Peej

Do nice guys finish last?

A conversation in another thread made me think about this. I have some friends who believe in the theory of: "Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen". I also know some girls who are beautiful both inside and out who date complete assholes. They get treated like shit constantly but go back for more every time.

Kirzz reckons: "The challenge is what makes it exciting. And some girls just get bored easily.. nice guys are boring, assholes keep you on your toes. There is something about assholes... they treat you like shit but the fact that they're not bending over backwards for you is what interests you.. can't explain it."

What do you think? Do nice guys finish last, just like the Greenday song says?

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

In reply to GTAVercetti - I don't treat girls like crap.

I also will not bend over backwards for them either.

--

Well, do you finish last? And if not then what sort of girls do you date? Nice girls or the ones who are nice on the outside and devlish and mischievious on the inside?

Do nice guys finish last

Are we talking Sex here?? If so.. Then yes.. Nice Guys Finish Last!!:P

Seriously.. I dont think it is so much a Nice guys finish last thing or Women only want Assholes..
Women have no repect for guys who are total Push overs and only Kiss thier ass. I think most women want a Nice Guy with a Backbone.

I date girls who are truthful, don't play games, and have SOME type of wild streak. I don't tolerate crap very well, so if a girl wants to be a bitch more often than not, she is gone.

And yes, I USED to finish last when I dealt with less mature women (in college for instance).

Now, I do what I want and don't worry about what place I am in. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

No.

I have never met a hot, nice guy that finished last. My guess is that women are far more superficial than men realize. I've met guys where the first thing they tell me is how much they make a year or how much stuff they've bought. I've met guys who try to tell me all the bad ass crap they do. These guys do the same things to other women. Most women I know don't notice a guy's bank account or his baddassness first. They're much more likely to notice his body/face first, much like men noticing women.

I want to meet a woman that says, "This really hot guy was really thoughtful, and he bought me tickets to a concert that I had mentioned wanting to go to, but doesn't that seem a little too 'nice'? I think I'm going to the bar to meet a complete dick instead."

There are women who go for assholes, just like there are men who go for drama queens. I do not think they are in the majority (at least, I haven't met many.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I date girls who are truthful, don't play games, and have SOME type of wild streak.

Girls who don't play games?!? I thought they were merely a myth! lol

I used to work for Lavalife and Girls that don't play games are few and far between it sometimes seems. I myself am also not really into Girls who play games. I tend to get annoyed with the situation and just walk away from it. Not worth it.

My old roommate firmly believes that "most" girls don't even really pay that much attention to guys looks. What he has found makes them tick is the ability to make them laugh and keep them laughing.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

That's true! You know... I used to be one of those people - whenever some guy would comment superficially on girls, I would say "how about her personality, you are so superficial". But then I slowly realized that personality is all good but you have to be physically attracted to the person too.. that sexual attraction is half the relationship. No matter how great their personality, if you're not attracted to them, then they fall into the friends basket.

And I figured out women. It's too easy. If she likes the guy, he could do anything (send her flowers, sms her 10 times in a day, show up at her door - whatever) and she would think it was adorable and sweet. Whereas if she doesn't like the guy and he did the same things, she would think he was a freak. It all boils down to whether or not she likes the guy.. and that is the enigma for you guys.

Do nice guys finish last

Are we talking Sex here?? If so.. Then yes.. Nice Guys Finish Last!!:P

Seriously.. I dont think it is so much a Nice guys finish last thing or Women only want Assholes..
Women have no repect for guys who are total Push overs and only Kiss thier ass. I think most women want a Nice Guy with a Backbone.

Agreed.

And the bolded comment is completely accurate. I know that I've got my nice guy with a backbone. :$
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

If she likes the guy, he could do anything (send her flowers, sms her 10 times in a day, show up at her door - whatever) and she would think it was adorable and sweet. Whereas if she doesn't like the guy and he did the same things, she would think he was a freak. It all boils down to whether or not she likes the guy...

This is true. :|

I think most women want a Nice Guy with a Backbone.

This is also true. :|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I also know some girls who are beautiful both inside and out who date complete assholes. They get treated like shit constantly but go back for more every time.

Such women may have a lot of wonderful qualities but they still have issues. Anyone who is excited about being abused needs therapy.

As for nice guys finishing last--I know a lot of abusive bastards who see themselves as nice guys. And their friends may even see them as nice guys. But to their wives and girlfriends, they're still abusive bastards.

We had a couple in yesterday. She's 75, he's 80. She makes a very bad impression because she seems to be weepy and whiny. He acts as if he's her caretaker because he would like the world to think she's not competent to survive without him, even though it's her money that they live off of. Her entire history is that of an emotionally abused spouse. I wanted to kill the fucking husband for being such a contemptuous, abusive and, to me, contemptible, son-of-a-bitch. She "married beneath her" and she's been paying for it ever since.

Imagine living that way for more than 50 years.

Most guys--whether they live large or quietly--are good guys. But guys with esteem issues masquerading as an overwheening ego can bite me.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Nice guys usually don't finish last. Nice guys spend a lot of time in last place, though. Throughout the teenage years, they are in last place. Usually throughout the early 20's they also remain there.

However, they usually find themselves unexpectedly in first place later on. I have been variously described as one of the nicest guys around. Hell, one of my nicknames was "Ned Flanders" while I was in college (seriously).

Unexpectedly in the last couple of years, I found myself with a hot wife, a beautiful baby, a pimp house and a great career and a great business.

Nice guys spend a lot of time in last place. But they usually finish in first.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Nice guys usually don't finish last. Nice guys spend a lot of time in last place, though. Throughout the teenage years, they are in last place. Usually throughout the early 20's they also remain there.

Yeah, that is what I meant. Its true. I am not in my early 20's anymore. I am doing just fine. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

However, they usually find themselves unexpectedly in first place later on.

I gotta agree with you on this one.

Just be yourself - everything will take care of itself in due time. Patience is a virtue.
Scars remind us that the past is real

And I figured out women. It's too easy. If she likes the guy, he could do anything (send her flowers, sms her 10 times in a day, show up at her door - whatever) and she would think it was adorable and sweet. Whereas if she doesn't like the guy and he did the same things, she would think he was a freak. It all boils down to whether or not she likes the guy.. and that is the enigma for you guys.

True, but wanted to add that flowers & candy, etc. doesn't = nice guy necessarily. My hunny is not realy the romantic type. But, he does other things that are incredibly sweet. He might forget to take out the trash---but he NEVER forgets to check my car oil & tire pressure before I drive to my sales meeting every other month (a 10-hour round trip). I've never asked him to do it, nor do I tell him more than once I'll be gone. He's funny like that. that's just one example Remind him of the trash a million times he'll still forget, but when it really matters, he's the best. And that's what's most important to me and imo, makes him a "nice guy".

As far as the original question--I never dated assholes, or at least, not for longer than 5 minutes. Ha! Sometimes it's takes that long to figure out he's an asshole. I never dated the "hottie" b/c the ones I knew were assholes.

No, I don't think nice guys finish last. :P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

It's been my experience that most women want a nice guy, but "nice" is usually one of the last things they look for. First, they find a good looking guy with confidence, and then they dig beneath the surface, hoping to find a nice guy hiding under his cool, good looking exterior. I think that's why so many girls think there aren't any nice guys--They keep dating guys they're physically attracted to, and quite often these guys learned early in life that they can get women without putting in the effort to be nice or considerate. I also think that's why most "nice" guys think girls just want assholes or bad boys--They don't have the looks and/or the confidence to attract most women in the first place, and they have to constantly hear women complain about dating jerks.

Fortunately, I'm good looking and nice, so it's not a problem for me. };^)

The same goes for girls thinking guys want airheads or bimbos. Guys don't really WANT airheads or bimbos, but most guys put intelligence too low on the list of things they initially look for. Guys are attracted to the hot chick in the skimpy outfit, and then they're surprised when she doesn't turn out to be a card carrying member of Mensa.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I'm a nice guy, always have been. If you define "last place" as being unpopular and unlucky in love, then I've definitely been at the head of the pack since I turned 17. Before that, yeah, I was picked on and shunned, but that's because teenagers (boys especially) are fucking assholes, excluding anyone who doesn't fit their narrow definitions of "cool". I'm tempted to go to my high school reunion and throw it in their faces, but I'd rather spend that time skydiving.B|

As far as the women go, any woman who dissed me for being "nice" is just a bitch and not worth my time. There are all kinds of women out there who are mature enough to accept emotional depth and genuine kindness.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I think that's why so many girls think there aren't any nice guys--They keep dating guys they're physically attracted to

I guess I see things differently because #1 I don't know of many women who complain that there aren't many "nice guys" out there, and #2 I see a similar proportion of hot guys being jerks as not-hot guys being jerks.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I think it could have something to do with a common mistake people make, along the lines of "don't mistake kindness for weakness"... perhaps because their superficiality prevents them from taking the time to learn about someone enough to know the difference.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957