micro

Is it real or photoshop?

Michael, after doing much researching on this subject tonight (meh, nothing else to do...), I discover that I very likely owe a donut to both you and Arthur. The shot was taken from a boat anchored in Capetown, SA, and so my theory of it being an airborne shot is null. Next time I see both of you, I'll pay up.

However, the shot was taken by the folks who do the research for the Great White Trust. I believe the copyright to the photo is held by Michael Scholl, the founder of the GWT. Furthermore, an explanation of the use of the kayak was that any motor used in a boat can interfere with the shark's behavior, and as that is what they are studying, they decided to use a kayak. They set a kayak in the water several times (or more...) which was empty, to find out what the shark's behavior might be. Once satisfied that the researchers could in fact understand and protect the kayaker, they put a manned kayak into the water, shut down their engines, and thus the stage was set. So the person in this thread who indicated it was done for research purposes was actually correct (and following that particular train of thought is what brought me to the information via many google searchs and much link reading...).

There was an article which ran in the African Geographic (a national rather than international, african "version" of National Geographic) in September 2005, that this shot accompanied. I am sorry I can't link over the article; apparently you have to be a subscriber to access back issues from their on-line site. But the front page of the site offers this shot as a poster, and was part of the illustration of the article.

After reading and researching and discovering far more about shark attack behavior than I had previously known (including the fact that GWs "spy-hop", lift their head above the surface to identify unknown, and will swim with their backs out of the water to see more, it's thought), I stand behind my assessment of the photo as being real.

And yes, I'll agree wholeheartedly, it is scary.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

if it were anything over a 300mm regardless of max f-stop the same magnifacation that flattens the viewing plane would make it a BITCH to hold steady. Speaking of flattening the plane. Take a look at the mountains in the background. If it was taken with a telephoto the shallow DOF they create would throw them out of focus. The only way to get them that in focus would be to use f22 and that would slow the shutter speed down enough to cuase blur.

:)

About the plane/helo thing. Come on girl you know what 200 feet looks like and the angle of view it creates.

I still think it was taken with a medium length lens from an anchored boat.

F11-F16, parfocal focussed, 100-400mm IS lens would do it, as well...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

hey half of that is mine. I figured it out without doing any research!!B|:P:P

Oh and Michele can i have a granola bar instead of a donut?:)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

1/2 of it can't be yours if you want some pansy ass granola bar, ya freak!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

if it were anything over a 300mm regardless of max f-stop the same magnifacation that flattens the viewing plane would make it a BITCH to hold steady. Speaking of flattening the plane. Take a look at the mountains in the background. If it was taken with a telephoto the shallow DOF they create would throw them out of focus. The only way to get them that in focus would be to use f22 and that would slow the shutter speed down enough to cuase blur.

:)

About the plane/helo thing. Come on girl you know what 200 feet looks like and the angle of view it creates.

I still think it was taken with a medium length lens from an anchored boat.

F11-F16, parfocal focussed, 100-400mm IS lens would do it, as well...

if the point of focus was far enough out that the DOF went all the way to infinity then yes I agree.

well what if i was gonna give it to Star Jones ya greedy focker:|

well what if i was gonna give it to Star Jones ya greedy focker:|

yeah, like SHE needs it? damn dude, you got something against negros who have lost alot of weight? you just trying to keep the black (wo)man down, cracka!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Arthur, I'll get you a granola bar, but you owe me a donut...after all, the only point I conceded to you was the platform of the camera, not the reality of the shot...that's something I've held steady through the entire thing.

Michael, that donut is just way too big. How about a real one in Illinois sometime this summer so I can get some lightening shots? LOL!!!

Arthur, of course it would be focused out at infinity; there's no need for a tight DoF on this sort of shot...and would literally work against it. So I can see f11/f16 as possible, and that would also eliminate the blur.

Well, we can put this issue to bed now, can't we? 'Cause that's where I'm heading. Great Olympics tonight; the Chinese pair who placed second showed heart, courage, and determination...China should be very very proud. (Maybe that will get this thread moved into SC...LOLOL!)

Ciels-
Michele

i wasn't debating the reality of the shot just how it was taken. Lisa was the one that thought it was a photoshop. haha. But i'll buy ya lunch anyway.

Arthur, I'll get you a granola bar, but you owe me a donut.
Michele

what about a donut for cesslon, he was first to say it was south africa etc

those scuba d00bers were pretty lame ass lol
vis isnt just good in the tropics lol
and ya can tell by the fin its a 100% GWS
and people have swam with GWS before

if ya google for "great white shark hawaii"
you'll even find the vid of the d00d swimming with a big motho GWS off hawaii (and yes they can go that far north)

Do I get a donut for saying its not real and going above and beyond my duties to prove it? I need a donut... or a cheeseburger

Baby, when I see you in Dublin, I'll have donuts AND cheeseburgers for you! ;)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Do I get a donut for saying its not real and going above and beyond my duties to prove it? I need a donut... or a cheeseburger

Sorry, Lisa Marie. Donuts only go to those who're right.

Arthur said he thought it was a boat, and indeed it was. He gets a donut (or granola bar).
Cesslon said it was research in SA, and indeed it was. He gets a donut.
I said the photo was real, went "above and beyond" to explain why, and "prove" it. So I get a donut (which was the bet anyway).

It's just the way it goes. ;)

There'll be another donut in the offing someday. I promise.

Ciels-
Michele

I posted the picture into another forum I hang out at with my fishing buddies, here is what I got as a reply.

That one picture always makes me laugh my ass off.... lemme see if I can find the original...

this one :D:D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality