artistcalledian

Static line jumpers, best to ignore them?

Mama, luv ya girl. . .ban artist. . .he is psychotic anyway, and for the others who want to jump on his bandwagon, give them a warning. I, for one, would not want STEVE, or anyone else banned for "listening". . .

No don't ban him he's just the retarted family member who needs a little extra love and affection
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I think the static line program is a very good program, it just focusses more on exit body position and canopy flight..

I agree.

I have absolutely no statistics, reliable information or personal knowledge to back up this claim, but that's why skydivers who learned on the dope rope make better BASE jumpers.

Hooray for Lisa! Thanks girl ;)

You know those poor people who do AFF jumps? is it best to ignore them and pretend they don't exist? i mean come on ! who would do such a thing and show the world you can't leave an aircraft without holding onto 2 people, they make my eyes bleed when i have to look at them, they should be removed from my line of sight when i enter the DZ.

I mean who do they think they are, taking up the resources of instructors all fecking day, then they have to audacity to consume 3 slots (often 4 if the littel prima donnas insist on video as well) on the plane, just so they can flail around the sky and tell their mates that they are skydivers!

I mean look at them, half the so called graduates can't even pack, they become so instructor dependent that long after 'graduating' they pester the life out of AFFIs with inane questions that any S/L student could answer in their sleep.

Who thinks us real skydivers should not associate with such riff raff?, Not me, I reckon they are vital to providing a source of income for real skydivers, as well as an endless source of amusement with their aerial antics.

:P:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

16 jump & 1 year in the sport? you must be a fuckin skygod to be able to do that! Here an idea,before you get to my jump number and my rating do a static line jump without the dope rope and don't even try to pull. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

aw c'mon guys...Ian is just having some fun..and what's wrong with "stirring the pot"? It generates some good discussions..I mean really.

As for static line...HooooBoooy...my first was from 2500 ft and DAMN! the earth sure looked big and hungry from that angle!

A Tom, no thanks...I've already had the piss scared out of me on the rope - twice, thank you.

:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ah, I rememebr the days when I had food for the trolls. But then they just kept coming back time and again until I had nothing left for them. That seemed best for everyone involved.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Ah, I rememebr the days when I had food for the trolls. But then they just kept coming back time and again until I had nothing left for them. That seemed best for everyone involved.

Exactly. I gave up feeding.

Well, I have no choice in this thread. I didn't go S/L or AFF. I was self taught. Where does that put me?
:D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I was never afraid to get out low

Im a AFF baby, and almost have 50 jumps and I still get nervous in the plane till around 3 grand.... I know I could leave in a emergancy .... My hop and pop was torture, stressful, well until I got to the alti, it was the prep work leading that was scarey. Now out of my last 15 jumps only one has been to alti :ph34r: I like getting out lower
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

People's dark side sure comes out when you post, eh?

If a person brings out the worst in everyone else, what does that tell ya?

Actually, the phenomenon is known as "projective identification." It's quite well understood in certain circles, but this isn't one of them, apparently.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

You know, he's right in all of this...

AFF jumpers do think they're better than static line (IAD) students. I've seen it at 2 different drop zones. Its true that AFF is a quick way to a goal that takes 14 or so static progression jumps to attain but I was static line so consider this:

I've never left an aircraft with someone holding my hand [or harness] for me unless I have wanted them to. This Guy needs no in-air coddling!

See picture for what an AFF needs in the air!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

uhm.

Maybe I can help:

Very few americans have a sense of humor compatible with yours, they just sorta dont get it. It was a horrendous shock to me too. Comedy here mostly sucks because of it, with a few major exceptions (who remain mostly quasi celebrities. Bill Hicks)

Americans cannot and do not ever understand dry humor, it's beyond them - with a few exceptions ("I've had British friends before", "I watch PBS", "I'm operating at a level slightly higher than mildly retarded" are comonly cited examples)

They need HUGE signposts like....

"hey, those static line guys huh! crazy! they OFFEND ME (HUR HUR HUR)...ya know? should we just kinda ignore them? (HEE HEE HEE)."

At this point they understand it and everyone gets to laugh (while I go douse myself in gasoline and hunt for a match).

On the flip side you also have the ability to say whatever comes into your head during important meetings: "Yes Sir, you're a drooling spigot of flatulence" and it's always written off as 'that whacky English guy" rather than "He who speaks the truth".

In conclusion, these here americans startle easy. Try to use subtle clues such as

[JOKE][/JOKE] tags.

OR
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've found that most Americans realize what is in close proximity to either of those will pick up on intended humor. I think perhaps the difference in the way their lips move when hitting square brackets and emoticons snaps them out of the 'read/breathe' rhythm they get into. It's actually quite cute, like watching monkeys learning to use tools.

Except for Sudsy, mostly you'll have to send him a private message around the same time and explain the joke to him or he starts flinging poo everywhere.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

I've never left an aircraft with someone holding my hand [or harness] for me unless I have wanted them to. This Guy needs no in-air coddling!

See picture for what an AFF needs in the air!

Sounds like you think that you are better than AFF students. Lets see, how about "at least I didn't need a line to pull my parachute for me, they call it a dope rope for a reason!". Its an argument that could go round and round for ever.

I think AFF is a better system than SL, but I don't think people are better because they did AFF, or because they did SL.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I dont know enough to comment what is better, but the guy on here named Bigun, I like the method they teach there, the students there seem to have a great program, and when they graduate they usually have their A as well
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this