Sabre2ooth

Travelling with Rig...... Help needed

Hi guys,

I'm flying out to Seville from Stansted in a couple of weeks to do some freefly coaching (with Mikey & Jim from Outbreak) and want to take my rig on as hand luggage (don't really fancy leaving my £4k rig in the hold). I don't want to just sling it over my shoulder and have been looking at the following covers:

http://www.shop-com.co.uk/Rucksack_Rain_Cover_70l-54468643-p!.shtml?trk=2

Problem is not sure what size I need. They come in 40l or 70l. I would have the thought the 40 but have no idea really. Any help would be appreciated.

Blue skies,

Ryan.

I bought a bag for mine and it wouldn't fit in the overhead. So the last 3 trips I just sling it over my shoulder. Like you said I wouldn't trust an airline employee handling it as checked in baggage.

I suppose experiences vary. I regularly check mine as baggage, and ask the TSA to hand inspect the bag containing my rig prior to "locking" it with colored zipties. Haven't had a problem traveling to dozens of destinations in the USA, and probably a dozen international.

In the states, the average kitchen trash can holds a 13 gallon bag. That's approx 50l. So if your rig will fit with room to spare in a kitchen trash bag (assuming you use the same kinds of cans), it should fit okay in a 40l bag. I think :)
If you get a tight fit, go with 70l and it'll just be a little baggy, huh?

Owned by Remi #?

I see from your profile you are an investment banker. If so, you should be able to afford the cost of buying a separate hard case (I use a large plastic crate), paying the excess, locking it securely (padlocks and cable ties for me) and putting it in the hold. I travel lots with my rigs, always in the hold, never any problems thus far (must be 30-40 trips internationally)..
FYI BA will allow you to take an extra bag with sports equipment, although if you are travelling from Stanstead I guess you are doing ryanair or easyjet or similar so are likely to have to pay for excess.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

I'm not only concerned about the handling of the rig, but also that it will get lost. If I'm on my way to a boogie, I want to make sure I have at least one of my rigs and my WS with me. I have recently found a well fitting backpack that will hold a rig and still fit under the seat. Once I start carrying camera gear, then it will get a little more difficult choosing what to carry on. I carry those on since they are harder to replace on very short notice compared to a helmet and alti. On the way home, I'm only a little more likely to check both of my rigs.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I arrived with lots of paperwork including an answer from the airline saying it was acceptable luggage. There were no hassles and I knew if challenged I could assault them with 10lbs of paperwork on every possible complaint they might have.

One other thing, I had the smallest possible rolling suitcase that I could squeeze the rig into. Probably the best idea as you don't want to raise eyebrows and have them challenge you because they're concerned it will alarm other passengers.

-Michael

There was a person a few years ago on here that posted about a rig that was in checked baggage. One of the TSA screeners was unsure of what it was and decided to use a prod to "poke" at the rig. Put a whole bunch of holes in the reserve. I believe they didn't find it till it was packed at next repack.

I would check expensive cameras too if that was the only way to do it. However, my rig is a life saving device. A good pre-doning gear check can't check everything. I prefer to keep it where I know no one has fucked with my rig. My life is on the line.

To each their own though. :)

~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Rig, camera, or anything else that isn't clothing, is hand-inspected. Always. All you need to do is ask, and stand there with the lock and zip ties in your hands. If you *really* wanna have security, tell them there is a firearm in the case with the gear, and carry a 20.00 starter pistol in there. They treat the gear very differently when there is a firearm involved, and the gear is tracked from destination to destination.
Given that I travel a minimum of 120k miles per year, we've learned a lot of tricks. Nothing is stolen any more, nothing has been damaged for years, and I feel very comfortable with the methods we've established.

...Once I start carrying camera gear, then it will get a little more difficult choosing what to carry on. ...

You are allowed one carry one bag and one "personal item". I carry on a suitcase which contains my rig and logbook. I also carry my camera case as my personal item.
... Marion

My experiences of hold baggage have been a little different - i have had cases broken into whilst they have been in the TSA's "care" (albeit a few years ago) ...

I even stood on one occasion and with the TSA whilst they searched my bags in LAX and locked my bags once they had verified that the search was complete - i arrived at my destination to find a suitcase complete with broken locks - the airline suggested that it must have opened in the hold - until i produced a receipt showing that the case had been bought the day before i travelled and the marks INSIDE the case showed clearly where the locks had been broken to gain access - whether it was the TSA or the local baggage handlers it reminded me to carry my rigs whenever possible ...

I have also watched handlers thrown my case down violently and then pick it up and hurl it across the floor laughing when they thought everyone had gone - they were laughing until i arrived and asked for their supervisor and took their names and those of some independant witnesses and explained that they would be personally billed for all damages in a civil case ...

It may not hold in law but if you introduce enough doubt into their minds about the possible consequences it's interesting to see them start back-pedaling and apologising ...

I usually carry at least one rig onto the plane as hand luggage and keep all my paper work with me. I find that if you are polite and helpful rather than argumentative it goes a long way too ...

Also arrive in plenty of time and stand your ground reasonably - in Auckland they told me "the captain won't let you on with a parachute as he doesn't have one" I explained that they hadn't minded when i'd flown into NZ with my rig as a carry-on item. We discussed it for almost an hour and they were running out of excuses as to why it would not be allowed onboard when i introduced my friend who was sitting with me as a being a local reporter who would be running the story shortly ...

10 minutes later and i was on the plane WITH my rig ... :)
I often use either a light weight stash bag which is convenient as you can put a fair bit of other stuff in there or sometimes i carry it on without any sort of container - 90% of the security screeners pass it without a second glance ...

Some even stop you just to have a chat about it and to show the new guys - again a bit of politeness works wonders ...

I have even been fast-tracked past all of the people queueing by a TSA screener waving my TSA paperwork and shouting to his colleagues "it's ok he's got a permit" - i jumped every queue until my friendly guy left me picking up my hold bags having saved me an hour's wait to go through immigration !!!

Just did research into that myself. I'll carry my Rig as carry-on baggage, my laptop (counts kinda as a mens' purse equivalent) as personal belonging and my camera equipment as just that.

Info here:
Parachutes
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm
Camera equipment
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1248.shtm

No link for laptop bags as personal belongings...

But if you tell them that you are not intending to check a 4K parachute, a 3K laptop and a 5K camera bag for an insurance in case of loss of 500-600 USD/kg, they usually let you go.
Still, this is not set in stone, it MAY vary from airline to airline. Bad enough they allow 15 kg free extra for scuba gear as sports baggage, but not for sports parachutes...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

There are a hundred "my situation was different" stories.
My experiences traveling at least once a week with half a million $$ worth of lenses, camera body, and related production personals, plus international travel with same, has given me a fairly consistent experience once I've drilled it down to a few things. Someone suggested I write an article on travel with gear, and I'm doing exactly that. In the mean time, when you *do* run into those moments;
Stay calm, keep your voice modulated.
Never swear, not even "damn or hell."
Ask a lot of questions, asking them nicely, not in an offensive or assertive tone of voice.
Take photos. If they try to deny you photos of your gear, ask nicely why they're preventing you from photographing your gear. (this is technically illegal, be prepared for a lot of resistance).
Have a clear inventory of the bag where you and the TSA can see it.

yes, locks can break "in the hold":S and the airline will attempt to claim no responsibility. They're like an insurance company, they're trained to deny, deny, deny. S' OK. Because you can press, press, press. I've had to challenge AirFrance on many occasions (I truly understand why the French are amongst the most-hated people in the world).
I have zero fear packing my stuff in the hold. I carry some things with me too. Bear in mind, you're technically allowed three carry-ons, but if you try bringing on a rig, camera bag of normal size, and a "purse" or laptop, you'll be screwed. The airline has the right, and usually they'll exercise it, to limit your carryon VOLUME in addition to the number of bags.

I usually carry at least one rig onto the plane as hand luggage and keep all my paper work with me. I find that if you are polite and helpful rather than argumentative it goes a long way too ...

I can't emphasize this enough. I haven't traveled outside the U.S. or Canada with my rig, but this has gotten me out of a lot of potentially challenging situations, and I've had a lot of interactions with TSA that have actually been a lot of fun. Lots of TSA agents are actually quite curious about skydiving and skydiving gear and you can use it as a teaching opportunity. Some of them have been excited "Oh oh oh I remember this from training but this is the first time I've seen one for real." I've brought out my AAD card because they are curious to learn more about how it works, not because they've challenged my right to carry it on (although I've brought it out in that circumstance, too.

There's only been a small handful of instances where I've had to be more insistent about my right to carry on my gear, and it's generally been as a result of miscommunication. In one case, the screeners were concerned about my AAD and the supervisor began to tell me I would have to check it before he actually observed the x-ray himself. Once he went back and looked at the x-ray, he had no problem with it. In another case, a supervisor mistakenly was under the impression I was a military parachutist and asked to see my "orders." Once I explained to her I was a sport parachutist and showed her the TSA letter, then she got very interested in the part that said she could open my reserve. Eek. I calmly mentioned that yes, she could, but I'd have to get an FAA-certified rigger to repack it, and that would be very difficult for me prior to my flight. The mere mention of the FAA seemed to make her lose interest.:)

Mostly, any freak-out is going to be a new screener who's never seen one before who is going to call over their supervisor or a more senior screener who's going to shrug and say "yeah, so what? Swab it and move on." :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I wouldn't try the handgun trick in Canada or the UK. Way too much hassle with import permits or possesion permits. I routinely check my gear. btw. Sometimes my gear bag is the onlp piece of luggage to arrive. It's so heavy, they have to hand load it. My only funny experience was on a trip to Switzerland. The AirCanada check-in guy wasn't sure you could bring a parachute onto a plane! He called down to baggage and was told to put his phone on speakerphone. the head of baggage then shout out: You idiot! How do you hink they get up high enough to jump and land? When I was returning through Zuerich, I arrived very early just in case...the woman at Lufthansa asked why-when I told her about the guy in Calgary, she just stood ther open-mouthed and eventually said that if they didn't let skydivers bring their gear on the plane, half their winter business would disappear.
Es gibt nur zwei Dinge welche unendlich sind: das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, wobei ich mir beim Ersten nicht ganz sicher bin..

i've done the handgun "trick" many times into Edmonton and Montreal. no problems at all.
it's a starter pistol. In Australia, the customs guys just laughed,and then asked if they could film me for their (apparently very popular) "Customs" television show.
I declined.

There is some good info on this on the USPA website I have traveled many times with mine in the past and have just put it in a bag and carried it on. The info on the USPA website says the same "carry it on" youll get some funny looks and they will want to open the bag of course just ensure you dont forget to take out the hook knife lol