AggieDave

"Ride American"

I don't wave. I give the head nod. Living in southern california, if I waved to every bike I saw, I'd be riding one handed. :S

Kind of like the "two-finger steering wheel wave" between truck drivers in Texas.... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I find it very odd that you guys don't get the waves. I have ridden several different sport bikes through at least 10 states and it is rare that I don't get a wave back. That being said I allmost always have my hand out first when I see another rider. My entire family rides HD's or jap cruisers and I have no problem hopping on one for a ride if my bike happend to not be there at the time. As for the comment earlier about sport bike stunters giving the motorcyclists a bad name I somewhat agree. I was into stunting for about 2 years and saw a lot more friends get hurt than I have in my time skydiving thus far. You can safely stunt on the street you just have to know your limits and only push them when it won't endanger anyone but you. I did go through a phase where I wouldn't wave at anyone who had on no safety gear whatsoever (squid) and most of the time they were on sport bikes.

Greenie in training.

Then again, when you pick one up cheap you're much more apt to break out an angle grinder, cut wheel and your welder to make your bike your own.:)

In 82 I got rid of my 1980 sporty roadster and bought a basket case 72 Norton 750 Interstate for $100.00. I kept the engine and tranny, rear hub and the frontend. Sold the rest. I could not find any shop in Southern Cal that sold or even built rigid Norton frames. I got laughed at quite a bit at the mention of a low slung chopped Norton. Being a welder in the Navy at the time, I built it myself on board ship. I built a real head turner for under $1000.00. I still have this bike. Even though I have gone through a number of Harley's over the years I seemed to always go back to my baby. This bike has gone through a number of changes over time. A few years back she got new life back into the engine with a 1000cc stroker kit milled by Jim Bradey of World Cycle. He also custom grinded a thumping cam that creates an amazing amount of torque not to mention hp. All power goes through a 3" belt primary before meshing the shaved Andrew gearing. Engine and tranny work came out to over $5000.00. At present time she is down for new paint. I did sell this bike twice but always got it back. My Norton is a one of a kind and there is no other like her. PLUS I built it myself minus the major machining to the engine and tranny. PLUS I can honestly say that more than 90% of the parts on her are USA made. Need I also mention that she is freaking fast. It blew my last harley, a built fatboy, off the road at more than 150mph. Hey, my Snortin' Norton fears nuthin'.
Go for a basket case and get your vision rolling down the road. No matter what ya ride, it is all good.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Luv those Z bars Dave. Check out the ones on the Norton. Z's are classic. Running dragbars on 6" bones now. Thinking of putting the apes on as it looks pretty mean along with the suicide shift.
Neil Young

I've got an 850 CC offroad motocross, does that count? J/K! Balance/Balance - Ying\Yang, it all balances out! Besides i've seen Todd's ride and yours as well, the're both bitchin! I asked Todd if i could ride his and he promptly dispatched me with a resounding NO. That's cool, i was going to let him take one of my vettes for a spin, but now....HMPH! J/K, it's all good! B|
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Guess it can't be explained, you either get it or don't. Kind of like the Grateful Dead.

I rented one out in Vegas last week. Ran into a German tourist out in the middle of the desert. He has a BMW at home but said he was amazed at how easy the Dyna Lowrider he had was to ride, loves it, and wants to get one when he gets home. We then rode together from the Valley of Fire down to the Hoover Dam.

Funny thing,I have a roadking classic but think about BMW's.:)
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Why would you care if somebody who hasn't ridden all his life chooses a Harley. Is that a reason for you to run him down? What if he chooses a Kawasaki for his first bike....is that more honorable somehow? I just think it's an issue worth getting over....

The point just whooshed over you here. The point isn't what kind of bike you ride, its that you do ride, end of story. That and the typical asshole snob that I've run into in my life rides a certain brand of bike that they bought into due to a percieved image they're trying to buy into.

You think my little rant is bad, you should hear what a true patch-wearer says about the wanna-be riders!:o
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, it looks like I'm definately not in the minority here! I'm very happy to see so many riders who really care about riding and other riders. You know, there are only certain kinds of people who argue against me on these points, its always the people who are blinded by their version of reality and have it reinforced by their riding buddies. That's sad. That's sort of like a rich person saying there's not a problem with poverty in this world.

