jumper03

Okay Brits - wtf is pie?????

There's a tv commercial on in the states now with a gecko with a british accent lecturing other reptiles and he says "...asking if they want a free quote is like asking if they want free pie and chips...of course they want pie and chips...it's pie....with chips....for free..."

I know what chips are - wtf is pie???
Apple pie? Key lime pie? Can you pie someone with this pie??
Scars remind us that the past is real

You've never had meat pies? Steak and kidney pie? Steak and potato pie? Geez. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Ah the British contribution to haute cuisine...Pies....
What you guys refer to as pie is more like 'flan' to us.
The most common manifestation of this phenomenon is a small pastry cylinder about 2" deep, 3-4 " diameter, with a pastry lid on it.
They can be (and often are!) filled with just about anything.
Where I live the 'Scots' pie is the most common, its filled with mince (ground beef).
Locally I can get....
mince,
steak,
chicken,
curry,
lasagne,
meat and potato,
lamb,
haggis.
Also apple, rhubarb and gooseberry.

These are normally eaten hot, so you don't want to be pied by one!

The famous pork pie is a different animal again, different pastry and normally eaten cold.

See also pasty, Forfar bridie, turnover, and sausage roll for variants on a theme.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

jesus

this post is making my mouth water !!!!!

The best Pie I ever had was in Oxgangs Edinburgh, which was a Scotch pie with brown sauce ( watered down with sarsons ) on top and small portion of chips.

hey guys dont forget the " Fur Pie" Im sure that would top the list in mans favourite pie.;)

It can't be described properly through this comparison, but think of a Pot Pie, except the crust on the English pie is flakey, rich, and buttery, and the filling is usually savory and made with fresher ingrediants.

They are amazing, my favorite being Steak and Mushroom. New Zealand has the same thing.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

"err.. no idea what your on about."
White pudding aka mealie pudding, mealie jerker or a virgin's delight.
Deep fried oatmeal stuffing sausage kinda thing.

Think haggis without the meat (or animal by products)!
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Pie and chips are part of the reason why I gained weight when I went to Europe last year. I loved it! It's so good and so bad for you!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon