sky490

Riggers Mistakes

I agree with a lot of the opinions and I disagree with some too (Heaven forbid somebody disagree with someone with more experience - Tough it up and hear me out)

First off, Riggers are too damn wordy. Seriously, did you ever notice how the riggers ramble on these threads? If you can't get your point out in less than a 500-page thesis, you probably don't understand your own damn point. Guys - I swear riggers get their ticket and just LOVE to hear themselves talk.

IMHO - Rigging is a serious deal and I'm not a big fan of the fast weeklong courses. However, I agree with Riggerlee that they really arn't that common as a lot of people think. I know of some local Insta-Rigger courses, but even they expect a lot to be done BEFORE the course starts.
Also, I hardly know ANY riggers who started with it all. First they get their tickets and do basic AIR work - then after x-amount of repacks they get a bar-tac machine, then a few months later a straight stitch. It's a process - going from A to B to C. Isn't this what you guys want? I guess I'm just not seeing the problem here. I just think those "insta-riggers" are too far and few between.

As far as the errors is concerned - Yes, I've seen my fair share of silly things when I open a packjob and I only have about 100 repacks. I've also seen a lot of Riggers open a packjob - fuck something up and blame the rigger before them. Just be careful people - that's about it.

And about the rigging school - great Idea. I'm all for it. Get the best damn education you can and continue learning. Why, you could have CE classes for those already with their ticket! Know how to strip down and tune a Singer 20U? Go learn! However, look, that idea is unrealistic for the midwest where skydiving centers are small and often seasonal and nobody can afford to be a full-time 24/7 rigger. You'll be looking at more apprentice-type education, and instead of bitching about that why don't we try to push things like progressive learning and continuing education? Perhaps the FAA could impose CE as part of the currency requirements! Wouldn't that treat the problem, instead of the symptoms themselves?!
=========Shaun ==========

I agree with a lot of the opinions and I disagree with some too (Heaven forbid somebody disagree with someone with more experience - Tough it up and hear me out)

First off, Riggers are too damn wordy. Seriously, did you ever notice how the riggers ramble on these threads? If you can't get your point out in less than a 500-page thesis, you probably don't understand your own damn point. Guys - I swear riggers get their ticket and just LOVE to hear themselves talk....and some riggers are real asses

IMHO - Rigging is a serious deal and I'm not a big fan of the fast weeklong courses. However, I agree with Riggerlee that they really arn't that common as a lot of people think. I know of some local Insta-Rigger courses, but even they expect a lot to be done BEFORE the course starts.
Also, I hardly know ANY riggers who started with it all. First they get their tickets and do basic AIR work - then after x-amount of repacks they get a bar-tac machine, then a few months later a straight stitch. It's a process - going from A to B to C. Isn't this what you guys want? I guess I'm just not seeing the problem here. I just think those "insta-riggers" are too far and few between.

As far as the errors is concerned - Yes, I've seen my fair share of silly things when I open a packjob and I only have about 100 repacks. I've also seen a lot of Riggers open a packjob - fuck something up and blame the rigger before them. Just be careful people - that's about it.

And about the rigging school - great Idea. I'm all for it. Get the best damn education you can and continue learning. Why, you could have CE classes for those already with their ticket! Know how to strip down and tune a Singer 20U? Go learn! However, look, that idea is unrealistic for the midwest where skydiving centers are small and often seasonal and nobody can afford to be a full-time 24/7 rigger. You'll be looking at more apprentice-type education, and instead of bitching about that why don't we try to push things like progressive learning and continuing education? Perhaps the FAA could impose CE as part of the currency requirements! Wouldn't that treat the problem, instead of the symptoms themselves?!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Who is Accountable? The other day I witnessed a cut away that the reserve looked very funny. After the jumper landed I relised that his Rigger forgot to attach one line (the outside right front on an Tempo reserve) to the riser. The jumper was mot injured but the reserve was hard to fly straight and impossable to flair. My question "is this noted in some Rigger lifetime history or something?

Does this issue make you want to have rigs repacked more often than 120 days or longer than 120 days? Just think, a rigger is human and can make mistakes which you could be jumping. Of course you would rather not have to jump a riggers mistake, but if you were, would you rather jump it for 120 days or 180 days?

the answer is: doesn't matter.
More or less repacks does not affect error rate of riggers. if you got a bad reserve repacked, there is the same amount of chance that it would be repacked incorrectly the next time.

