VanillaSkyGirl

Under Armour Fit

I keep hearing about how great Under Armour is for warmth, and I am soooo tempted to buy from the website that AggieDave posted in THIS thread. I am forcing myself to STOP RIGHT NOW from "proceeding to checkout" with the XS Frosty tights and XS Sub-Zero Mock because I have never even tried them on. I haven't even been skydiving in forever either :(, but I am trying to get prepared for when I will be flying again in the cold. (I will hopefully be flying by the last weekend in January.) Also, I may be playing in snow soon, so I need warm undergarments for that.

Can any ladies tell me how Under Amour really fit? Do they run small or something? Evelyn felt uncomfortable in the Under Amour and disliked the fit, according to her thread. Does anyone else feel the same way and why?

Currently, I wear a winter rash guard from Roxy (surfwear/wetsuit manufacturer) because the fit is made for my curves, and it keeps me sooo warm. I wear Carushkka capri leggings for the same main reason (fit), but I could use a little more for leg warmth. Both my warmth and comfort are very important to me, so let me know what you all think, please. Thank you in advance! :)

Under Armour is made to fit tight and touch your skin eveywhere. You should be able to wear the normal size you take in other clothes, but it can't hurt to go one smaller as well because it will stretch to your body, much like your surf shirt.

As far as comfort- If you are comfortable in your surf gear, you will be comfortable in Under Armour. Same type of fit. Some people don't like the fit of compression performance wear, others love it. I love the feel. Under Armour gear is awesome underneath a light layer and well keep you warm and dry without having to wear something too bulky as an outter layer.

They make 3 different types of gear. Something to keep in mind when purchasing.

Cold Gear- Quite a bit thicker and well insulated. Very warm.

Heat Gear- Thin and light to wick sweat away and keep you cool.

Turf Gear- Rugged and somwhere in between. More towards Heat Gear, but designed to take a little more abuse.

All of them do the same with moisture and wick it away from your skin. If you want really warm stuff, go with Cold Gear. If you are looking for a decently warm layer underneath but also want to be able to wear it when it isn't so cold, go with Turf Gear. The Heat Gear is really designed for working out and in heat, so probably not the right choice for skydiving. If you want a shirt to wear as your actual skydiving top, like a surf shirt, I would recommend the Turf Gear.

I'm lost with why all these people love the Armour wear for warmth. For me it doesn't do a darn thing.

Rose, I live where it's cold, and just enjoyed a day on the slopes yesterday. Check out Title 9. I think you will like what you find there. I am lucky enough to have a store nearby, not really nearby, but it's worth the drive, to try on the clothes. I have order on the phone with them and they are great to work with. They also have a great exchange refund policy. I think one of the reasons I love Title 9 is because it's clothes made by women for women. You can't go wrong with them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Really?? The Cold Gear?? I don't disagree that there are other choices and may be other stuff that someone might like better, but I live in upstate NY and the Under Armour Cold Gear is awesome for warmth. And I love the feel of it underneath my normal everyday work attire.

Under Armour is made to fit tight and touch your skin eveywhere.

That is EXACTLY why I love my Roxy rash guard. My boyfriend is a surfer, and he bought me mine for cold weather jumping per my request after trying many of them on last winter. I have to admit that not all of the rash guards fit the same way. From the ones that I tried on, the Roxy style and size that I have was the one that really felt like it fit the best on my particular body type.

I love the extra layer of protection/warmth that this type of undergarment offers because I am a person who can NEVER keep warm. Imo, it's truly liberating to be able to wear less layers when active, as long as there is warm, all-over coverage as close as possible to the skin.

Well, I think that I will have to go and try on all these styles and get back to you all. I was hoping to hear opinions from more people (esp. women) regarding the fit issues. Also, I already read all about the flattering fit of Under Armour in the Naughty Boogie thread, so I know that it should receive many gold stars in the looks dept. :$ That is not my primary concern, though.

Flyangel ~ Mary, thank you so much for the link! I will definitely check it out! :)

I looked into it when I lived in Canada, why consider it in CA?

I travel, my friend. Also, I'm a small girl with little body fat. I am always "cold". Nevertheless, it can get cold at altitude, anywhere. Besides, my gut feeling is that you must not have been in the tunnel in the wintertime or at night. (I have.) It can get REALLY cold in there. B|

Rosa, I love under armor. . .great stuff. I like the fit because it holds its shape well and doesn't ever feel "tight". . .more like a second skin. REI carries both the cold gear and the heat gear. Go there to try it on for yourself. You really need to feel the fit before purchasing. I believe that is very important for you because you are a petite person and will want to make sure it works for you before you buy.
FGF #6
Darcy

REI carries both the cold gear and the heat gear. Go there to try it on for yourself.

I will have to go back to REI and do that. Sadly, I think that I've tried on all their tights/leggings, (must have tried on the Under Armour) and all of them are too baggy and loose on me! I hope that this isn't truly the case, and that I have overlooked their smallest sizes. :(

Btw, Darcy, I've missed you!

Rosa, the problem with REI is that if you are not trying on clothes made just for women, you are not going to find a good fit.

I wish you were closer to a Title 9 store. I know you would find something there.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If money isn't an issue then stop by a scuba dealer that stocks DUI drysuits and more specifically the one piece DUI long underwear, which are available in various weights with their heavier ones having an outer shell that is low-porosity so high speed air flow will not cut through. These work nicely and will keep you comfortable during extended flights in the wind tunnel during cooler moist evenings.

This is what I use to jump and ski in:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=25234&nv=2|21472|680|834&lview=&cm_cg=C834&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=w1i004

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=25235&nv=2|21472|680|834&lview=&cm_cg=C834&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=w1i005

Very comfortable, very warm, very thin.

UA is good stuff and it's sold just about everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at Wal Mart at all. A sporting goods store will have it for sure. My only issue with it is the sleeves can be a bit of a chore to untwist so it lays comfortably on your arm but thats no big deal really.

What I do HIGHLY recommend is MYSTERIOSO cold weather gear. It's made for the water so it has the same feel as a rashguard shirt but it's a blend of nylon and fleece type stuff. Whatever the blend, it is very warm, doesn't hold odor, stays warm even while wet and still breaths Ok when your doing physical activities. I have the long sleeve shit, pants and socks and it's held up pretty damn good considering the abuse I put it through at work and while playing. It is also slightly thicker than a rashguard shirt but not so much that it feels like a heavy weight layer.

Another good cold weather choice is Bomber gear I have a couple of their tops and they are the BOMB;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Totally loving the Under Armour this year! I've been wearing the Loose Gear t-shirts this past summer (which seriously helps with the heat) and the Cold Gear for the current cold season (which has been keeping me pretty warm).

I know there are other options out there for cold weather warmth. For me though, I like my UA gear. Definitely worth it for me! :)

Rosa, the problem with REI is that if you are not trying on clothes made just for women, you are not going to find a good fit.

I wish you were closer to a Title 9 store. I know you would find something there.

Mary, I agree with you that it makes a HUGE difference with proper fit, when the clothing is made from women and for women, especially with odd or curvy proportions/measurements.

I did try on all the women's only sized clothing. I don't ever even touch the unisex stuff because I am way too small-boned (yet have curves) to have any luck with fit. Children's clothing just doesn't fit right, either, usually too loose or tight and wide & short in all the wrong places. I also wish that I was closer to Title 9, so I could see what you are talking about. I do trust your judgement, though, since you are a slender female who lives in the cold. (Thanks for all the advice!)

Hey Ro!

Try www,performancebike.com and look in the clothing section for the women's winter stuff. Road bike clothing runs REALLY small and they have loads of stuff that is windproof in the front but CoolMax in the back so you don't suffocate. The fit is very lean and not bulky at all since bike people like to be as streamlined as possible.

The stuff's relatively expensive and you have to handwash everything, but you could just buy a road bike too or take up snowboarding and justify a shopping spree!

-Laura (the good twin ;))