jumpjunkie2004

How do you punish a cat?

My cat is out of control. Every time I pick her up, she starts purring and then she bites me (really hard) and scratches me. I realize that she is trying to play with me, but she needs to learn that she can't bite me.

How do you discipline a cat?

I clipped her claws, but I can't do anything about her teeth!
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

I usually squeeze her paws/ mouth together, look angry and say NO. My baby cat doesn't scratch at all now but biting it's a bit different story. GENTLE slap on the nose should work after a while.

Take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping

There is a device that emits a high pitched tone that is too high for you to hear but the cat can. It works on my cat when she claws furniture. Can't remember where I got it, probably in one of those catalogs everyone gets in the mail.

Carry around a spray bottle full of water and spray her when she misbehaves...

I've heard that works on cats but not children or husbands... :P
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Carry around a spray bottle full of water and spray her when she misbehaves...

I've heard that works on cats but not children or husbands... :P

bah! that never worked. We had 3 cats when I was much younger.
one of em just didnt care.
the second would run away to come right back and do it again
and the third would look at you was probably thinking "ok, im gonna go hack a harball in your shoe"
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Spray bottle has trained our two cats for about all the bad behaivor that they were doing like jumping on furnature, counters and clawing. Only rarely do they still try anything bad. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Make the cat go Wooof!!

(Easily accomplished with a Gallon of gas and a Match!!):P:D

HAHAHA :D:D:D:D:D I can fuckin hear that sound in my head!

Whooooffffffffff

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Every time your cat bites you say NO loudly and put her down. Don't pick her up again for a bit.

For everything else there's the spray bottle of water that tends to work really well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Spray bottle has trained our two cats for about all the bad behaivor that they were doing like jumping on furnature, counters and clawing. Only rarely do they still try anything bad. :)

thats only while you're around... :o
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

a gentle tap on the nose and a strong "NO" works well. If it's a problem with scratching or digging, a spray bottle full of water works, and if that doesn't work, add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water. cats HATE vinegar and will go off and spend an hour licking it off their fur, which will distract them from whatever it is they were doing that got them sprayed in the first place.

thats only while you're around... :o

The spray bottle works on one of our cats.The other one loves water.

Hi, Jumpjunkie.

Biting cats are issues, no doubt. Especially because a cat bite which breaks the skin can get very badly infected very quickly - including housecat bites. I ended up with a very bad infection from a bite right next to my right eye because of one bite from an upset cat that I still own; 'twas my fault totally...but now I've learned, and so has she, that biting is not an option.

First, a few "don'ts". Don't smack them - however gently - with anything. There are incredible numbers of nerve endings in a cat's face, near/on/by their nose; if they get damaged (and that's not hard to do...surprisingly easy, as a matter of fact), the cat will have issues scenting, moving in the dark, and so on.

Don't swat the nose at all...not simply because of the above, but also because that's fighting behavior for cats. When my cats tussle, often scratches can be found on their nose. So your hand (to a cat, your paw) being used to strike tends to make them think they're being attacked (they are), and will react appropriately (for a cat, that's biting and scratching...).

Do: when the cat is playing - and doesn't have a good grip at all on your finger/hand, push your hand INTO their mouths (not far, and not fast...you don't want to hurt/choke). They hate that...and it is an effective deterrant as they almost immediately try to back off from the intrusion. It takes a few times, but they get the message. I've done this effectively with Simon, who's a biter, and now when he bites (during rough play sessions), he doesn't bite hard...'cause he knows what's going to happen.

Do: Have a toy they can bite, rabbit kick, scratch, and wrestle with next to you when you think kitty is going to bite. When he bites, and you've done the hand thing, give them the toy to fight with. Move it around, and make it an inviting target...and they will soon switch from biting you to biting it. Make the toy larger, but not bigger than them - about the size of your hand; and don't make it one of those catnip toys; that would be rewarding behavior with 'nip, and what you're trying to do is divert the behavior towards an appropriate object.

DO: stop playing/interacting immediately after swapping the toy. Removal of the play will help enforce that this behavior is not appropriate.

DO: know what triggers this. With Abby, I only get nipped when she rolls over to her back exposing her belly, and I rub on her belly. She'll grab my arm with both paws, and start nipping my hand. So I don't rub on her belly because that seems to trigger the bite behavior.

Your kitty sounds fairly young - biting during play is a very normal behavior, and it's important to temper it to appropriate behavior early. As the kitty gets older, the biting will lessen; but it will never stop unless you work to stop it.

Hope this helps...if you have any other feline questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~