Kid_Icarus

My Local news had a piece on 1 800-SKYRIDE!!!!

Here is a partial list of DZ's that I know take them. Thats the results from States A-O. Surprizingly 47 DZ's never responded to my email asking from those same states... :S

Air Adventures of Clewiston
Alabama Skydiving Center
Alaska Skydiving Center
Arizona Skydiving Coolidge
Atlanta Skydiving Center
Bay Area Skydiving
Boston/Hartford Skydiving Center at Danielson CT
Canton Air Sports
Carolina Sky Sports
Central Arkansas Para Center
Cleveland Parachute Center, Inc.
Colorado Skysports
Desert Skydiving Center
Eugene Skydivers
Florida Skydiving Center
Freefall Express Skydiving
Greene County Sport Parachute Center - KY
Missouri River Valley Skydivers
Pacific Coast Skydiving
Pacific Skydiving Center
Parachute Center at Lodi
Paradise Skydives
Skydive California City
Skydive Greensburg
Skydive Hawaii
Skydive Idaho
Skydive Mesquite
Skydive N'Awlins!
Skydive San Francisco
Skydive Skyranch
Wright Brothers Skydiving

I have to add Missouri River Valley Skydivers to that list. If it weren't for them, no DZ in the KC area would take their certificates.

At no defense to 1-800-sky-ride, the people who buy these certificates are to blame as well. They should do some research before the spend their $, its just common sense. In no way am I defending skyride but I need to state the obvious. Getting online and buying a certificate that could send you anywhere in that state with out doing a little bit of research on the company that its going to be throwing you out of a plane isn't a very good idea. The businesses that except them are still doing their part to throw you out of a plane because lets face it thats what you paid for, but they can't buy the certificate for you. Yes the certificates are excepted in Lodi and I'll tell you what, when they find out that its only $100 dollars to do the tandem they feel pretty stupid but they can't get mad that the Parachure Center for their stupidity.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

At no defense to 1-800-sky-ride, the people who buy these certificates are to blame as well. They should do some research before the spend their $, its just common sense.

I have purchased many many items on line, both as certificates and actual products. I have never bot a gift certificate that did not state where I can use that certificate. ( Even those that sell gift cards for mulitple different stores will give you a list of the stores they are offered to. Skyride does no such thing. They take your money before they tell you more lies.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

The problem here is the deception.

You goto a site like Skydive"Whatever City".com
They look just like a Dropzone in your city. They have pictures of the Dropzone, The Plane, The Staff. You call to make a reservation. They take your credit card and then after they have your money, They tell you that you have to drive many hours away to actually use your certificate. Or even like in this particular case, Start lying to you about "rescheduling" your jump untill they can find someone who will actually accept the certificate they just sold you.

The cost is not the big issues here (Other than the Hidden Fees).

Most of the time these people have no idea they are dealing with Skyride until after they have the "Non-Refundable" Deposit. Skyride masquerades as legitimate Dropzones. That is the biggest problem.

I agree but as you said you didn't do it because you have more sense that that and I would do the same thing. Why would you give up your $ with out knowing whats going to happen and especially where? What I do know is that when your putting your life into someone elses hands wouldn't it be smart to research it a little. I mean just enough to know where tht dz's are. Because if you just get online and buy the first thing that pops up on the screen doesn't sound like the smatrest thing to do... am I right?
-Bill Dause

What happened to a phone book? What happened to actually calling the place your going to? I don't agree with skyrides tacticts but people that do it arn't looking into it enough is all I'm saying. When I did my first tandem I called every place I could find in Ca. a few times and researched what I was doing. And I bet a lot of you guys did to.
-Bill Dause

Why would you give up your $ with out knowing whats going to happen and especially where?

Well, If I call a fictional dz, which I wouldn't know was fictional, I would assume it really exists. These scum bags, lead you to believe you are going to jump at Skydive Utah because that's the website they found and that Skydive Utah really doesn't exist.

I mean just enough to know where tht dz's are

I do now since Skyride came along and ripped so many people off and gave the sport I love a black-eye with so many people. I met one last weekend. You obviously don't get to see the disappointment on these peoples faces when the show up with a skyride certificate and we have to say not us. Then we have to explain to them the type of organization they are dealing with and wish them the best of luck getting their money back.

I researched every dz in my area before I started jumping. but back then we only had phone books to find them.
:S

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

When I did my first tandem I called every place I could find in CA

Good on you. And yes , as a customer, you should investigate where you are about to spend your money.

This, however, does not diminish the deceptive practices Skyride utilises.
Remster

Well, never minding the fact Bill Dause would never take any crap from a tandem student ;) most students would probably think the DZ is Skyride.

Some DZOs have reported getting flack from students who do realize they were overcharged. And while doing research is always the right thing to do, I'm not sure perspective students could make sense of it all. This is what Skyride counts on.

There is another Skyride type scam in the flower industry. Call a florist in your hometown yellow pages, and even while the ad says [Your Town] Flowers, it's really a boiler-room operation in some other city. See below . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Avoiding Floral Scams and Flowery Disappointments

By Amy C. Fleitas

What's worse than forgetting to buy flowers for your love on Valentine's Day? How about ordering long-stem red roses and yellow carnations arrive? Or, getting charged more than the agreed cost? Or, worse yet, paying for flowers that never arrive.

Unfortunately, these things can happen -- especially if you order your bouquet of love from a florist you've never worked with before. Even if you find the florist listed in your neighborhood phone directory, you could be in for a nasty surprise. Sometimes a company will advertise themselves as a local florist when in reality they're simply a telemarketing firm hawking flowers. The Federal Trade Commission has a name for these unscrupulous florists -- petal pushers.

According to the FTC, these " petal pushers" place bogus listings in local phone directories. When you call the local number listed or given to you by the operator, you're unknowingly forwarded to an out-of-town telemarketing operation.

The telemarketer takes your order and credit card information, and then forwards your order to an area florist. The telemarketer pockets a processing fee and usually a percentage of the total order. You don't know you've been scammed until you learn you've been charged more than you planned, the flowers aren't delivered as ordered or worse -- not delivered at all.

"They're not florists, they're a bank of phones," says Jennifer Sparks, director of marketing for the Society of American Florists. "The best way to avoid them is to know where (the florist) is specifically located," she suggests.

So on my local ABC news last night they had a piece on skydiving, specifically 1 800-SKYRIDE. http://kutv.com/consumer (VIDEO ON UPPER FAR RIGHT OF SCREEN)

A girl got a skyride gift certificate for her birthday, bla bla bla.. and she got hosed. Well the gril called one of the news guys, who did a piece on it. Now the Utah attorney general is on it. So just letting you all know that Utah is doing their part in fight against evil!!!

I saw that on our news here. Looks like another shot fired at 1-800-SKYRIDE! First, Skydive Arizona now the Utah A.G.! The Utah A.G. needs to get in touch with all the other state A.G.'s and really whack Skyride's weiner!:D

Chuck

What happened to a phone book?

The internet killed it!!

Seriously, Very few people use the phone book anymore. Google whatever you want, goto the webpage and get the phone number. Much quicker and easier and they way people do reasearch in this day and age.

What happened to actually calling the place your going to?

These people are deceived into thinking that they are doing exactly that. They have no idea they are not talking directly to the Dropzone.

When I did my first tandem I called every place I could find in Ca. a few times and researched what I was doing.

Yep and if you did that now, you would get Skyride operators at atleast half the numbers you called. Only they will not admit to being Skyride and will pretend to be a Local DZ until they get your credit Card info.

These guys are excellent Scam artists in my opinion and do everything they can to appear to be a Local Legitimate Dropzone.

What happened to a phone book?

The internet killed it!!

Seriously, Very few people use the phone book anymore. Google whatever you want, goto the webpage and get the phone number. Much quicker and easier and they way people do reasearch in this day and age.

What happened to actually calling the place your going to?

These people are deceived into thinking that they are doing exactly that. They have no idea they are not talking directly to the Dropzone.

When I did my first tandem I called every place I could find in Ca. a few times and researched what I was doing.

Yep and if you did that now, you would get Skyride operators at atleast half the numbers you called. Only they will not admit to being Skyride and will pretend to be a Local DZ until they get your credit Card info.

These guys are excellent Scam artists in my opinion and do everything they can to appear to be a Local Legitimate Dropzone.

Well put Jay, alot of people just don't know any better.
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

I work in Lodi as a camera person and I do see the dissapointment on their face and I have delt with it a lot beacuse they like to send the tandems here because thats where thay make the most $, just so you know. But one thing I can tell you is they won't do it again. I agree with everything that has been said that sucks about skyride! But I think that boycotting a dz just because you don't like the fact that they accept a skyride certifiacte isn't fair. Especially if thier competitors except them as well. I love Lodi because Bill believes in making skydiving a sport for everybody no matter how much $ you have thats why its so cheap. So you can try to hold the fact that he accepts them aginst the parachute center but its also good to know that he is doing a bigger part in making the sport more accessible to everyone in the long run. You can't beat $100 tandem, $15 dollar jump tickets everyday, $500 static line student course, and $1000 dollar AFF course.
-Bill Dause

But I think that boycotting a dz just because you don't like the fact that they accept a skyride certificate isn't fair. Especially if their competitors except them as well.

That's the thing speaking with our money is the only power we have. As for the competitors that accept the certificates, well if they aren't on the list Phree sent out then add them, because Lodi isn't being singled out for allowing skyride to continue this behavior.
Fly it like you stole it!

Have you gone to any of the websites? Hell...I have a hard time telling it's not a legit dropzone.

Here's one...

http://www.skydivephiladelphia.com

They even have info for experienced jumpers about repacks, etc. But it's all bogus.

And, I believe they DO advertise in some yellow pages as well.

sorry dude, but you are mistaken.

Skydive Philadelphia is a real DZ. Even the USPA has it listed.

This http://www.skydiveorange.com/caution.htm tells you how to tell the difference.

Hmmm, my bad. I live near there and never heard of it. They list themselves as being part of the "skyride network" on the website. And the phone number on the website is different than the one on the USPA site. Plus, there's not a single person's name listed on the site anywhere.

There may well be a dropzone called Skydive Philadelphia, but is this web page really theirs?

Hmmm, my bad. I live near there and never heard of it. They list themselves as being part of the "skyride network" on the website. And the phone number on the website is different than the one on the USPA site. Plus, there's not a single person's name listed on the site anywhere.

There may well be a dropzone called Skydive Philadelphia, but is this web page really theirs?

Why does the USPA listing show a ASC logo next to Skydive Philadelphia? http://www.uspa.org/dz/states/PA.htm
Remster

Are you sure that Blue Sky doesn't take certificates? If so, then Clemson is the only DZ in South Carolina that does. From the Skydive South Carolina website
"First Skydive
Skydiving in South Carolina offers you the opportunity to live life to it's fullest......Your jump will include approximately 60 seconds of freefall"
"Why Choose Skydive SC
Your skydive can be made from 14,000 feet!"

Well, Clemson is a C 182 DZ-it's my home DZ and I love it and the guys there but 14K and 60 seconds freefall ain't gonna happen. And it does say "in South Carolina"
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Would it be better if you bought the skyride certificate and showed up only to hear that the DZ wont accept the certificate and you get NOTHING for your money? At least if they take the certificate you get to make your skydive. Skyride ripped you off on the price, they are the bad guys here, not the dz's taking the certificates.