AggieDave

Martial Artists, a question

I'm finally going to buy a good quality uniform and belt and was wondering what you used.

I was looking at buying a Ki Heavyweight Gi (traditional), I remember seeing them at various tournaments and liked them, but I've never worn one. Right now I have a worn out HSU heavy weight Gi, I like it, but was thinking about switching.

Also, about belts. I know Ki makes a decent belt, my last two brown belts were Ki belts, but the black belt that I have is a crappy Century belt. I'm going to buy a quality belt and was reading about Tokaido belts. Anyone ever have one or been around one of those belts? How do they compare to a Ki belt? The reviews on the internet read very highly of the Takaido belt, but I'm not sure how they compare to Ki. They are significantly more expensive, though, but that doesn't necissarily mean anything.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What style martial arts?

If grappling is any part of your style at all (even a little) I would go with a gecco suit. Awsome and you will NOT wear one out. They are a little on the heavy side, but you get used to them. I use one in my style (very very fluid) and have no restrictions.

As for belts....dont use them so cant help. Sorry...
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Some folks at my Dojo use century and like them. I'm also wondering the same question as I really need a heavyweight gi.

Just (literally just) finished up competing an hour ago at the United States Karate Alliance Nationals Competition.... :)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I usually go for a brushed cotton heavyweight gi. The brushed cotton is just as durable, and it's not rough like the regular cotton, so if you're doing grappling or throws, or someone's attack pulls your gi, you don't get fabric burn. This is the one I have. My old one lasted about four years of daily training before I had to patch it, and I still wear it for studio training. I bought a new one that's exactly the same for tournaments.

http://www.tigerstrikekarateequipment.com/14ozbruscotu.html

I've always liked Tokaido, but the fit was a bit off for me in uniforms. They're belts are good quality though. For Gi's, I prefer Meijin. Good heavy weight, and kinda vented so they breathe well. Stands up to alot of punishment too.

Edit:: The Meijin Gi is also alot softer feel than the Tokaido that I used to use. But just as heavy and durable.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Otomix

Check out this website, it's where we all get our stuff. Fair prices, fast delivery and quality products, for men and women. I've been using their shoes for years, they're comfortable and don't have any laces on them so they can't come untied in freefall.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

You should take several things into consideration when deciding what type of uniform to buy. First and foremost, consider the instructor and school where you are planning to study. Many schools have a "dress code" where they want all students to appear similar, so to an outsider there is order and discipline. Also, in many schools the uniform is part of a package that is offered with the initial registration - you may end up with two - one which you may not want to wear.

If you are going to be training in a more informal setting, then you should next consider the type of art you will be practicing. If you will be grappling or throwing (Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido etc) you should use a heavier uniform, such as a judogi. This will type of jacket will stand up much better to the rough handling.

If you will be practicing Hapkido, a traditional patterned uniform (dobok) may be called for. For Kung Fu, a completely different style uniform is used, with a sash instead of a belt.

I've owned three "Double-Guard" brand uniform and find them to be quite well made and the belts to be of the highest quality for uniforms that should be used for Karate, Hapkido, T.K.D. etc. Many distributors will often customize these belts for you as well with your name in English, Korean etc.

However, you should consider my initial statement: speak to your intended instructor. He/She may have a preferred choice.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

why not just drop a 16 ton weight on your assailant's head? Then you don't need to wear a gi.

That works well if they attack you with fresh fruit.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

irst and foremost, consider the instructor and school where you are planning to study.

I've been in Tae Kwon Do for over 13 years. I've got that one covered. The stuff I'm looking at fit within what the school wears. The unfortunate side is that most of the students wear those cheap lightweight Century Gi's. The instructor staff tends to wear nicer Gi's, and I have an ok one now. Its just time for a good quality Gi that will last me another 10 years (which is how long I've had this heavy weight Gi).

If you are looking for really good quality stuff - have a gander at Bujin Design. Pricey, though.

I picked up a sword bag from them 3 years ago and it has held up to many a mile strapped across the back of the motorcycle to and fro practice. Bought one for the g/f this past XMas as well.

Good luck in the gi hunt :)

Nice! They're not that expensive for quality Gi's. About on par for the high end, a bit higher then the stuff I had been looking at, though. I hadn't heard of them, now I like what I see. Don't think I'll spend quite that much this go around, but it would be great as a second Gi, maybe in black.:)

His tears cure cancer too.

And my instructor's instructor fighting partner beat Chuck Norris in a tourny back in the day. One of 5 losses that Chuck had. However, that means my tears create ulcers. Sorry folks.

:D

My instructor swears by the KI brushed canvas gis, they're soft and durable, plus they make a cool cracking sound when he punches. I'll buy one after my two cotton heavyweights get nasty. I think they're about $60 or so?

-R

Nice! They're not that expensive for quality Gi's. About on par for the high end, a bit higher then the stuff I had been looking at, though. I hadn't heard of them, now I like what I see. Don't think I'll spend quite that much this go around, but it would be great as a second Gi, maybe in black.:)

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE