MC208B

favorite jump plane

Froggie & Speedracer,
I am in major bum mode right now. I was gonna jump my hiney off today but the complete cloud cover kept me on the ground. I am so in need of a fix I will come up to Cross Keys on MONDAY if there are any loads going up. The weather is supposed to be PERFECT! 80 degrees and sunny. Yee-hah! I also went to the Xkeys website and if it is really only 13 miles from PHilly - Philly is only 1:45 from my house so maybe around 2 hours to get there. No problem. That's what I am driving now! Will you be there on Monday, Froggie? Any business on the schedule? Hope to see you there!
Elisa
P.S. Yes, my name really is Elisa Bell. I have never heard of a song in my name. I will have to check that out!

elisa,
are you kidding me?!?!? stacy says the weather for monday is gonna be nice, 76 degrees. Ill be lucky if i make it to my last class before heading out to XKeys. lol. so yeah, ill definitally be there, and it looks like stacy may be too. were both in need of a 'fix' and ive got to get that jump conquered. Just lemme know if youre definitally coming out, ill be sure to look for you.
kelly

I think all twin otters are PT6 powered, but the Frankenotter has more powerful PT6's, like Mullins' King Air.

The Frankenotter has -27's on it, which I believe is the same as Mullins' King Air.. Most King Air 90's have -20's, which I believe are rated around 500-550SHP.. The -27's are around 625 I think.. There are a few Twin Otters floating around with -34's, rated around 680-720SHP(depends on when it was made).. My old home DZ(Aerohio) recently bought a Super Otter and it is currently getting -34's installed.. If Frankenotter does 14,000ft in 7 minutes, an Otter with the -34's should do it in 6 or less..
Frankenotter is just a Twin Otter that is made of parts from about 5 other Twin Otters.. It stopped by at Skydive Space Center yesterday, and I saw it for the first time.. They were there to pick up some equipment, and the pilot refused to do a load for us on his way out.. Punk.. He was flying up to NC, so he had to go to at least 10,000-12,000ft anyways..
Mike

elisa,
ill be there by 1:30 and stacy will be there by 1 i think. Um. lemme see. you can find me outback sitting on the benches. i like to watch before i jump. stacy will be the really hyper one running around :) ill check out manifest and find ya when i get there.
kelly

elisa-
i'll be at the DZ at about 12:30 or 1.. i'll jump with ya!!! I can't wait!!!! it's gonna be beautiful. let me know how those directions work, i just updated them on the page, someone said that way was faster... =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

We used to regularly have the opportunity to jump the king of fast climbers: the Sikorski CH-54 Skycrane; a helicopter which will beat an F-14 Tomcat to 12,000 ft. The pilot could pull pitch and *literally* pin all the passengers to the floor like a safe fell on you. This monster, when fitted with "the box" would hold at least 30 jumpers. It's open back was 8'tall and about 10' wide. You just ran a safety strap accross the back for the climb to altitude. It was also able to completely hover at altitude without washing all over the place for those times when you wanted a balloon-like experience. We used to sneak out the front door of the box and crawl all over the fuselage when on jump run. The pilots would just shake their heads and laugh at us. Excellent.
The last military unit to have them was the Alabama National Guard. The 20th Special Forces Group Parachute Team got use of them pretty much anytime they wanted it. They would either fly it to the sod farm in Pell City, Alabama or just fly it to my dad's ranch (which just happens to be surveyed as a military DZ) and we would skydive our asses off all weekend. THOSE were the days!
Besides that, I am also quite fond of the three turbines we have at my home DZ, Raeford. Two Twin Otters (one a Super Otter) and a CASA 212. Lovely.
Chuck

Isn't Mister Douglas still in service somewhere? It is on the list of a/c for Quincy, and I seem to recall looking up its tail # recently and finding an active record.
Nice plane.
I would still say that the Super Otter is the best all-around jump ship, tho. Fast, nice door, plenty of room, and with seats or benches, quite comfy!
The 727 was cool, as was the Huey. I can't wait to do the B-17/24 bomb bay doors.
The Caribou is a nice tailgater. Are there any more of those around?
Carl

skymonkeyone,
damn that must be nice. i always wanted to make it out to one of the mwr dz's. maybe sometime in the future i can visit the one that's somewere in the carolina's. now i've seen an f-16 do a max climb a few times and they cook going up, that choper must rock!!!!!!!!...the military just isn't what it used to be, i've heard all kinds of stories of what it was like even 10 years ago and it's nothing close...i guess i missed it by a few years.

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

In my short time in skydiving I've jumped from FrankenOtter, C-182's, a Caravan, Casa's, a Skyvan and a Bell 412 and here's my breakdown:
Best plane: Casa! Bomb that exit!
Best ride: Bell 412 at Quincy. "Damn! Is that a tree branch stuck to the skid?"
Best 'pimp' factor: FrankenOtter. We had that badboy down at Oklahoma Skydivng center some time back for a visit when I had about 10 jumps off of student status. Before I started skydiving there was no way in hell you could have got me in there. When I saw it as a jumper, I couldn't wait to get inside and see what that mish-mash of parts could do. That beast can climb! I hope they never paint it!

Wingnut,
The mwr dz's you refer to are the 101st at Ft Campbell in Ky and the 82nd at Raeford...Raeford is the better of the two as at Ft Campbell they sometimes get lucky just to have a Cessna...But the jumps are really cheap...five in a day and you only spent $25.00...And free coaching (if anybody is available)...Military cutback...what a bummer, huh???
FFF

kris,
sorry to disapoint you but rumor has it that Franki might be getting a paint job. Nothings gaurenteed, in fact, i dont even remember where i heard that from. But if we do paint him then I think we should all roll around in paint and throw ourselves against the sides of Franki. Can you imagine? We could hold eachother upside down and press against him. Dont know why i have this big wish to brand Franki, but if hes going to get painted, it might as well be by his most adoring dropzone.
froggie

Those days are over. There are no free jumps in MWR clubs on Bragg anymore. The rare exception are the demonstrations that are done occasionally by guys on the demo teams. We still have two clubs here: the Green Beret club and the 82nd club. Both offer training at about the same cost as the civilian vendor on Raeford (RSS), but where people save money is in gear rental. We (the GB club) rent complete sets of gear for $30 all weekend. Nice, new student rigs with cypres AAD's and rigs as small as a Flexon with a Sabre 120 are available. Yes, we still coach our jumpers along for free.
Chuck
We pay full price for jumps at Raeford. Sad but true, we have not had free helicopter support in a couple of years.