CanuckInUSA

So what are you?

For most of my life I have lived in the 'burbs of various big cities. I have briefly tried living in a big city, but honestly I didn't like it, it's not for me. If I could I would live in the country about a 2-4 hour drive from a big city. But thanks to the profession I currently work in (software developer) I am pretty much forced to live in or near big cities and while you'd think tele-commuting might be an option. Very few companies seem to be interested in it (plus it's not the easiest thing to do from a motivational factor). So I'm pretty much screwed, I don't live "IN" the city like some other people do. But my neck of the woods is closer to the city life than it is to the burbs (or the country life I would like to try).

Anyway, have you ever noticed that the hardcore city dwellers love living in the city so much that they aren't afraid to tell others how much better their lives are because they live in the city and you don't (and these city dwellers aren't afraid to throw tons on money on their fancy food and drink never afraid to remind you how much culture they have and how little you have and often call anyone who doesn't live in the city a red-neck). Now I know things go both ways, and if someone is happy in the city, or the burbs or in some small town or even the country. Then so be it. It's all about being happy, right? But city dwellers need to realize that not everyone is interested in their life style, just as not everyone likes being in the burbs, being in a small town or being in the country.

So what are you? Is city life the only life for you? Are you in the burbs? Perhaps you've been in a small town all or most of you life? You maybe you prefer the country? What kind of dweller are you?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The Burbs and strip mall ville annoy me. City living is annoying. I'm just not cut out for it. I REALLY dislike people in general. :D That's why I have a house in Montana. It's 8 miles from a town of 1500 people. 4.5 miles of that being AFTER the pavement ends. B| Other than that my home is where my DZ trailer is parked. ;)

I live in a 2000 population town just off the highway, 40 miles from the big city. I just like the nice and quiet scenery, and enjoy the wildlife around the lake.

Don't much like city living anymore.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Small town gal here! I lived just outside of a "big city" growing up, had family that lived in the "big city" that we would visit on the weekends, now after 20 years the small town where I grew up has grown like crazy because there is no more room for people in the big city and it has filtered into the 'burbs...I just can't stand the mentality of knocking down every freaking tree to build a condo or strip mall on that last patch of green grass.
I moved 850 miles away from the "big city", near the largest land mass city, Jacksonville, Fla, I am 20 + miles away and people are actually filtering to my lil town...we have a building boom going on...luckily though 1/2 the county that I live in is swamp so they can't build everywhere.:D

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Welcome to the 'burbs - the worst of both worlds.

Not in the city where the action is and not in the country where the peace and quiet is.

I'd prefer the peace and quiet but I'm too cheap to let go of the money to buy a farm...I keep thinking of all the jumps I could do instead.[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've always been a small-town country girl wannabe. I grew up and still live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., though. I had horses, dogs, cats, a rabbit and a chicken when I was growing up. The house where I grew up was destroyed and townhouses put up because of urban sprawl.

I visited New York City once. We had to buzz the apartment from the outside before the entrance door would open. We walked up three floors and knocked on the door. The occupant peered out at us from a view hole in the door and proceeded to unlock ten deadbolt locks. When we got inside, it was a one-room efficiency with bars on the only window. I'm sorry... that just felt like prison to me.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

My all time favorite place was five acres located six miles from town. We were the last place down the end of a mile long dirt road. Rarely saw any traffic. Had beautiful places to walk the dogs, all kinds of wildlife, very quiet.

When it was time to get stuff, zoom zoom, in the car and in town.

That was before I started skydiving. The only change I'd make to that is to have a dz about 10 minutes away.

Cheers,

Mo

I really hate people in general too. (General public)
but I live less than 2 miles from downtown. When I met my wife she lived in this area, and I've never gotten her to move.:(

I guess I'll just have to keep traveling with work, I always seem to be sent to the middle of nowhere.

Im a redneck that lives in the big city! Hows that for ya? :D

Ive lived in "the country" my whole life. Dirt roads, dogs without leashes, using farmer teds field for bonfire parties, peeing off your back porch, and all that other stuff. I left it behind.

yea its more expensive here. Most of my friends are here, I love to go out to eat, drink, dance, party, see new things. So it puts me closer to what I like. But at the end of the day, I still like a good bonfire, a keg of bud lite, and good friends.

Home is where you make it. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

But at the end of the day, I still like a good bonfire, a keg of bud lite, and good friends.

Good thing you're a skydiver.

Well, except for the bud light part. [:/]:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

But at the end of the day, I still like a good bonfire, a keg of bud lite, and good friends.

Good thing you're a skydiver.

Well, except for the bud light part. [:/]:D

You watch your tounge missy! Bud light has been the number one selling beer for a long time. Oh, and I was drinking Miller High Life last weekend! its the Champagne of Beers! :|
If you cant drink those in mass quantity: you might not be a redneck! :D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I don't really know what I am---much like everything else---I never seem to fit neatly into any category.

I grew up in Orlando. Have royally country family I'd spend summers with in NC, KY, etc.. Would spend time in South Beach when I was older working there. Live at the beach now, outside of a big city about 30 minutes away.

When you grow up in Florida, you're kind of in a melting pot of cultures---country/southern, big-city types, Latin/Miami area. I am mostly German but my Spanish accent is flawless and my German accent stinks:D When I speak normally, I have a Southern draw, and obviously say "ya'll" since I type it often enough:P

All I know is, while I LOVE to visit--I can't stand the big cities. I need trees, I need to NOT see my neighbor's house (though my current home is far too close to my neighbors for my liking), I need water--be it ocean, intracoastal, or huge lake. But, I also need a Publix & a Starbucks w/in reason.

I love my home now, but am looing for a 2nd home even further away from the city part and more secluded. Problem is, more secluded where I live = more $$$.[:/]
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Country girl here. I don't like large cities much, I think they're great to visit but hell to live in. I find that cities are too fast paced for me, there's never a time where things just slow down.

Out of all the places I have been I still love a fire by the creek and cold beers on the back of your truck after a day of fishing. I guess you never forget where your roots are.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

I've always lived in the suburbs, but a secluded house in the mountains by a lake would be Heaven to me.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So it puts me closer to what I like. But at the end of the day, I still like a good bonfire, a keg of bud lite, and good friends.

Well, it's hard to fault a guy for that......that much. :)

btw, when I'm not being a snob, I am an MGD man, especially at family restaurants. ;)

Oh my gosh---Love, Love LOVE the mountains. Where I used to stay in NC was smack in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. My grandparents had a gorgeous log cabin on one of the moutains---I could DEFINITELY live there. I stayed every summer for a month for 8 or 9 years. So wonderful.

I can't imagine living there in the winter, though[:/]

<---is not a snow bunny.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'm still trying to figure that out! :D
When I was younger, I imagined myself living in all sorts of places, such as living in a cabin by the mountains, having a big home in the country, living in a huge city,etc.

I would like to live in a bigger city due to all the resources available. My hometown has only 200,000 people ( I think:S) and that's way too small for me.
I just want to live near the beach.B|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...