brierebecca

What Hurts Worse?

Hello All,

I got the outline of a tattoo done last week, and I'm getting it colored Sunday night. It's three tulips, and they start near my hip on the front, and run around my side and up my ribs. Needless to say, the outline really hurt. Some people have told me the color won't hurt as much (the tattoo is mostly color), and some have said it will hurt worse. Which is it?

Either way, I'm really excited about it. I'll post pics on Monday. :)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

outline hurts way worse!!!

Yeah - but then again . . .the color was done on mine after everything turned numb.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Normally outlining and shading hurt more. Shading hurt me more because he was adding color to/over aread that had already been colored. It is a GOOD hurt anyway, so don't worry about it.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Anything over bone hurts more.
Some of the shading in my latest piece hurt WAY more than any of the out line.
It depends on the tool they are using and what the finished product is supposed to look like. Eg. solid color vs. shading.

Good luck, and I cant wait to see! :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Its been years since I got my work done.. But I remember it had more to do with which Gun He was using..

I think he had a Single Needle (Hurt Like Hell), Three Needle (Not too bad) and 5 Needle (Got really sore and painful after a while cause he kept going over the same spots.)

I could be wrong about the guns.. I dont remember exactly.

But it was all the good kinda pain though.;)

outline hurts way worse!!!

My outline hurt a lot, but this is a delicate tattoo, and the black lines are VERY thin and light. I don't know if they hurt worse because thay were done with a smaller needle, or whether the color will hurt worse because it's a MUCH larger part of the tattoo.

I'm getting nervous.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Is this your first tat?

I have a few...the last one I got I did two sitting with...the others were always just one sitting...the last one was two because after two hours, I just couldn't take it any more...and that was just the outline and shading/highlighting....the coloring in didn't take as long...but I kinda wished that I had it done all in one shot...I want to say that the first sitting hurt more...but I don't know...I think it hurt more because it took such a long time and I was just getting sore...the coloring in didn't take quite as long...just an hour...

Just remember..its just gonna hurt...plain and simple.[:/]

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Is this your first tat?

No, I have 12 others. :)

Actually, when this one is done I'll still have 12, because the flower stems are covering up the closing pin. It was a good idea at 100 jumps, but 800 jumps later it's just black and kinda looks like a prison tattoo.

Brie

It depends on the tool they are using and what the finished product is supposed to look like. Eg. solid color vs. shading.

I agree on the bone part. The one on my back hurt on the outlining AND the colouring ... vibrated to the top of my head! But it's worth it!

'Shell
'Shell

Yeah for me it was my shoulder blade and lower back...the next one I want will be on the back of my neck...is it that bad? You said your calf...I have one on my ankle, I wonder if the pain is about the same?

Bobbi

The consesus with the calf was it was close to the bone,and it is supposedly nervey there.
The center of my upper spine,and neck just felt like the top of my head was being tattooed.Could have been the way I was sitting.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Agreed - also, how "heavy" a hand the artist has makes a big difference, too!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My outline hurt way worse, but that's me.

The shading wasn't that bad... of course I may have just been numb by then. :|

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

Outline hurts worse... especially if there are alot of fine details to be inked in... when it comes to color they'll use anywhere from 5 to 9 needles and it'll go numb fairly quickly....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Is this your first tat?

No, I have 12 others. :)and smiley faces on the bottoms of all my toes. Some people say I should count the smileys all as one tat, but I disagree. Plus, it's just fun to say I have 12 tattoos and see how people react. ;)

Actually, when this one is done I'll still have 12, because the flower stems are covering up the closing pin. It was a good idea at 100 jumps, but 800 jumps later it's just black and kinda looks like a prison tattoo.

Brie

Oh, am I gonna have fun with this one. I never knew you had smilies on the BOTTOM of your toes.
>:(
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I'd say that if the outline hurt a little the shading will hurt just a little bit more. When you color it in, the artist will move over the same skin over and over during shading, hence more pressure... It's kinda like if you keep scratching at a rash in the same spot it will get red and irritated.

Still, I have them in fleshy areas and bony areas and they all didn't hurt that much. Just don't have any alcohol in your system, otherwise you will bleed more because it thins your blood.