I think it does matter. The shorter repack cycle makes it more likely the error is found before you have to use your reserve. I kinda like that idea.

The shorter repack cycle means that there are more opportunities to make a mistake because the rig has to get packed more times every year.

That argument works both ways and it is pretty stupid. I always use the same rigger because it is a person that I trust to not make the type of mistake that would kill me.

The good argument is that, the more times the reserve is repacked is the more wear put on the reserve. The H/C wear is affected only by how much and where you jump.

So how often would you 'like' for your reserve to be inspected and packed by your rigger if you had a choice? How long would you go for till you got scared and had it serviced? As well the argument on how long or short the pack cycle could be is still at large. If your reserve would last longer if it werent handled then why not just have it assembled and packed and not ever get it packed again till after you actually use the reserve in flight?

Tough it up and hear me out)

First off, Riggers are too damn wordy. Seriously, did you ever notice how the riggers ramble on these threads? If you can't get your point out in less than a 500-page thesis, you probably don't understand your own damn point. Guys - I swear riggers get their ticket and just LOVE to hear themselves talk.

Only riggers? Have you checked out any other threads? there's alot of rambling going on here on dz.com.

Perhaps the FAA could impose CE as part of the currency requirements! Wouldn't that treat the problem, instead of the symptoms themselves?!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Currency requirements are written into the Federal Air Regulations, but are so vague that they border on meaningless.
For example: merely cleaning your rigging tools - every few months - might satisfy the FAA's currency requirements.

The FAA Riggers' Continuing Education Program - during PIA Symposia - is an attempt at formalizing continuing education.

Tracking currency can generate tons of meaningless paper-work.
For example: circa 2000, the Canadian Sports Parachuting Association considered requiring riggers to submit written proof (i.e. a photo-copy of their rigging logbook) as proof of currency, but CSPA soon realized that tracking riggers would be generate tons of paper-work and become cost-prohibitive.

I practice, half the riggers burn-out by their third year and quietly retire. Problem solved.
The only continuing problem is riggers who live too far back in the hills and rig alone for so long that they lose touch with technological developments. Fortunately, hill-billy riggers are rare.

[replyI still personally believe it's long enough now. I have never seen an example to support the added wear argument and I still think unseen things can happen such as punctures from the outside, chemical intrusion, whatever...I am not taking a side on this topic as I see both ends and I really don't know what to think. (and I am a S Rigger) However, it seems to me PD thinks repacking wear is an issue because when we repack a PD reserver we are to check the boxes on the label and send the canopy in after a certin number or repacks. If there is another reason someone please tell me as I am just making a guess here

I am also a SR, but from all the arguments I have heard over the years, both on the "damage" done by handling (and yes, I believe it is and is measureable... but what is the affect?) and also the argument about age limits... so here goes my theory...

TSO states that the tested 'chute must be fully open and flying in 3 seconds. (someone will reply with full wording and explain how I am wrong on the wording, but this is close enough for my theory...)

But recently (last 10-20 years) the MFGs have been asked, "when is the parachute manufactured under a TSO no longer 'good' for use as a certificated parachute?"

MUCH harder to define...
If the sample 'chute(s) passed the test, but were only 3 months old, and had porosity value X, what about the unit in the field that is 6 months and porosity Y? If TESTED, that 'chute might take 3.01 seconds to open... is it still "good"?

What about 10 years and porosity Z1?
What about 20 years and porosity Z2?
What about 30 years and porosity Z3?
What about 40 years and porosity Z4?
What about 50 years and porosity Z5?

Years ago, it was enough to say "it didn't rip when I pulled on it..." But now the porosity plays into the opening times and performance of flight and therefore survivability... Also, folks retired systems because there was something new. But what about that "never been jumped" Raven I s/n 45? Is it still "good"?

PD took the attitude that for them (and their lawyers) the porosity if the key and it must be better than X2 which you get after ~40 repacks or ~25 jumps.

Strong takes a different view... roughly that if the Rigger says its OK, then it is (until proven wrong).

Others say 20 years is enough, but its not a legal restriction, just that they will not service their own rigs after that...

BTW - YES I have had 50+ year old 'chutes brought in for repack (mil. rigs for pilots), so this is a valid concerns for the riggers and mfgs until such time as we adopt the military way of saying that after it is a certain age it is out of service EVEN IF UNUSED! (not saying I'm for it, just that its an issue as long as we are asked to keep older and older gear in the air.)

JW

PS - yep, probably over 500 words, but its very late and I get wordy after 2am.
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...