maurice1369

VECTOR2???

Hello All,

My question goes out to all the Vector2 owners in the Community. I am looking into getting a Vector2 container and it was inspected by a rigger and was told that the container itself has only about 400 jumps on it. Although it is relatively old I was told that it still has a feww more years of jumps left in it. I want to know what other jumpers who omw a Vector2 think about the container
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

My question goes out to all the Vector2 owners in the Community. I am looking into getting a Vector2 container and it was inspected by a rigger and was told that the container itself has only about 400 jumps on it. Although it is relatively old I was told that it still has a feww more years of jumps left in it. I want to know what other jumpers who own a Vector2 think about the container

They're good solid containers, and if it's been treated right 400 jumps is nothing.

Like Bigway said though, they're not Free-Fly friendly so if that's important to you then don't get one. If it's not important then the V2 could be a perfectly functional, dirt cheap first container.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hello All,

My question goes out to all the Vector2 owners in the Community. I am looking into getting a Vector2 container and it was inspected by a rigger and was told that the container itself has only about 400 jumps on it. Although it is relatively old I was told that it still has a feww more years of jumps left in it. I want to know what other jumpers who omw a Vector2 think about the container

As previously mentioned the Vector 2 is not a bad container but it is definately very old technology. Unless it is a freebie there is no reason not to buy something a bit more secure. If you are military go for the 50% off wings. I doubt you could find anything with low jumps used at that price.

Good luck.:P

I have a Vector 2 container and I have been very happy with it for a first container. I have about 30 jumps on it so far.
It has mods done to allow freeflying although I only belly fly for now and will replace it before I begin freeflying.

If you can get a 50% discount on Wings though that might be the better option so you can get a custom harness with newer technology.

I have a Vector 2 DOM 1995. I've jumped it for about 320 jumps now (it has about 800 total and I'm like the 5th person at my dz to call it "my first rig"). Like other have said, unless its had the mods, stay on your belly. But you should have no problems with being on your belly. I always check my pin before exiting as an added precaution (something everyone should do but I'm a little anal about it) and it has never been out of place. My rigger has commented the last two repack jobs how great a launch he gets on the reserve because its older (and broke in). There's someone on dz.com that has the sig line that's somewhere along the lines of "just because its not freefly friendly doesn't make it unsafe or crap". I've done fun jumps, 4 way competitions, launched cats out of a 182, etc with my Vector and have never (knock on wood) had a problem (all on belly with "moderate tumbling at times).

But only 46 more days until my new Wings is scheduled to ship!!! I do not have the cookie cutter skydiver body type and I am very much looking forward to something that fits me right. Otherwise its quite possible that I would be jumping this container for another 320 jumps.

Have fun! Be Safe!

I have about 150 sit-fly jumps (out of about 2000 jumps on the rig) on my Vector2. No problem. I replace the velcro when it is needed and keep my pin tight. My main flap is in good shape and hasn't been deformed by trying to stuff a too big canopy into it.
That said, 50% off a wings container is a pretty sweet deal.

Whether buying a Vector II is appropriate for a new skydiver also partially depends on the local jumper climate.

In some areas it might be looked down on as too old in style, nobody else jumps stuff like that, and so you won't easily be able to sell it again locally after a couple seasons when you want to upgrade or downsize. In other areas, it might be perfectly normal as a starter rig, for anything other than head down.

(Which is the case around where I am, although it is common to get a bridle cover added.)

There are some threads on dz.com with long debates about old Vector II's, and whether it is really worth spending the money to modify them for more freefly friendliness.

have about 150 sit-fly jumps (out of about 2000 jumps on the rig) on my Vector2. No problem.

When people ask me about freeflying with Vector2's where I jump, I have them talk to Nick. Nick put about 500 freefly jumps on his "modded" Vector2 before it bit him. Good thing he's young, that premature opening was brutal...

To the OP - if you can pick it up for $200-300 or less and you're willing to stay on your belly with it, a Vector 2 will serve you fine for a first rig. They're pretty comfortable if you don't overstuff them.

I have talked to the rigger and it has had several mods have been done to the rig so it will be more free fly friendly. Although I am using this rig to work on my canopy skills since I will have a Spectre 210 in it. But as I progress I will be moving to my wings container which is freefly friendly

When people ask me about freeflying with Vector2's where I jump, I have them talk to Nick. Nick put about 500 freefly jumps on his "modded" Vector2 before it bit him. Good thing he's young, that premature opening was brutal...

Not arguing with your conclusion, but one data point isn't something to base an opinion on. You could find someone who's had a brutal premie on every single container on the market.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I did about 35 jumps on a vector 2 before upgrading the a vector 3. I realise that the vector 3 is better and more recent but the vector 2's out there have been reliable for many years so I wouldn't consider it unsafe just because its design has been replaced with updated features.

I've seen a 182 jump plane doing aerobatics, back loop/barrel roll (not full of jumpers). Vector 2 would be a fine container for canopy work/bellyfling. I did a lot of back flying on mine until cutaway #5. Then I realized watching video for the year end video that I had a toggle out of the container at least a dozen times(you can see it come around in front of the camera). I don't attempt freefly with that container anymore.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

agreed! i was jumping a student vector rig for a while. for most belly flying or even some backflying its fine, but like others have mentioned its not suitable for freeflying in general. a few times attempting to sitfly ive had the reserve flap smack me in the back of the head.

As far as the Vector2 goes I already knew and understand that it is not freefly friendly. I am not worried about freeflying right now with my low numbers. I am more worried about getting my canopy skills improved in order to be able to move onto other such venues in the sport. I one day may try my hand at freeflying but until then belly is good for me