AggieDave

Happy Birthday Texas

"You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas!"

Today is April 21st, its the day in 1836 that the Texan forces defeated Antonio López de Santa Anna at the battle of San Jancinto. Although independance was declared on March 2nd of 1836, this is when Texas was truely won.

Having traveled all across this country and in 3 other countries, I have to say that Texas is a unique place. Unique due to the pride, the history and more importantly, the people.

Its also a day of rememberance for the Aggies, for today is Muster. Its a day for Aggies to get together, have some bar-b-q, talk about the good times, the old times and remember all the Aggies that have died in the past year with Aggie Muster Roll Call. During roll call each of the Aggies that have passed in the past year have their names read. When their name is read friends or family or just a fellow Aggie will call hear for them in their absence and in their memory.

"The tradition gained broad significance during the WWII defense of Corregidor in Manila Bay. Surrounded, outnumbered, and with little hope of relief, the contingent of Aggies on the "Rock" mustered at the encouragement of Gen. George F. Moore '08. News of the Aggies' reflecting on the victors of San Jacinto and their alma mater electrified the nation"

There is also a long tradition of unique Musters being held in war zones in every war faught since the inception of Muster in

1883.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Let me be the first to say... (clearing throat)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!;):D

J/K

I still say Houston should have taken Texas from Santa Anna then hung him while the ink was drying!

IMO.....
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I still say Houston should have taken Texas from Santa Anna then hung him while the ink was drying!

There's a lot of speculation about Houston's treatment of Santa Anna. The common theory is that they were both Masons and that was the reson for the uncommonly good treatment of Santa Anna, even though he had slaughtered Texans at Goliad and the Alamo.

That's why I'm happy I married a good Texas women. She's traveled around the US and like me, has no desire to live anywhere else. The only thing we "discuss" is if we'll stay in the Brazos Valley or go to DFW area or to the Houston area.:D

Yeah its my military blood. Can't help it. Still have Texas blood though. Hell.. my Texas Blood is portrayed in a painting hanging in the foyer of the State Captial... sitting to the right of General Sam Houston. Deaf Smith was my great great Grandmother's Uncle.

I'm in Texas and it sucks! up here in DFW its nothing but oversize cowpaster. cops in Texas are assholes!
I'm here only for my job.. I'd move in heart beat if they ever opened base other than Texas or Oklahoma! or LA / Mississippi / the south...I'd love to move back to upstate New York. The finger lakes area is nice...

Davey Crockett said that - or something like it. He said, "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." This was to his former Tennessee constituents who turned him out of office in 1835. As someone born and raised here, and went through seven consequitive years of "Texas History," I recommend an excellently written book about the revolution called, "Duel of Eagles," by Jeff Long. It explodes pretty much every myth ever conceived about Texas' war for independence and is a wonderful example of the idea that Truth can be indeed stranger (and a lot more fascinating) than fiction. One example of the (well documented) heresies in the book, the morning after the Alamo was taken, Crockett had been captured, he and others went to the wall, they were shot and soon after those not outright killed by gunfire were hacked to death by the Mexican soldiers - he didn't go down "swinging O'l Bess to the last."

It's a good read.

Davey Crockett said that - or something like it. He said, "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." This was to his former Tennessee constituents who turned him out of office in 1835.

As someone born and raised here, and went through seven consequitive years of "Texas History," in Texas public schools, I recommend an excellently written book about the revolution called, "Duel of Eagles," by Jeff Long. It explodes pretty much every myth ever conceived about Texas' war for independence and is a wonderful example of the idea that Truth can be indeed stranger (and a lot more fascinating) than fiction. One example of the (well documented) heresies in the book, the morning after the Alamo was taken, Crockett had been captured (he tried to disassociate himself from the defenders, no shit), he and others went to the wall, they were shot and soon after those not outright killed by gunfire were hacked to death by soldiers on Santa Ana's orders - he didn't go down "swinging O'l Bess to the last."

It's a good read.