for health insurance after I get out of the AF. I keep a supply of $ equal to the deductible of the policy.

...And all of this is BEFORE paying for things such as jump tix, repacks, etc.

The dumbass "Hey man, help a brother jumper out" sentiment doesn't apply for huge medical bills. A sammich maybe, (if you caught me on a good day and youre a friend) but not med bills. It's called "responsibility", look into it.

Jump without insurance, you're taking a huge risk. We shouldn't pay for your fuckup.

I know quite a few people who do exactly as you mentioned, work full time at the DZ and have no insurance. They however would NEVER take a dime from anyone if they fucked up...they understand the risk and know they are responsible for themselves..

I know a lot of people who would never ask for a dime either. I know people who have hurt themselves with no insurance and never asked for a dime.

I agree with you all that EVERYONE should have insurance. I have insurance. I was just saying the reality of this sport is that a lot of people don't. I'm not saying they ask for money when they are hurt. They don't. Although I have seen instances where it wasn't expected for people to give money to help someone in need but a lot of people did.

The dumbass "Hey man, help a brother jumper out" sentiment doesn't apply for huge medical bills. A sammich maybe, (if you caught me on a good day and youre a friend) but not med bills.

Exactly the same way I feel.
This started when we realized we may have some money left over from some after hours activities and started trying to figure out what to do with it.
A Jumper at our DZ got Hurt many months ago and has not been able to work and will not be able to work for sometime. They have asked for Nothing. Mark suggested we send it his way as he has NO MONEY at all.
No one said anything about paying medical bills, But there may be enough money left over so that the guy can go buy groceries until he can walk again.

It is not our Responsibility to do this, but it is something that I would like to do as I have Fucked up in the past and know what it means to have a Friend offer a Hand up.

As for JFTC, I raised $450 at the Dublin Boogie and then kicked in an extra $100 out of my pocket for them and I will be doing more for them in the future. This is not about who deserves it more.. It is a About a Friend who could use a Sammich or two until they get back on their feet.

Can he not work any job, or just the job he was doing before? Is he flat on his back or can he stll get around with crutches? I think it would be better to send out feelers in the community to help him earn some money if he can work. I'm still managing my desk job with my 2 broken wrists, I can't do everything yet and I'm a bit slower but I'm still doing most of my job.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I know quite a few people who do exactly as you mentioned, work full time at the DZ and have no insurance. They however would NEVER take a dime from anyone if they fucked up...they understand the risk and know they are responsible for themselves..

I know a lot of people who would never ask for a dime either. I know people who have hurt themselves with no insurance and never asked for a dime.

I agree with you all that EVERYONE should have insurance. I have insurance. I was just saying the reality of this sport is that a lot of people don't. I'm not saying they ask for money when they are hurt. They don't. Although I have seen instances where it wasn't expected for people to give money to help someone in need but a lot of people did.

A DZ is a business that can't exist without employee's. The folks that work at DZ's need to smarten up they are working in a industry where they can get hurt:o. But they are not recieving minimum benifit's other than having a cool job that they love.

If DZ employee's demanded insurance coverage, then what? Check out the help wanted ads on DZ.com the Dz's are hurting for workers.

Health insurance is part of the cost of doing business, some DZ's have now become a lucrative business and I doubt their flying airplanes without insurance why should they be treating their employee's any different?

Because they can:)
Independent contractor:D:D:D

R.I.P.

Independent contractor

That's how they do it.

It's up to the independent contractor to get their own insurance, not the employer.

I admit it. I'm irresponsible. I don't have medical insurance and I skydive anyway. I justify that by flying a conservatively loaded canopy defensively and accept that if I screw up I'll be paying off the bills for the rest of my life.

Insurance isn't a benefit at my job and I refuse to pay $200+ a month for it. I don't spend that much a month on jumps or food. I'm not going to spend that much a month to fund a big insurance company, all on the off chance that I might hurt myself. I get better customer service from my cell phone provider than I ever got from the HMO I used to have.

I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything other than laugh at me if I screw up and hurt myself. Not saying I wouldn't accept help that was offered, though. And I'd do whatever I could to help any friend of mine who found themselves in a similar situation.

I think it's irresponsible for people to skydive without insurance and without savings set aside for a back-up plan. Sorry if I sound harsh.

I feel the same way about single parents skydiving, but I won't let my narrow (perhaps) way of what I feel is responsible/irresponsible keep me from helping those in need.

Jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Lisa, contact Mutal of Omaha and ask about the Accident Insurance. It will only cover you in an accident, but skydiving is included.

I read this thread and it breaks my heart to see the high-horsed, judgmental responses. Skydivers are my family and I will not turn my back on them. I can handle (not like, but accept) the tandem factory, everybody trying to figure out more ways to make money off of skydivers, but this I just don't understand at all. :( :( :(

John

I personally have no insurance, nor will I. And that is by my choice. This is not iresponsible, this is my choice not to make the insurance companies richer. If I get hurt, then I will pay for my own medical bills, and it will still be cheaper than what I would have paid to the insurance company. Curently I am siting with my leg proped up because I have fractured my foot, seperated the heel from my foot, and compressed some vertbre in my back. I don't expect charity from anyone. But I also don't expect to be critisied for paying the bills myself and not paying the insurance company.

just my .02

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget

For most little injuries I agree with you but say something happens like what happened to one of my good friends two years ago. She didn't even do anything wrong. She hit a dust devil on landing and it picked her up and threw her face first into the ground. She broke a LOT of bones in her face. It was awful. Intensive care, surgeries, etc. cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Thank god she had insurance to cover most of it. She still had to dish a lot of money out herself.

If you don't have several hundred thousand sitting in the bank in case of emergencies then I'd say please, please get some kind of insurance. There are plans you can get just for emergencies that cost around $50 a month. It's worth it.

Shit I've already had 2 surgeries and an ER visit that total well over 150K. I couldn't have dished that out myself. Luckily I have insurance.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

You'll pay it yourself? I know someone who has over $680,000 in medical bills that, thankfully, their insurance took care of.

My insurance would, and my premium is only about $95 a month.

By your math, if I pocketed that $95 and put it towards paying off that kind of bill it would only take me, oh, 596 years to make it right.:|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

there is a very large differance in what your bills are between filing insurance, and telling them that you are paying cash. my last surgery was 25% of what it would have been, because I paid cash in advance.

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget