skymedic

XM Satelite radio help!!!

I got XM satelite radio from my wife for Xmas. Had it "activated" last night. It was installed by best buy. I am able to get the preview station but none of the other stations come in. I have had it "refreshed" over 10 times with no luck. Anyone have any idea's? I have called them back a ton of times and everytime they say to just wait 20minutes after I get it reset to check again and they'll be there...but no dice. I'm about to cancel the thing that's how mad I am.

GRRR...it's just a huge tease right now!!! Oh, I'm getting maximum bars on the signal strenght and the preview channel comes in nice and strong. Still no idea what to do about this.

Thanks,

Marc:(:(

My fiance had the same problem with his a couple of weeks ago. He's had it over 2 years now with no problems. Anyway, he called them and XM said that the problem was on our end but we told them the preview station was coming in. They were no help at all. He got so mad that he called them and cancelled the service and got Sirrus. I would go to Best Buy and make sure everything is hooked up right and call XM
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

I experienced the same frustration two years ago when we activated XM at Christmas. I don't know what they are doing wrong, but the problem went away after numerous calls and about 48 hours. I suspect holiday service is just poor. No problem since.

Ed

I assume you are using the FM modulator?? Make sure the radio station you are using on your car radio matches the radio station that is set on your XM unit.

Wait a minute, it probably is otherwise you would not be able to pick up the preview station.

I'll go look at the user's guide and see if I get any ideas.

You can solve all your problems by using a Sirius Sat radio instead. More satellites (XM's 3rd sat. fell into the Atlantic ocean), better CS, more selection and i just activated 2 radio's last night. Both work great. If you can cancel your subscription, I would. But then again, I'm biased with years of Sirius service. Check out their website and get a free 3 day preview of what they offer. You can listen to all the channels on the net.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

we activated ours a few days before Xmas, no problems. this may sound dumb, but you sure your giving them the right radio ID ? remember, no "Os" just zeros. there should be a note explaining this with your instructions.

i will never listen to sirus...cause that is where stern is going, or gone, well, who the fuck cares.

That happened to me when I got it, except I called and was quite...ummm...well, I politely told the guy I wasn't getting off the phone until it was activated and I politely told him about the impression I was getting about his company. In under 30 seconds it was activated and going strong. Basically the help desk guys don't care, but they have to maintain a certain call time average. Just like a lot of help desks out there (I know, I used to be internet telephone support). Use your "enemy's" weakness against them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

HA! Rabbit, man I haven't seen him in a while. Nope, not talking about it, its a straight up cereal commercial reference to what I told a low time jumper at my DZ when he asked how I did a wingover-attempt on a previous load.:D That low time jumper is a friend of mine and we both had a good laugh. It was one of those off the cuff comments that comes from no where but is funny, know what I mean?

Hey Marc...
Happy new Year amigo! I'm getting a sat radio for my daughter for a late Christmas gift,, haven't decided yet which service so will be watching to see how soon they fix ya up...
Best Buy told me one of the 2 have 3 sats and there's always one over the NW, so less dropped out signals in our area,, anyone know which one works best in the NW or have +/- input about the XM vs Sirius??

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Billy, if you read my previous post, you will see where my allegiance is. But I will describe further why. Both companies have sattelites that are in the same orbit as far as latitude goes. Sirius has 3 satelites, and XM only has 2. So being where we are in the US, the furthest northern state besides Maine, we benefit from the extra coverage of the 3rd satellite that Sirius has. Other than that, you have read about XM's customer service already on this thread. Sounds pretty crappy. XM has not been picking up all the big names in broadcasting like Sirius has. That means more money and security to Sirius's company. XM used to be the leader, only because they were the first. Not anymore. I predict XM's fall from grace, no pun intended with thier last sat. falling into the Atlantic Ocean.

Hows that?