Oh well, atleast we get to ride and smile and ride some more.

Oh, Twardo...kickass BSA man, that's very very cool...and its too bad that it looks so clean and perfect, it would be a perfect frame/engine/tranny to build a really kickass chopped ride from. ;)

You know, the entire "ride American" thing is starting to get under my skin. The typical person who has said it to me was a HD yuppie that knows nothing about motorcycles. Worst yet are the flat out wanna-be's riding around on their Electra Glides with a cup holder. Ride American. A large majority of HD's parts are made over seas, but my Kawasaki was manufactured in Lincoln, Nebraska. Odd huh? Sort of like my Chevy truck, sure the company is "American" but 95% of it was built in Mexico.

If you're on two wheels, you get a wave. I don't care what brand, hell, I don't even care if you're on a moped. You're on two wheels. I don't care that you paid $30K for your bike or paid $500, I don't care if it has 200cc or 145 cu in. Infact I don't care if you're riding a cruiser or a rice rocket, you're getting a wave. Some people's attitudes bother me to no end and the "Discovery channel watching wishers" seem to be the worst. OCC shirt, HD hat/do-rag, HD jeans, HD boots, HD underwear (probably) and a wallet with a chain doesn't make you a biker. It makes you look like a damned idiot. Shut your damned mouth and actually buy a bike and actually ride it more then 100mi a year. Hell, ride it more then 100mi at a time. Your butt hurts? TOUGH! After about 400mi you don't notice and you find a zen in riding, hell it takes atleast 200mi to get good and comfy in your riding position for a long haul.

If you're head is planted too far up your butt and you can't understand that riding is what its all about and you don't appreciate that, then maybe its time you sell your bike. Hell, if you don't have the education to know where your bike was manufactured and don't understand that, then my point is proven. That especially goes to those of you riding a HD V-rod and still have that attitude.

For everyone else that understands what riding is all about, here's my wave...keep the rubber-side down and hopefully we'll get a chance to ride together someday.

p.s.
If you're riding in a steel cage and don't see me, you get a "wave" as well.

good rant dave ;) im sure ill make it south once or twice and we can make a ride or 2. dont worry i put approx. 8K per year on my lil pocket rocket. I ride with anyone and wave to everyone. Even to those HD guys that sometimes dont wave back :D

for the cagers, i like to scare them as they come over. once they finally seem me the look on thier face is priceless and they go right back were they started from. :D:ph34r:

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

You think my little rant is bad, you should hear what a true patch-wearer says about the wanna-be riders!

That's the point....why is a "true patch-wearer" any more of a rider than "wanna-be" (whatever that is) riders? I'm saying that if you ride, then have fun....that's great. Why does it matter why a person buys any bike he buys. Usually there is some "image" factor involved, imho. You buy what you like, for whatever reason. What I've seen of this thread is that the snobbiest riders are not in the group that you're targeting....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

That's the point....why is a "true patch-wearer" any more of a rider than "wanna-be" (whatever that is) riders? I'm saying that if you ride, then have fun....that's great. Why does it matter why a person buys any bike he buys. Usually there is some "image" factor involved, imho. You buy what you like, for whatever reason. What I've seen of this thread is that the snobbiest riders are not in the group that you're targeting....

Man, there really should be an "obvious" tag on DZ.com. Sarcasm, sarcasm sarcasm...I was using sarcasm when referencing motorcycle gangs.

Do you honestly believe that there aren't some serious attitude problems in a fairly large majority of wanna-be riders? Once again I'll reiterate my previous points. There are riders and there are people with motorcycles. The people with motorcycles who aren't riders, no matter what they ride, tend to have serious attitude problems, don't wave and try much too hard to look like a "rider." In my experience its been people who trump the "ride American" BS when they don't even know enough about their bike to know that the only thing made in America on their bike is them, the was only assembled in America. A large majority of the parts were manufactured elsewhere. It was proving a point in attitudes of wanna-be "riders."

If you can't understand that, then I guess my point really is proven.

I understand your point, but I guess the only attitude problems I see on a regular basis don't come from people who are new riders, whatever they're trying to look like. I think that everybody has to start riding sometime, and if they're trying to look like a rider, how is that different from somebody who starts skydiving and tries too hard to look like a skydiver? So what if somebody wants to drop some cash on a bike and he doesn't know the ins and outs of the bike. He wants to ride! I don't see a problem with that.

In my experience, these people's attitudes are simply based in their newness to the experience. What's much more bothersome is people who think they are REAL riders--whether they wear the patches or not-- who can't get over what the next guy is riding and wearing.

But maybe that you don't get it demonstrates MY point....

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

When did I say that "wanna-be riders" were new riders, that's not the point.

How many "skygods" do you know with 5 jumps? How about 100 jumps? How bout 1000 jumps? How about 2000 jumps? Can you see what I'm saying?

I guess I'm just annoyed by different things than you are. We rode to Jefferson, TX a month or so ago for the Boo Benefit. It was pretty fun, but there were a LOT of people there all decked out in some pretty pricey get-ups fitting into a particular mold that I thought was funny. There were some chicks in particular on some NICE bikes who obviously weren't very experienced riders...or maybe I just noticed them more because of the catty nature of women . I find that particular crowd amusing, but not annoying.

Maybe they do have an attitude that I don't recognize since I tend to be oblivious to such things. I suppose from the perspective of someone who pretty much doesn't do the cliques, who certainly doesn't look like a biker of any sort but enjoys riding, I DO get bothered by all the people who have an attitude toward me because I bought a Harley. I don't get why anyone cares! Having ridden my first bike, a Yamaha, for a good decade and my second, a Suzuki, for a good many more years, it baffles me when someone wants to try to tell me how much better performance they get out of this bike, or how much more power they get out of that.... I have no need to put anyone down to build myself up. But that's what I get from a lot of other people. I never got that attitude when I rode a Suzuki.

In my mind, the "pretty" people out on their bikes may put off a certain arrogant vibe....but it's that outright obnoxious attitude that I'm talking about that really, really, really gets under my skin.

I am with you on this....if you're out riding and having fun, then get on with it!!! Have a great day. Hell, I'll wave at you any day, aggie Dave....

linz
--

You think my little rant is bad, you should hear what a true patch-wearer says about the wanna-be riders!

That's the point....why is a "true patch-wearer" any more of a rider than "wanna-be" (whatever that is) riders?

I'll answer this as I wore a patch in Texas as well as Missouri and have been an affiliated to a number of other organizations. There is a world of difference between a BIKER and someone who rides on weekend or only when the sunshines. A biker is a someone who rides regardless of anything. I went for nearly 10 years on nothing but my bike. I rode in rain, snow, sleet, and freaking hail. When I was incarcerated at Descanso prison, I arrived on my bike after riding through a snowstorm going through Alpine, Ca.. A BIKER dedicates everything to the Brotherhood. No if ands or buts about it. When it is time to ride and it is always time to ride, your ass better be on the bike and in the formation. Screw your job, the brotherhood comes first, to hell with your personal problems, the brotherhood comes first. Above everything in your life the brotherhood comes first. It is your family. Period. If you cannot hang with that, you best go else where.
The term 1%er comes from a statement made by the American Motorcycle Association back in the 50's when it was said that most motorcycle enthusiest are law abiding courteous riders and only 1% operate outside the rules. Those in the 1% group took it as a badge of honor. I wore it as a badge of honor and even though I left the inner world of the lifestyle I am still welcomed as if I have never left when I go back to St. Louis. I was building my chopped Norton when I first became involved in the "outlaw" biker life in San Diego. I met brothers from as far as the Oakland Chapter of the Hells Angels as well as Satans Slaves, Gypsy Jokers to name a few. All great people and as friendly as can be. In Mo. I came to be involved with the Road Saints, El Forresteros, Saddle Tramps as well as two Chicago based clubs, the Outlaws and DC Eagles. In Texas I rode with the Brotherhood of Bikers, more commonly know as the Texas Brotherhood which welcomed all bikers regardless of their sled or affiliations. The B.O.B. formed around 1985 near Mexia, Texas after a well known biker was killed. One of the most memorable rides with them was in 1993, the Funural of Pops, the man who formed B.O.B. It was probally the biggest biker funeral Texas has ever seen. If you ride and live in Texas you should attend one of their runs and get to know more about them. I have known Bandito's who rode jap bikes as well as other clubbers who rode other than American. For the majority of patch holders it is not the bike you ride but your integrity, desire and dedication to the brotherhood. If you only ride on weekends or your job means more than the club, you are not club material and will never be a 1%er. If you are of lonewolf 1%er status, one who does not hold a patch or claim affiliation to one organization, you must be willing to drop everything in order to ride with any given chapter. Being a biker means true dedication through and through. You would never ever turn on them. Never, if are a true biker.
No where with the average rider who rides on weekends with a few friends do you find what you find with the 1% that operates outside the law. I stopped going to Sturgis and stopped buying Easyrider when it became the richman biker fantasy camp. I honestly fucking dispise the wannabe's. My Norton has seen well over 300,000 miles. My last Harley, the fatboy built the right way (fuck Harleys way) had over 100,000 miles on her and I went 2 years without a speedo cable. Those are only two bikes the others had not as many miles on them when sold. Your regular rider will never amass the miles under their ass the way a REAL BIKER will. But it is all good and anyone who rides should be appluaded for doing so. Much like someone who does a jump or two and not much else. I'll ride with anyone no matter what you are on, unless of course your on an errrr...sooo harrrrd to tyyyyype this wooorrd...... VESPA!

