Icon134

40 Year Old Virgin

You know the movie... I watched it this evening... I've been avoiding the movie like the plague.

It was good... there were parts that I really didn't like... but there were also parts that were extremely funny (I especially enjoyed a bunch of the bonus features)

Now, my question is why is it that we as a society have such a stigma towards virgins?

Y'all are welcome to ignore this if you so desire...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Now, my question is why is it that we as a society have such a stigma towards virgins?

Knee-jerk reaction to the highly conservative affection for the chaste path?

I dunno, just fishing for SC-style responses. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Perhaps it's our society's way of trying to seperate itself from it's puritanical origins and traditions?
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Perhaps it's our society's way of trying to seperate itself from it's puritanical origins and traditions?

Ahh, my faith is restored. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Knee-jerk reaction to the highly conservative affection for the chaste path?

I dunno, just fishing for SC-style responses.

Actually I'd just as soon avoid SC type responses... :$

to some extent I think of it from more or less a scientific propigation of genetics...

socieologically speaking we are dependent on sexual intercourse to survive and someone that isn't "active" doesn't assist in that survival. Of course there is something to be said about waiting until after marrige in order to ensure that there is less burden on society...

Scott

I debated putting this in SC...

FWIW: I'm just conserned that I'm likely to be the but of this movies joke...

Stay in SC scott. We don't take kindly to people like you round here:P

You mean virgins :) or freaks :D

I'm not as freaky as Andy (in the movie) is... I don't have a huge collection of action figures... :P

Are my husband and I the only two that thought the movie was overrated? It was ok, but not any more than that.

No, I thought it was overrated too.

Me three. It had some funny parts but was far too inconsistent. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's because the thought is, "IF you can't get laid by the time you're 16, there's something wrong with you."

I guess I had something seriously wrong with me. DO you old-time posters here remember how sweet and refreshing it was back when Arthur was still chaste? Now he's getting tattoos and stuff. See what that activity does?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

B| You promiscuous young'uns! Gettin laid, at the tender age of 40?! Who ever heard of such a thing?! I copped my first "knee-feel", last week....figure I'll be gettin' lucky, pretty soon. I ordered a new walker...."ribbed, for her pleasure". I'm hopin' to corral the lil' filly, in the restroom....at the Golden Country Buffet, one of these mornin's! Damn! Those support hose drive me wild!
"T'was ever thus."

DO you old-time posters here remember how sweet and refreshing it was back when Arthur was still chaste? Now he's getting tattoos and stuff. See what that activity does?

Yup, I remember the days of trying to get Viking laid.

And remember his "I am getting drunk for the first time" thread? ;)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

The movie was funny, but didn't it seem as if it dragged on FOREVER!!

About virgins- it is funny because I know some people (in their mid twenties) who are virgins. by society's norms, this just is not normal. I have seen people's reactions to the statement, "I am 25 and still a virgin." People react with, "Wow, that is really good" or "I respect that" however, by the tone in their voice and facial expression, I get the feeling they really often times think, "What is his/her problem?"

That is really sad... I am not a virgin, but I used to say that I was going to wait until I was at least "in love" of not married to have sex.That does not mean that I have always complied with this statement, due to our society, pressure, alcohol and whatever else... However, what I normally see is that these days the thought of "sex until marriage" rarely happens and it is sad to for me to see so many friends (guys and girls) who have sex with lots of people just to "get laid" then if something negative results, such as pregnancy or a STD they say "how could this have happened?"

Take responsibility for your actions and realize that the consequences of sex can often times be more than just an hour or less of pleasure...

OK, off my soap box now...
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

The movie was funny, but didn't it seem as if it dragged on FOREVER!!

I think part of the problem is that I saw it on DVD, and the only option was the "uncut" version, so it was longer than the theatrical version. So, I saw the stuff that probably was better off left on the cutting room floor.

About virgins- it is funny because I know some people (in their mid twenties) who are virgins. by society's norms, this just is not normal. I have seen people's reactions to the statement, "I am 25 and still a virgin." People react with, "Wow, that is really good" or "I respect that" however, by the tone in their voice and facial expression, I get the feeling they really often times think, "What is his/her problem?"

Very well put... I'm over 25... and sometimes I "do" think there's something wrong with me. [:/]

I have a really good friend... that has/had only been with one person... I think she stayed in the relationship longer then she really should have because of the connection from the sex (he was the jealous/controling type and everyone except her saw it...)

Scott

There's nothing wrong with waiting. Two of my best friends are over 25 and still haven't done the deed. Just waiting for the right woman.

Or maybe I just hang out with losers. :P
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

very good thread. i thought the movie really went over the top w/ w/ banality but in the end had a fairly redeeming message.

i was not a virgin when i married. far from it. and i deeply regret most of my "escapades." it saddled me with baggage. my wife on the other hand was a virgin when we married. and ya know, i'm forever grateful that she decided to wait for whom she would one day marry. she brought no baggage to the bedroom. just a willingness to give all of herself to her husband. and i don't have to worry about her past... does she compare me to other lovers, does she still fantasize about others, etc. i also have no worries about her straying. she is singularly devoted and i believe strongly that being a virgin when we married has a lot to do w/ all of that.

of course, this isn't to say that nonvirgins can't have these things... i just think it can be more challenging.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...