Apollinaire

Why do Army Rangers jump round parachutes?

My husband and I are watching the television show "U.S. Army Ranger" on the Military Channel. They showed these people jumping out of planes with round parachutes. Why do they use the round ones? They all seemed to hit the ground kinda hard.

If I posted in the wrong place, so sorry!:$

It's safer for a 'Mass Drop' trying to put a bunch of people into the same place at the same time.

Certain groups within the Rangers do also train on a utilize squares.

The types of gear used are mission specific.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Many thanks for clearing that up! Hubby wants to know if you are an ex/current ranger and if so, do you know 12 ways to kill silently? I want to know if I should worry. ;)

I'm not, my best and longest friend retired from the 75th Rangers a couple years ago.

....and trust me, there are more than TWELVE ways!
;)

"Rangers Lead The Way!"

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Basically, you need to get as many troops to the ground as fast as possible in a small area. The rounds that the Army uses are designed to get them to the ground as quick as they can without causing injury and not leaving them hanging in the air any longer than they have to. If they used squares, they would have to get out higher and come down slower, which is not good when you are being shot at. Plus, you don't need 200 guys getting out at 1,000 feet and all steering their parachutes around. It would be a mess.

The rounds do the job they are designed for very well. And from experience being an Army Ranger, yes you do hit the ground very hard, but I would rather that than staying up there any longer than I have to.;)

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of an altitude you could do squares from. I was in 3rd Ranger Battalion and we typically got out at 700-900 feet for training and as low as 600 feet. The one combat jump I did was from about 500 feet. Weeee!

Im not familiar with round or the equipment Rangers use. but jumping at 600 wouldnt leave any time for a reserve deployment i wouldnt of thought. What happens if things go tits up?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Yes, the Rangers use a T-10 Bravo that is unmodified. There were some modifications to the T-10 for civilian use to slow the openings, land them softer and make them more "steerable." But there are civilian rounds that are designed to be much more maneuverable and land softer.

My husband and I are watching the television show "U.S. Army Ranger" on the Military Channel. They showed these people jumping out of planes with round parachutes. Why do they use the round ones? They all seemed to hit the ground kinda hard.

If I posted in the wrong place, so sorry!:$

Two Words

CARGO DELIVERY;)

HOOAH

hop and pop are 500 feet with C130 going fast

FUN JUMPS ..900/1200 feet C141 that flew around for an hour so it could slow down and not hurt the engines(jet)

they fall fast but you have your ruck on a drop stray that you lower and it hits first

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

The rounds do the job they are designed for very well. And from experience being an Army Ranger, yes you do hit the ground very hard, but I would rather that than staying up there any longer than I have to.

basically the point of an airborne drop is to get 80% of the soldiers who exit aircraft, on the ground capable of combat operations...

don't be in the 20% [:/];)

C141 that flew around for an hour so it could slow down and not hurt the engines(jet)

Not "hurt" the engines? Explain please....

maybe it was just shi@ the airforce crew were saying ..but they said they had to fly around for a while before they could slow down to prevent damage to the engines..I figured overheat but then i was 19 and a dumb ass ..not like now that I am a 59 year old dumb ass

anyway we always had to fly around for ..like an hour before jumping..s/l T10's with light rucks and NO ammo

19 years old ..young .dumb and full of XXX:o

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

The rounds do the job they are designed for very well. And from experience being an Army Ranger, yes you do hit the ground very hard, but I would rather that than staying up there any longer than I have to.;)

'very hard'...I'm thinkin' that's an understatement! :D

Hey did you guys do demo jumps back in from deploy? Joe did, and the families got to watch. Cool, but then again not so cool when they're picking up broken guys off the LZ...:S

The families got to watch a water jump into American Lake over here, too. Damn near drown a couple of 'em. :(

Joe was in 2nd bat.

-Oh man, I just remembered that 'one' drop -hey did those briliiant Air Force geniuses ever drop you right onto a Burger King?? :S:S Yeah, some broken Rangers after that one...>rooftop...tumble, yank, pull...falling off rooftop...onto parking lot cement. B|B|< (no joke!)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.