woodpecker

Skydiving/Scuba Diving

Why are these two activities so tied together? Is it the battle of the elements we desire, the thrills of doing something that the majority of the world fears, or simply we love the gear?
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Why are these two activities so tied together?

Because they are very similar sports.

They are both 3-D
They both require much different movements to move within the elelement.
They are both gear-intensive
If you run out of air in either sport, you're screwed.
Communication is difficult beyond body language and hand signals.
They are both time-limited (air supply/altitude)
SCUBA diving is like skydiving slowed down.

Derek

I don't Scuba Dive. I am so scared of drowning. IMO that would be the worse way to go, it seems like such a slow death.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Never thought of these:

Good points. Three points turned for Hook on this thread. :ph34r:
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I don't Scuba Dive. I am so scared of drowning. IMO that would be the worse way to go, it seems like such a slow death.

That's probably the only reason why I haven't done it... I'm a survivor, but if I'm going to get killed, it'll be either in a car wreck or on a skydive, or struck by lightning, or hit by a meteorite...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Although I am not very current with skydiving, (Have to get settled in my new job, and replace my expired cypress) I am a Padi Divemaster.

see I asked myself what are the most two expensive sports I can get into? all the gear, traveling to Jump and dive new places, and training. ah scuba and skydiving, yes I think I'll do that. then after I had what I needed to do both, I said hmm rock climbing gear is expensive, I think I'll do that....:D:D:D

This post in jest... but I do it cause I love it.... Do what you love the money will follow

i'm a Rescue scuba diver with hundreds of dives yet i'm also soooo scared of the ocean. in fact, i hyperventilate just before getting into the water. then i become okay once i'm down there.

but even as a newbie skydiver, i have found out that i have better skydiving skills than scuba skills. or maybe i just feel more comfortable in altitude than in depth.

What about re-breathers? Wish they had that kinda deal for skydiving. Or maybe it can be a wingsuit. Because a re-breather can't last forever but sure does give you tons more time. Same with wing suits.

--------------------------------------------

If you run out of air when Scuba Diving you can borrow some from your buddy (assuming he/she has some). Also, you can attach extra tanks in various places between you and your boat. :)

There is one major big difference. When you run out of altitude, there is not much your co-jumpers can do....your on your own(have seen one instance of a save of a jumper already under canopy). In scuba, a heads up dive buddy can EASILY save a diver, from such cases as out of air, getting nitrogen narcosis, gear failure, or intanglement. I have personally seen a guy run out of air at 40 ft, while diving in Belize. The dive master/his buddy "shared air" and surfaced.

Also, if you are affraid of drowning, you are actually very boyant when scuba diving, that is why you wear weights. If you dump your weights, you actually can not sink, unless diving with no wetsuit. But you still have you boyancey compensator. My dive buddy/wife/life partner cant swim, yet we dive to 100 ft often. She even does shore entries, get slammed by the waves, but all is well because she HAS an air supply. There is nothing to fear to fear itself.

scubadiving is skydivings little brother, I think. I started scubadiving when I was 15, had been dreaming about it for a while. Now I'm a divemaster (anyone who wants to hire a hardworkin norwegian divemaster, anywhere in the world btw? PM :b ) ... Then I moved on to climbing, and then to skydiving, which is where on the ladder I am right now. Skydivings big bro is basejumping I guess. Anyway, I know more climbing skydivers than scubadiving skydivers.

I'm all three, most of my friends in different sports are afraid to try the others.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."