WatchYourStep

Surefire Flashlight

I was thinking of gettnig one. Has anyone tried this brand? For some reason I keep thinking my Army friends say this is the same brand they get as equipment, but I may be mistaken.

Any way reviews?

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I have a Surefire E2D. I use the light fairly regularly to say the least and I'm using it as a replacement to a SL-20. Personally I love it, great lights, real tough and light weight. The downside are the batteries. They're not cheap (nor are the flashlights). However, to me its a justifiable expense for ease of use, weight and size.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was thinking of gettnig one. Has anyone tried this brand? For some reason I keep thinking my Army friends say this is the same brand they get as equipment, but I may be mistaken.

Any way reviews?

I swear by mine. There are many different models though. Mine's a G2Z Combatlight. I upgraded it from a 60 lumen bulb to a 120 lumen bulb. The thing is EXTREMELY bright. I'm not kidding. It's positively blinding. But that power comes at a price, it eats through batteries. Two lithium batteries in it last about 20 minutes at constant illumination. Also, the flashlights are damned expensive, but you're paying for the world's most kick-ass lights. People may scoff, but until you try one, don't laugh. It's just amazing the power they put off.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Thanks for the posts guys. I was thinking about getting the G2. It's a little cheaper but still a great deal,60 lumens I believe. If I decided to spend more money it would be on the E2E or the E2D.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I was thinking about snagging one for my nightjumps. The G2 would fit in my jumpsuit without a problem also I could use it for some other things as well.

The Modle sold to the Military and Police are not aviable to the Public as they are extreamly Bright and in some aeras clasified as a weapon. But yes they are the same other then the bulb. They are a kick ass flash light and will take tons of abuse.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

The Modle sold to the Military and Police are not aviable to the Public as they are extreamly Bright and in some aeras clasified as a weapon. But yes they are the same other then the bulb. They are a kick ass flash light and will take tons of abuse.

Pardon? I can go to any store that sells them and get the same 100 lumen bulb that the military can get...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Pardon? I can go to any store that sells them and get the same 100 lumen bulb that the military can get...

100 lumen bulbs are for pussies!!! :D i got 120. :)
I'd love to get that big ass flashlight w/ the 500 lumen bulb in it, you know, for "home defense" B|B|

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I have the G2 with the stock bulb kit, and I am very happy with it. Buy your batteries from Surefire, and they are a bit cheaper. The light is blinding as is, os upgrading to the higher lumen light would probably be incredibly bright.

If you use it for night jumps don't turn that thing on anywhere near the airplane. Your night vision will be blown away.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

In Reply To

I guess you can't buy it in Canadia, but in the US anyone can buy the superbright bulbs (which also means your expensive batteries last about long enough for one use.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

> Surefire Flashlight: I was thinking of getting one
Some tiome ago I noticed these very nice flahslights by Surefire: outstanding pieces of equipment, but jolly fucking expensive.
Unless you are "desperate" needing EXACTLY an original Surefire Flashlights, you can go on eBay and look for "5W Luxeon Star LED Handtorch Flashlight": I bought a couple of them for 55$ each, their maximum output is 120 lumen, and you can have them have outputs of 100%, 50%, 25% (plus, blinking mode).
Yes, they are NOT as robust as a Surefire original light, but if you are not WORKING with them (going out and use it every single night) such a "fake" flashlight works jolly good indeed. Yes, the front glass is NOT crystal but plastic material (still good if you are not using the flashlight for a whole continuous hour) but the body it is still made from aluminium and it is waterproof, quite robust I would say.
Furthermore, I bought rechargeable CR123A batteries, but after the recharge process they come out with too high voltage, such as my flashlight recognize such a high voltage and refuses to light up. I am waiting they (=batteries) self-discharge a little bit and I will give them another try in my flashlight.
Hope it helps.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

If you use it for night jumps don't turn that thing on anywhere near the airplane. Your night vision will be blown away.

Zipp0

I think thats the understatement of the week. My 6P kills your DAY vision if you look at it from the wrong end when lit!.

Have had mine for many years, and its great. mine is mounted on a quick release mount on my home defense pistol.

It does eat batteries like crazy, but as long as you use the momentary contact button and use it only when you NEED it, not just wandering around with it turned on its great. I used to use mine that way (looking for something/someone in the dark when I could see enough to function otherwise) and only went through 3 sets of batteries a year.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm getting one for my dad as well to carry on his Voyager. These things are 4 times brighter than Maglites of comparable sizes. That's awesome.

I'll be sure to keep my finger off the trigger in the plane. B|

I'll let you know how it worked out on Monday.

I have the Aviator A2. Got it as a gift. I absolutely love this flashlight. Press the end cap a little for temp on or twist it a little for constant on, and you get 3 LED's of light. Press the end cap a little more or turn it farther and you get a very bright xenon light plus the LED's. Very well built, small, bright, handy, and with the option of LED's or xenon in one small light, very versatile. The quality is second-to-none. If you want a high quality flashlight, Surefire is the only choice. Only downside is they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Derek

Zipp0

I think thats the understatement of the week. My 6P kills your DAY vision if you look at it from the wrong end when lit!.

Ain't THAT the truth! That's why it makes such a great weapon. Masturbation doesn't make you go blind, Surefire flashlights do.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Been using a Z2 for about 3-4 years now. Really nice but if you are buying batteries........they are a bit expensive. Like others mentioned.......this isn't really a "flashlight." It's a "Tactical Light." Meant more for doing CQB than taking a stroll after dark. I'm intrigued by the mention of Hookit's model. I want to check that out........should be nice for a dual use flashlight. I love my Z2 but I don't pay for the batteries. ;)

Hey it has a good presence about it that a little gay wafty surefire doesnt. Although, I admit, they are damn bright. Good for small area searches but for open outdoor work I use either my Maglite or a dragon lamp

I've been using these wonderful lights for over a decade. I can't say enough good things about them. I own at least 7 of them, including G2s for my emergency kits and an E2E for my slacks/jeans pocket everyday. G2 is the best value in a flashlight available in my opinion, but check out the entire line if money is not an issue. The L2 or L4 is on my list for after jump season sometime.... B|

-MD

Hey it has a good presence about it that a little gay wafty surefire doesnt. Although, I admit, they are damn bright. Good for small area searches but for open outdoor work I use either my Maglite or a dragon lamp

tell ya what poopie scoopie, you come at me w/ your heavy mag light and i'll beam you w/ my surefire... you'll be waving around that clunker blindly as I stealthily move around you. everytime you think you've acquired me, i'll just spot you once more in the eyes, blinding you again. you'll shriek in freakish misery as you fumble around in the darkness, cursing the day you a few 30 quid on a silly piece of clubbery when you could have been joyfully bouncing around defeating your foes as easily as me with a little surefire... :D

:D:D:D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...