Ugali

What was your worst job?

Head Shit Shoveler at Quailwood Stables

That wasn't really bad though. I took pride in my work. I loved horses, and it gave me a sense of accomplishment that I could take a smelling stall and make it sweet for the horses. I wasn't paid, but I was allowed to ride the horses.

I've never really had a job that I hated. I just make sure that I don't accept a job unless I know that it's for me. I've been at my day job for 24 years and my evening job for 10 years. I love them both.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Repo-man...

It was both the best AND the worst job I had!

The hours and pay were great, but there is that whole danger and 'Karma' thing too.

Sometimes ya just knew you were making an
already bad situation even worse for someone.:|

One time...there was a guy that 'bought' but didn't pay for a home-built aircraft. He used it daily to commute from San Diego to L.A.

I finally figured out that he had 'changed' the N number from what it was in order to 'hide' the aircraft in plane sight so to speak.

Late one night in San Diego I checked the serial numbers while it was tied down and figured out what he'd done...

The small airport he used in the L.A. area was an easier place to work, so I waited there the next day and grabbed the plane an hour after he parked it.

It got pretty messy when we finally figured out he had TWO of the same homebuilts with the SAME N number...and I took the WRONG one!:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Worst? I think I can probably list my worst day on the job. I worked warehouse/delivery/labor for an electrical contractor. The delivery stuff I didn't mind so much. But sometimes the labor part would be too rough.

Cutting, bending and hanging conduit was rough. But the worst part was pulling cable - it'd leave you greasy, sweaty, etc. What a pain. And when doing it in a sheet metal fabrication plant in the middle of summer, it sucked. It was probably 135 in that corrugated tin building with a blast furnace in the middle. That was the day I decided, "I'm going back to college."

The job that was a general pain-in-the-ass was workng at the dining commons in college. Bythen I'd been in the real world and couldn't handle the juvenile clique bullshit that is ever so present in such environs. The full-timers liked me because I hated the student staff, though, and I became a baker, which was one of the better jobs I had.

Edited to add - Oh, yeah. While I liked my job in ultrasound, I did not like the prostate biopsies for the prostatitis studies. That sucked...:S

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Working in a clean room for a hard drive manufacturer - on the 6PM-6AM shift (not a good idea for someone with chronic sleeping problems!). I found that twelve hour shifts of doing repetitive, mind-numbing work is pure misery. I was only able to do this for a short while before I started turning into a zombie and had to quit.

That was many years ago... I had only taken that job because I was wanting to go back to school and they would pay for me to do so, but there was no way that I was going to be able to do well in school in that condition.

Worst one for me was being tasked with following an unfireable Down syndrome janitor around so he wouldn't cut any of his other fingers off. Later took the county test and became a lifeguard at the pool there, which allowed me to escape.

Hospital porter working on the honey cart, collecting the rubbish bags in 1979-80. It was an open plan hospital dating from World War 2 so I had a bright yellow, electric buggy and trailer to transport it, to which they added L plates because I hadn't passed my driving test then. That was the fun part. Worst parts of the job were hoping that the bags containing the afterbirth wouldn't burst, killing the lab rats that the labs had missed (running over them in the buggy) and watching out for needles in the bags (supposed to go in sharps boxes but some of the nurses weren't too careful). Picking up a paper rubbish bag and having one of those 9 inch amniotic fluid sampling needles burst out the side towards you has a very sobering effect.

There were cockroaches too, around the hospital kitchens, but we left each other alone. Best not to pick a fight with something that size.

I was just the holiday replacement, covering for the regular guy for a few months while he recovered from the diseases he had picked up.

Monday mornings were physically the toughest, collecting all the empty bottles from the nurses' hostel. The dregs of the alcohol would soak through the bottoms of the paper bags so they'd always be tearing. If there had been money back deposits on the bottles I'd have made a fortune.

One time they were considering having me pick up the dead bodies in the buggy rather than having the other porters push them in a covered trolley a few hundred yards along the road. I was going to have a pager. When the pager went off I was to empty the rubbish from the buggy and nip round to pick up the trolley. It seemed to add a bit of :Sprestige:S to the job so I was disappointed when they scrapped the idea after a trial.

Another time I crashed the buggy into the operating theatre block having fallen asleep at the tiller (instead of a steering wheel). My second job at night was leaving me tired. The buggy wasn't large or fast but its base was made from steel girders and it had a hell of a lot of batteries so it made an impression. I've always wondered if there was a surgeon just about to make the vital incision at that moment. Didn't stay around long enough to find out.

At least it taught me the importance of washing your hands before eating.

managing a 24/7 Waffle House Restaurant

i worked at a wf myself.. it wasn't bad besides the manager was a dick.... i still go to the one i used to work at.......... i love waffle house!!!

Gas station in my late teens, and rent-a-cop in my early 20's (was really desperate for work). For the rent-a-cop job they loved me because I was always willing to pick up the graveyard shift which no-body wanted. They never had to take their turn on graveyard because I was always willing to do it. No-one ever figured out that I only wanted to do graveyards so that there was little likelyhood any of my freinds would spot me in the Cliff Claven outfit and figure out that I was a toy-cop security gaurd.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Paperboy. Having to chase people down for a buck fifty at the end of the week was HELL. The kid from "Better Off Dead" was no exaggeration. Trying to finish the route during those sub zero wintery nights that would put a mailman to shame. I guess it built character.

Facebook

i worked at a wf myself.. it wasn't bad besides the manager was a dick.... i still go to the one i used to work at.......... i love waffle house!!!

BWAHAHAHAAAAA! I almost forgot about that Waffle House job....!!! One night I did serve Lee Greenwood....lol.

But 2 eggs over medium scattered smothered covered chunked and peppered SHOL' are good! And raisin toast with apple butter. Yum.

That job sucked.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

i worked at a wf myself.. i still go to the one i used to work at.......... i love waffle house!!!

A waffle and coffee used to cost 60¢ and 10¢ respectively. With free unlimited refills. I go there now for the hash browns. Double order! I leave big tips, because I know the waitresses don't make anything on the standard small dollar amount orders. I met my wife there. And I like to remind myself of where I could've been stuck all my life if I hadn't been drafted into the military.

Paperboy. Having to chase people down for a buck fifty at the end of the week was HELL. The kid from "Better Off Dead" was no exaggeration.

Was that the movie where the paperboy on his bike followed John Cusak around everywhere he went, even the ski slope, hollering; "I want my two dollahs!"?

I almost forgot about that Waffle House job....!!! But 2 eggs over medium scattered smothered covered chunked and peppered SHOL' are good! And raisin toast with apple butter. Yum.

The pay stunk, but we could eat all we wanted, except for steaks, and only had to pay $1 for those. So being poor, I did all my eating at work, and hardly had any food at all at home. If I got hungry at home, I just waited until I got to work and stuffed myself. So that was a decent side benefit. Cheeseburgers with a pineapple ring on top were good!

As a manager, I would catch my night shift eating steaks without paying their dollar for it. I didn't think that was too much to ask for a 8 oz. ribeye. They didn't know I counted the number of steaks in the fridge before leaving, and added up the number sold on their tickets the next morning. What a coincidence, the number of unaccounted-for missing steaks, would always exactly match the number of employees on duty!