shropshire

Wow..priveledged to have vistor to our house

Whilst getting ready for work this morning (and really not looking forward to jumping on the Sporty in the fog!).... I saw this beauty on our extension roof....

I think it's a Peregrine Falcon... The day looked so much brighter after this.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

if it is a Peregrine Falcon, that IS very cool. they mate for life, and are the fastest flying birds. i have seen a documentary of a skydiver training a peregrine to fallow him in freefall, and, it even pased him. they were trying to figure out the birds top speed, which they think is around 200 mph in dive.

Hi,

Cambridgeshire (UK), Flat countryside. We have a field at the bottom of the garden and then a small wood beyond. I dont know what habitat they like... I haven't seen/noticed it around here before....

(.)Y(.)

That's a beautiful Peregrine. I spent a significant amount of time with a Master Falconer, and he had many birds that I was privileged enough to be allowed to interact with, but my all-time favorite (next to the Gyr Falcon) was the Peregrine. Gorgeous bird.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Hi,

Cambridgeshire (UK), Flat countryside. We have a field at the bottom of the garden and then a small wood beyond. I dont know what habitat they like... I haven't seen/noticed it around here before....

Wherabouts in Cambs.? I used to live in Cambridge, and also in Sawston.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

St Ives (just to the west of Cambridge).

Were you at the university?

I was indeed, for 3 degrees + post-doc, 1964 - 1977.

I know St. Ives, there used to be an MG dealer there called Syd Beer, who raced antique MGs. I also rowed in the St. Ives regatta in 1972 or 73.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Have you ever been back?
We like it here .... bit flat for us tho' (My wife and I come from the other side of the country - not all that far away in the UK:P as it happens - but there be hills). Cambridge is a loverly City, even at this time of year. Well be there tomorrow, so will say hello for you, in the time honoured fashion :D
Regards,

(.)Y(.)

What can I put out to entice it back into the garden?

Mice, rats and Bunny Rabbits... white if possible to get the attention of the birds esier.

And in the interest of intentionally pissing off PETA members, I fully encourage this practice.

viva la food chain!
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Looks like we posted at the same time. We had some type of large hawk in our neighbrohood for a while. We never got close enough for a picture. One day we watched him swoop down on a smaller bird, then take him up in a tree and chow down leaving all sorts of feathers, etc. on the ground below. And one day we did see some furry remains in our backyard and the rabbit who had been a frequent visitor hasn't been seen since. :o

We have big ole' birds o' prey everywhere around here.

Oh, and just so I don't have ta start a new thread about it...

HEY EVERYBODY!!! MY EAGLE IS BACK!!!! :)

Woo-hoo! I was starting to get worried for the big guy, being gone so long...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

if it is a Peregrine Falcon, that IS very cool. they mate for life, and are the fastest flying birds. i have seen a documentary of a skydiver training a peregrine to fallow him in freefall, and, it even pased him. they were trying to figure out the birds top speed, which they think is around 200 mph in dive.

One day walking across the company grounds where I used to work, I saw something out of the corner of my eye drop down very fast and disappear behind a line of bushes. Curious, I carefully walked over to the bushes and looked for a gap to see through, and what I saw was amazing... a Peregrine Falcon had pounced on a pigeon twice its size and was already ripping it to pieces with feathers everywhere... it sensed me looking at it and stopped for a few seconds to peer at me, head cocked. I was only 5 feet away with the bushes between us. I slowly backed away and the falcon went right back to its mauling... B|B|B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What can I put out to entice it back into the garden?

You can also use a teensy bit of fishing twine to keep a pigeon from spreading it's wings and toss it out in the yard. They'll go for that too, and you'll be eliminating one more flying rat. If you happen to be able to get your hands on any live pigeons. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.