Billy, if you read my previous post, you will see where my allegiance is. But I will describe further why. Both companies have sattelites that are in the same orbit as far as latitude goes. Sirius has 3 satelites, and XM only has 2. So being where we are in the US, the furthest northern state besides Maine, we benefit from the extra coverage of the 3rd satellite that Sirius has. Other than that, you have read about XM's customer service already on this thread. Sounds pretty crappy. XM has not been picking up all the big names in broadcasting like Sirius has. That means more money and security to Sirius's company. XM used to be the leader, only because they were the first. Not anymore. I predict XM's fall from grace, no pun intended with thier last sat. falling into the Atlantic Ocean.

Hows that?

Does Sirius have weather graphics (radar, satellites, etc) in real time?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kallend,

Not that I know of. I do not believe that either XM, or SIRIUS offers any visual displays of weather. Perhaps the satellite they broadcast from is a shared sat. I would find it hard to believe that the company would have the capitol to build and launch its privately owned sat. But then again, private companies are launching sat's for pennies compared to the big government firms.

Kallend,

Not that I know of. I do not believe that either XM, or SIRIUS offers any visual displays of weather. Perhaps the satellite they broadcast from is a shared sat. I would find it hard to believe that the company would have the capitol to build and launch its privately owned sat. But then again, private companies are launching sat's for pennies compared to the big government firms.

You can get weather graphics on XM. It's becoming very popular with pilots of small planes that can't carry weather radar..

www.xmradio.com/weather/

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yep...made sure I registered with the right serial number. over and over and over again...everytime you call them they need the number again. Hopefully they will figure it out. I'm getting more frustrated by the minute. I have to drive to chicago now and wont have the benefit of my new sat radio. GRRRR.....GRRRR:S:S:S

Oh FM modulator is working perfectly too...that's why the preview station comes in crystal clear.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

XM has not been picking up all the big names in broadcasting like Sirius has. That means more money and security to Sirius's company

Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. Sirius that has a lot less subscribers than XM and are taking a huge gamble by hoping that Howard Stern's fans will follow him to satellite.

As an XM subscriber you also get free internet subscription.

P.S. HS used to be funny, but he's sucked for years, and I would definately not pay just to get him
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

The only reason that XM has more subscribers is because they were the first sat. radio company. It has been in business longer. That, by no means makes it a better company. If we were to apply your model, that would make AOL the best internet ISP. Yeah, not so true. The fact that you have not been able to get recievers for Sirius very readily lately, is proof how many people are buying the service, and perhaps that is because HS is joining Sirius. You and I share the same opinion of HS, but its just that, only an opinion of ours. The truth is that he is the biggest shock jock of all time, and makes his advertisers millions and millions.

Sirius also comes with an internet subscription.

I got XM satelite radio from my wife for Xmas. Had it "activated" last night. It was installed by best buy. I am able to get the preview station but none of the other stations come in. I have had it "refreshed" over 10 times with no luck. Anyone have any idea's? I have called them back a ton of times and everytime they say to just wait 20minutes after I get it reset to check again and they'll be there...but no dice. I'm about to cancel the thing that's how mad I am.

GRRR...it's just a huge tease right now!!! Oh, I'm getting maximum bars on the signal strenght and the preview channel comes in nice and strong. Still no idea what to do about this.

Thanks,

Marc:(:(

when they said just wait 20 min. did you leave it turned on?

leave it turned on for an hour and see what happens.

Hey, AOL wasn't the first ISP. Hell, they were just basically a BBS with a fancy interface for a very long time.

Ever hear of USENIX? Nope? Well, that was the first real ISP.

First doesn't mean having the most users. Hell, Microsoft wasn't the first OS manufacture. They didn't make the first word processing software either. Apple wasn't really the first home computer system either. Ever hear of Osborne or Wordstar?;)

I'm not saying that XM is better then Sirius or vice-versa, just that your arguement is flawed.

Personally I have XM and love it, but I haven't had Sirius. If XM ever pisses me off, then I might move on.