erdnarob

Flotation gear for tandem?

Somebody asked me a question today. Should a tandem pair (instructor and passenger) wear a flotation gear when jumping near water (3/4 of mile or less) and should both the passenger and the instructor wear one each ? Some flotation gear can support the weight of both in a tandem jump landing in water, is it a good reason for having only the instructor wear one ?
I have my own idea but I really would like interested people to comment. Thanks
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

...at the price of tandem systems, I'd even give the RIG one

The voice of experience and that of a jumper sage speaks clearly again.

Everyone gets one. If *I* owned the tandem rig, then there would be a flotation device on each lateral!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...at the price of tandem systems, I'd even give the RIG one

The voice of experience and that of a jumper sage speaks clearly again.

Everyone gets one. If *I* owned the tandem rig, then there would be a flotation device on each lateral!

Snag point...>:(
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

It is tough to install flotation gear on the instructor, so he is probably limited to under-arm water wings, like those worn by navy pilots.
Next challenge, how do you install water wings - so they can be inflated before landing - but do not impede removing the parachute harness?

However it is easy to install a full flotation vest on the student. Just remember to disconnect the student's chest strap before inflating.

I would only install flotation gear on the left lateral strap, to reduce risk of confusion with drogue handles.
Mind you, I mainly jump Strong Tandem gear.

CSPA
Basic Safety Rules
2.3 When the intended point of landing is within 1 km horizontally of open water, all parachutists shall wear a floatation device capable of supporting themselves and their equipment.

Not really any gray area there.
Any less than two floatation devices voids the insurance as well as defense fund access.

I once saw a Canadian jumper at my home drop zone with a really small flotation device attached to her rig--smaller than a beer can. I can only find the Stearns style on the web. Any good links for compact flotation devices that could be affixed to a rig? thx

.why would a tandem pair in the water stay 'connected' ?

If the tandem master and student end up in the water with rough seas, assuming that flotation devices can keep the pair on the surface, staying connected could help to keep the two people together.
I'm not saying that this is or isn't the correct thing to do, I'm just answering your question.

If the tandem master and student end up in the water with rough seas, assuming that flotation devices can keep the pair on the surface, staying connected could help to keep the two people together.
I'm not saying that this is or isn't the correct thing to do, I'm just answering your question.

Definitely NOT the thing top do.

That's why ya need a flotation device for each person...can't swim or maneuver strapped together, and after time the gear will soak up water & sink.
And how about if one person panics, the other is bolted to a 'drowning' scared man

If you want to tie-off together, hook-knife a suspension line.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Plenty of good answers. Thanks guys. When I was asked the question my answer has been that they have to follow the Basic Safety Regulations and both of them, Tandem Instructor and passenger have to wear a flotaison gear each. It is obvious to me that the tandem instructor has to disconnect from his passenger after landing in the water. Staying linked together is a scenario for drama since in this case each individual has no autonomy of movement.
But on the other hand I wonder if the passenger is considered as a parachutist and therefore, some DZ could provide a water gear to the tandem instructor only????

"But on the other hand I wonder if the passenger is considered as a parachutist and therefore, some DZ could provide a water gear to the tandem instructor only????

"

That would be splitting hairs in a silly legalistic way ... the sort of way that would get you deemed blameless in court, but still drowned.
IOW of no practical value.

I repeat my earlier statement that - if tandems are landing in water - both participants should wear flotation. You could even strap the flotation on the outside of the student's harness and the instructor could reach around and inflate it long before landing.
There is little reason for the student to remove his harness after landing.
I would definitely disconnect the two as soon as possible after landing. Then the instructor should swim out of his harness, etc.

CSPA
Basic Safety Rules
2.3 When the intended point of landing is within 1 km horizontally of open water, all parachutists shall wear a floatation device capable of supporting themselves and their equipment.

Not really any gray area there.
Any less than two floatation devices voids the insurance as well as defense fund access.

I'm guessing the insurance company would still cover it and the instructor defence fund as well, if for no other reason then to avoid having a precedent set against the dropzone....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I just don't see any room for interpretation here.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2014206;search_string=tandem%20fatality%20hawaii;#2014206

Both should wear floatation gear.

_Am

in the mentioned incident it wouldn't have made any difference
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I once saw a Canadian jumper at my home drop zone with a really small flotation device attached to her rig--smaller than a beer can. I can only find the Stearns style on the web. Any good links for compact flotation devices that could be affixed to a rig? thx

You are probably thinking of the aqua buoy, its really tiny about half the size of a beer can. likely wont hold too much stuff up. An alternative is a buddi buoy, they are a bit larger and will probably hold you up for a period of time. I have one on my rig as we are close to water, sits just above the leg strap out of the way of everything.
www.dzsports.co.uk/floatation-device-209-p.asp
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

You are probably thinking of the aqua buoy, its really tiny about half the size of a beer can. likely wont hold too much stuff up. An alternative is a buddi buoy, they are a bit larger and will probably hold you up for a period of time. I have one on my rig as we are close to water, sits just above the leg strap out of the way of everything.
www.dzsports.co.uk/floatation-device-209-p.asp

IIRC those are just basically a Mylar balloon, some guys were playing with one at the swoop pond a while back...did take much to destroy it, better than nothing, but just barely.

thats pretty well all it is, its bigger then the aqua buoy that a lot of people around here carry, but you are right doesnt take much to wreck em at all. All in all it works better as a gear marker then anything lol

but it does fulfill the floatation device requirement
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

All in all it works better as a gear marker

I think what you guys are referring to is also called a corpse marker. The only thing that would do a non-swimmer (student) any good is something like THIS. It's what I wear when sailing offshore. It's pricey.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Definitely NOT the thing top do.

That's why ya need a flotation device for each person...can't swim or maneuver strapped together, and after time the gear will soak up water & sink.
And how about if one person panics, the other is bolted to a 'drowning' scared man

If you want to tie-off together, hook-knife a suspension line.

Flotation for each jumper is a good idea as well being manditory, however in rough seas the parachute, if still connected can act as a sea anchor and can submerge the instructor and student with flotation activated. So cutting the main away and disconnecting the student I believe is important

Also Spare Air for both student and instructor is a good idea if a water landing could occur giving the instructor and student up to 15 breaths of air and if submerged they could skip breath giving them additional time to work out of entanglements.

Also Spare Air for both student and instructor is a good idea if a water landing could occur giving the instructor and student up to 15 breaths of air and if submerged they could skip breath giving them additional time to work out of entanglements.

There is a cost / benefit analysis one would have to do before strapping a pressurized air cylinder or two, on for every skydive.

Unless the tandem pair were intentionally doing a water jump I think a spare air would cause more problems than it's worth.

Imagine a rough landing on concrete, I wouldn't want that thing strapped to me!

For possible water landings, I have a 1/2 dozen airline 'horse collars' that work great.

They fit comfortably under a jumpsuit, are light and non-restrictive.

It's of course important to remember to undo the chest strap and open the jumpsuit prior to inflation.

They work good and are pretty cheap if ya can find them.

It's a very good idea to ask the Navy Seals. But I wonder if they do tandem in the water. I was at San Diego Otay lake DZ once and the Navy Seals were on training there (landing on the ground) but I missed my chance to ask them. Next time!
But don't worry Rob, I am persuaded that one water gear for each (instructor and passenger) is a must do. I just said Barry I will put that as a thread in DZ.com and see... I got a nice discussion. Thanks everybody. Very interresting indeed.

It's a very good idea to ask the Navy Seals. But I wonder if they do tandem in the water. I was at San Diego Otay lake DZ once and the Navy Seals were on training there (landing on the ground) but I missed my chance to ask them. Next time!
But don't worry Rob, I am persuaded that one water gear for each (instructor and passenger) is a must do. I just said Barry I will put that as a thread in DZ.com and see... I got a nice discussion. Thanks everybody. Very interresting indeed.

I'm not sure that the SEALs could give you anything that is relevant to civilian tandem jumping. Ask anyway, regardless of what they say, it'll probably be something cool.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yes,
Those Comfort Series inflatable flotation vests are popular with float-plane pilots.
They are one of the few types of flotation that is graceful when climbing out of Cessna 185, but still provide enough flotation to keep you alive.