Viking

So how many Helicopter Pilots we got in here?

I started studying and flying last summer. I sort of gave it up because the theory was really difficult in German, but I intend to finish before my student license expires next summer.

(Flying this summer is not possible due to a knee injury, sadly. But I am still working on the theory and getting ready for the time I can fly again).

I haven't seen such convoluted lines of conversation and such expert chronicling thereof since my days of all day bong marathons in college. ~ Lindercles

I'm went over the local helicopter place today to get info on there training program and i was wondering how many flight hours you have, how long it took you to get there.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I'm went over the local helicopter place today to get info on there training program and i was wondering how many flight hours you have, how long it took you to get there.

Going for my commercial check ride next week - I'm right at 150 hours (need 10 more hours under the hood for my IFR too). It took about a year and a half flying 10-15 hours a month (and a lot of understanding & support from my wife). Take an intro lesson and they should be able to estimate your progression.

You might want to check out Vertical Reference forum too...
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

PM Flyhi. He's a pilot with a shitload of hours.

and does/didn't pilotdave work at sikorsky in bridgeport?

my cousin still has his rating from the army, blackhawk pilot in iraq. doesn't help you though, arthur. my neighbor across the street has his own airstrip and has a little homebuilt rotorway 2 seater helo that he's been learning to fly. He's out there most mornings learning to hover, cruise down his grass strip and what not. pretty cool to have it all in your own backyard. (of course, this is in the country, not city).

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I took an introductory lesson while in Hawaii about 2 years back. Really liked it and seriously considered taking lessons in Oakland. Then I started skydiving and all the cash to get the lessons went out the door of a King Air.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I started studying and flying last summer. I sort of gave it up because the theory was really difficult in German, but I intend to finish before my student license expires next summer.

(Flying this summer is not possible due to a knee injury, sadly. But I am still working on the theory and getting ready for the time I can fly again).

Theory is easy, heicopters beat the air into submission!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I haven't flown one in a while, but have about 750 hours rotorwing time (most of it commercial) in several different helos.

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I have a little over 300 hours. I got all my training from the military. I fly Blackhawks for the Army. If you want to be a helicopter pilot that is honestly the best way to do it. They give you something like 1.3 million dollars in training in aircraft a civillian could not even dream of flying. If you try to start civillian you will be in something like a gasoline powered R22 with hardly any power. In the Army you start in a turbine powered TH-67 which is basically a bell jet ranger. Next thing you know you are flying a Blackhawk(or any other of the Armys aircraft) with two 1560 horsepower turbine engines. The types of flying we do are way better than what civillians get to do as well. Just imagine flying in a formation of multiple aircraft of different types at night wearing night vision goggles. Best of all, they pay you to recieve all that training.

No college degree required, no prior service required, you can be a helicopter pilot in the army. You can even be under 18 and get picked up. A good pilot friend of mine turned 18 a week before he shipped for basic, went straight from basic to WOC school, straight into Flight School, and was flying Blackhawks by his 19th birthday. He will probably be a pilot in command of a 16 million dollar aircraft by his 21st birthday.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

http://www.goarmy.com/about/warrant_officer.jsp

If you want to know more just ask me. I am not a recruiter, I just think this is such an awesome deal and I cannot believe more people do not use it.

BTW Micro, who is your cousin, Army Aviation is a small world, I might know him.

Commercial Instrument Rotorcraft. 5500 Hours. Most people start out flying Robinson's. Out here, about $220/hour, wet. Average number of hours to get a license, about 60.

Try here, too.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

The evil dz-commer known as Ron got me into taking an introductory lesson. I am still fighting the cravings to go back for more. Fun, fun, fun stuff.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

"Theory is easy, heicopters beat the air into submission!"

Actually they're so ugly the earth repels them.:)
If your wings have a higher airspeed than the fuselage, that's a problem!:P

Helicopter (n).
1. 100,000 parts all beating the crap out of each other.
2. 100,000 parts all flying in formation. (From "The Unit" last night.)

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I just think this is such an awesome deal and I cannot believe more people do not use it.

How many years did you have to sign up for to get this awsome deal?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

How many years did you have to sign up for to get this awsome deal?

That would be the downside, you have to sign a 6 year contract that does not start until after flight school. I will only be 28 when my contract is up though. Still young enough to do whatever I want with my life, but as of now I think I am going to finish 20 years are pull a fat retirement check for the rest of my life.

I'm a civilian, but from what I hear, joining the Air Force and becoming a helicopter pilot is a sweeter gig. They give you the same training -- and commitment, but you don't max out on W4 status, you're an officer, not a warrant officer. You probably get the same commitment, but you get better quarters, etc.

Please correct me if I'm misled.

It is better in some ways. For instance, the Air Force does have much nicer stuff. You get alot of the same training but not all. We have different missions. The Army does all the mission the Airforce does plus things like Air Assault, the Air Force is more oriented towards rescue so they limit them selves. Warrants max out at W5 which is still really good. Look at the pay scales for a W5, it is not that much lower. Where Warrant Officer becomes a better deal is in the fact we do not have to do staff jobs and things like that. 99% of regular officers get boring paperwork desk jobs most of the time. The definition of a Warrant is a technical professional. A pilot Warrant concentrates everything on flying. That is our main duty. As a result we get a lot more flight time than regular officers and we do not have to do the boring staff jobs they do. You would be amazed on how many regular officer convert to Warrant in order to fly more. For me I do not really care about the pay and I do not want to eb a general one day, I just want to fly. I love flying.

Coming from civillian adds a few more negatives. If you go to get your 4 year degree and go for regular officer you have no idea what branch you will get. You can cross your fingers and hope for aviation but it is pretty low chances you will get it. The Warrant program offers a way to contract to be an Army aviator before you even enter any kind of military service and you know they are not going to decide to make you a chemical officer or something afwul like that. Most people consider it this way in the military, if you want to be a full time pilot, go Warrant.