Neil Young

well im not a 1%er thats for sure. I love to ride and weather has never bothered me. just go in layers. I wouldnt be qualified to being the "Biker" material as u described it. but dont worry i wouldnt be caught dead on a V.... VV..... Vveeesspa. :D;)

Hell, ive probably only riden in group riding about 500 miles out of the 22,000 miles i have put on my bike.
I have been known to throw it in the bed of the truck and take it with me on trips to galveston or Arkansas, but only when its going to be nice. I do this cause i have to much to take with me and the bike is secondary to the trip. its an added bonus. that and i dont have a back brace to make the trip easier. Leaning over a tank for 4 hours will make u walk funny ;)

I dont just ride on weekends eithier. i rode for 225 miles on Thanksgiving and rode to work last night and froze my ass off on the way home this morning. At least i do my own maintence. <--- for the most part...:) dont have a tire changer in my garage...:S

were was i going with this....... :|

i know, were does that place me? probably were i am at everything. in the middle.B|:D:D

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

1. There's just as many idiots on litre plus superbikes as there are on freshly minted HD's.

2. The latter tend to fall over in parking lots, the former tend to convert themselves to stains on the side of buses.

3. It's not what you ride, it's that you ride.

4. If you get into the habit of giving the finger to large groups of HD's, one day you'll mistake the red and white on a club run for a HOG group. Don't worry though, they will be kind enough to instruct you on the fundamental difference between the two groups.

5. My daily ride to work bike is a foot clutch, hand shift 1945 Harley. You get the right to bitch about HD reliablity in 2060, when your bike hits the same birthday.

6. Any fool can pull a wheelie. Ride suicide shift in San Francisco for real thrills.

7. What was I talking about again ?

The latter tend to fall over in parking lots,
--------
The ol' fatboy fell over at Steak n Shake about two hrs after leaving Docs HD in St.Louis. Looked out the window just as she fell...ouch.

Any fool can pull a wheelie. Ride suicide shift in San Francisco for real thrills.
-------
All my bikes eventually ended up with jocky shifts. Man, I appluade you for riding one on those hills in SF. Do ya wanna freak folks out? Lift the front while slapping through gears and smokin' the ass all way through>
Your '45, is it a Knuck or Flattie? Chopped in any way or pure stock? Post a pic
Neil Young

Well said, Dave.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone on 2 wheels who won't return the wave because I don't ride a Harley. You're also right about most of them being yuppies.

There's a reason why HD dealerships have more clothes than motorcycles...

Another group guilty of not returning the wave is the "My daddy bought me a Hayabusa for my first motorcycle, and I ride it wearing a t-shirt and shorts" gang. :S

For a non-biker that's never been in SF, what's that?

Suicide shift is a short handle on the side of the bike - you have to take your hand of the handlebar to shift. San Fransisco is, well, just hellacious hilly and it sucks to drive any standard transmission when you're on hills that point you straight up at the sky.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD