matthewcline

Vibes for dz.commer Gawain

Hi Everybody!!!

I'm truly humbled by your responses and all I can say is that I am grateful, and "Thank You".

My left leg (amputated) had its final revision and was closed last Thursday. The doctors (many of them and all excellent) have been very pleased with the healing of the leg, no infections at anytime, even during/after the "wash-out" surgeries. I'll be putting weight on it before I'll be putting weight on my right ankle (broken, two screws) will bear weight. ;)

My spirits are way up. And, strangely, I knew before I got to my aid station that I was going to lose the leg. Knowing that at the time put me into another perspective: stay awake, keep talking to the medic and tell him what I feel. I did just that. I was even trying to tell my CO where all my important items were (weapon, GPS, radio, etc), he was cool enough to say, "Ramsey, don't worry, we got you." I then remember sometime later he leaned down to me and said, "You know your leg looks pretty bad." I replied (clenching in pain, but in a stoic fashion), "I know sir, I think I'm going to loose it.

When I woke up in Baghdad, I wasn't surprised to see my leg gone. The toughest part was telling my family. However, that changed once I got to the States. Since then, we've all been talking about what opportunities may arise from all of this.

Enough of all that, I'm at Walter Reed and the care has been tip-top. In fact, it's been tip-top since the hospital in Baghdad where they did the initial surgery.

You guys have been tip-top and there are a certain few here that i feel indebted too.

My whole who recovery will be at Walter Reed, how long that will be is up to me and my desire and ability to get the most out of the physical and occupational therapies.

That's all for now. I love you guys Keep thinking about our men over there, they love the support and care packages never go to waste.

Blue skies,
Max
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

No, thank YOU. Thank you. Thank you. :)
I just wanna hug you. You're amazing - being able to take stock and adjust your attitude right in the middle of all that... and then maintain such a great spirit through it all... wow!

They always say, "Keep your chin up," but it's often easier said than done - and here you are, postwhoring like a champ and making us smile.

Keep on keepin' on, Max. You are a hero. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

We're proud of you and humbled by you, Max. We also miss you in Elsinore. Please say that you'll eventually come out this way, when you are out of the hospital. Everyone would love to fly with you.

Btw, thank you for everything. You are an incredible inspiration for myself and for many, many others.

*HUGS*

With respect always,
~ Your friend ROSA

You guys have been tip-top and there are a certain few here that i feel indebted too.

Has there ever been a statement reflective of truer character than this? He feels indebted to others?

Max - we are indebted to you.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You are truly an amazing person! THANK YOU!!!! Keep those spirits up and get the heck outta Walter Reed quickly. :)
((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
{{{{{{{{{{{VIBES}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so very thankful to have you and all the other troops/civ's out there.

You are my hero! B|

xoxo g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Thank YOU for just now adjusting my attitude quite a bit. I thought I understood a bad injury with a long recovery and now I read your post and realize that after just 3 weeks, you have a much better attitude than I have ever had. For this, I truly thank you.:)
I also thank you for your selfless service to our country. The existence of people like you make people of lesser character feel really inadequate. That's a good thing. It places a mirror in front of people's faces and gives a motivation to improve.B|

Hang in there Max. I'm going to pm you my number in case you need anything.

Chris

How Max met Fargo the dog;

Summer 2001, I had brought my motorhome back to the dz after having worked on it most of the week and decided to bring my Golden Retriever, Fargo along for the ride, he had only been to the dz once before when he was a puppy and has always been interested in watching overflying aircraft. We had just backed the motorhome into the camping spot inside the open "T" hangars that the dzo let us use for trailer camping and they were at the north end of the landing area, a great place to sit out withyour pals and have a beer, *after* the last load had taken off of course.

A bunch of us were sitting out in front of our friends BJ and Cheryl's tent trailer when the last load landed, so Fargo was sitting next to my camp chair when half of the load landed long and ended up near us, Fargo was totally enthralled by all of this but stayed near me, then Max came and landed about 25 ft away, Fargo must have thought Max was a Martian by the way he was acting, hair on his neck standinf straight up, neck outstretched and his body was kind of low, like he was trying to stay as far away as he could get without running away,
Max was setting his brakes and turned to see the dog about 10 ft away obviously freaked out by a dude coming out of the sky and understand, this is the most most sociable dog I have ever seen and this kind of behaviour is something I had not seen from him.
Max sort of crouches down and holds his hand out for the dog to sniff and be buddies, Fargo freaks and starts barking at Max, making this the third time in two years that I have heard him ever bark, Max is trying to be friends, Fargo is freaking out because some kind of monster with a funny looking head (Z1 helmet) had just came out of the sky and made people sounds like he wanted to be friends, Fargo wanted nothing to do with this and ran back to me and jumped in my lap (he was no puppy then), I was laughing so hard that I couldn't defend myself from the dog and he and I crashed, spilling my freshly opened Mirrior Pond, bad dog.

Max took his helmet off and he and Fargo were best pals and I had to go to the store and buy more Mirror Pond.

Get well soon Max.................Gordo

Guest 1010
>is that I am grateful, and "Thank You".

no, it is we that owe you, your fellows, and your family a debt ... great to see your post and good spirits, please let us know if/when there are things we can do to help out, really.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Max - much love to you, friend. I'm so disappointed that we lost touch when I came back. You were truly a rock for me when I needed you.

I would just like to remind everyone that Katiebear is the "cat's pajamas", that is to say, she rocks! We never "lost touch" per se. There was just a brief gap. That's all I have to say about that. B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!