JustaBill

seat belt usage

I'm normally really bad about not wearing a seatbelt. After this weekend I think I'm going to start wearing it all the time. Attached are pictures of my sister's truck after being rolled 4 times. She walked away with a separated shoulder and her dog broke his leg. All in all she's really lucky, and it has opened my eyes to the importance of seat belt usage.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Was her dog secured or was he just lucky?

edited to add: I'm glad to hear she's ok.

Dog was lucky, got thrown out during the accident

THeres always some idiot who swear you get worse injuries by wearing a seatbelt. Yeah course you do. That nasty bruis across your chest and shooulder is horrendous compared to the reconstructive facial surgery

I had a wreck when I was not wearing my seat belt (almost 20 years ago). I was turning left on a green arrow, but someone ran the red light and plowed into me, almost head-on. I was driving (and alone), but I was thrown to the other side of the car, where I knocked out the passenger-side window with my shoulder and broke the windshield with my head. I got to wear a cool little tube thingie in my shoulder for awhile to drain the glass, and I pulled glass out of my head for more than a year.

I had a similar wreck a few years ago, when a drunk driver hit me almost head-on in front of the Perris dz, but I was wearing my seat belt. I was a bit shaken, and he did about $10K worth of damage to my pickup, but I wasn't hurt at all.

I'd say it's a pretty good idea to wear your seat belt.

What a mess. Glad to hear she's okay. :)
My ex refuses to wear a seat belt, even though it's a law.

His argument is that if women have the right to chose whether they want to have a baby or not...he can chose whether he wants to wear a seat belt or not. :S
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

His argument is that if women have the right to chose whether they want to have a baby or not...he can chose whether he wants to wear a seat belt or not. :S

What the hell kind of argument is that!? Guess just have to keep paying the fines instead! :D

In Indiana (where I'm from and the accident happened) if you are in a truck you don't have to wear one. But I think I'm gonna start using mine anyway B|

Yup...he's gotten a few tickets along the way. I don't agree with his reasoning. Could be one of the reasons he's an "X" now, huh?

I faithfully wear my seatbelt. And my B/F won't move the vehicle until everyone in it has their seatbelts on.
Nina

In Indiana (where I'm from and the accident happened) if you are in a truck you don't have to wear one.

What the hell kind of logic is that? :S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Haha, yeah I guess so. I have a real problem if I'm sitting in the front and someone behind me doesn't have their belt on. There was an advert on TV where rear passenger kills the driver, who is his Mum and its always stuck with me.

Actually, that used to be a rule in Georgia, too. I don't know if it still is now or not. But I always wear mine no matter what.
Nina

In Indiana (where I'm from and the accident happened) if you are in a truck you don't have to wear one.

It was something about the farmers who get in and out of their trucks all day lobbied for and got.

Because pickups are more top heavy they roll more easily, so it's even more important to wear a seat belt for the kind of accident in the photos. The thing is, pickups give a false sense of security because they're the big burly macho road hoggers, when they're not any safer in most accidents and much less safe in roll over type accidents. Well, they happen easier anyway.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Along the same thought that millions of school children ride to school everyday without wearing a seatbelt. I always wear my seatbelt and think it's a good idea....BUT.... how can you receive a ticket for not wearing one when children do it everyday? Is it a money thing that ALL school buses don't have them?
(please don't tell me that the buses are designed in a way they don't need them...)

THeres always some idiot who swear you get worse injuries by wearing a seatbelt. Yeah course you do. That nasty bruis across your chest and shooulder is horrendous compared to the reconstructive facial surgery

Hah, I was lucky enough to get the nasty bruises across the chest and waist, AND the reconstructive facial surgery :) But you're right; seatbelts save lives, and I would certainly be dead had I not been wearing mine

Holy crap dude!!!! I am glad to hear April is ok.....

If she needs anything tell her to give me a call, Ok....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

In Indiana (where I'm from and the accident happened) if you are in a truck you don't have to wear one. But I think I'm gonna start using mine anyway B|

That there is some fucked up logic. Most trucks have a higher CoG and therefore are more prone to rolling.
Seatbelts are madatory here in Oz for all vehicles
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't have any pictures, but after I was in a pretty bad accident...well...my car looked worse than the pictures posted...but I walked away with a few scrapes and bruises...because of two things...a seat belt, and an air bag...otherwise, I would have been dead...

Two EMT workers asked if anyone survived my wreck right in front of me because the car was empty...I was standing next to a cop car...:|...

~R+R:)...Please be safe...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

If you dont wear a seatbelt, or for cyclists a helmet, please do me and the insurance companies a favor and DIE. It's cheaper for me not to pay for your stupid ass, and the years and tens of thousands of dollars in medical treatment/rehab.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

If you dont wear a seatbelt, or for cyclists a helmet, please do me and the insurance companies a favor and DIE. It's cheaper for me not to pay for your stupid ass, and the years and tens of thousands of dollars in medical treatment/rehab.

Or, a whuffo could say to you: If you skydive, please do me and the insurance companies a favor and DIE. It's cheaper for me not to pay for your stupid ass, and the years and tens of thousands of dollars in medical treatment/rehab.

Little different when you look at it from that perspective, eh? Insurance is there for the stupid, the smart, the risk averse and the risk takers alike. The actuaries also do their best to charge people differently based on their risk factors; that's why you see safe driver discounts, discounts for regular seatbelt use, etc.

Sorry, but if I get injured from skydiving, I fully expect to collect on the disability insurance program I pay into. Sorry if that raises your premiums.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Or, a whuffo could say to you: If you skydive, please do me and the insurance companies a favor and DIE. It's cheaper for me not to pay for your stupid ass, and the years and tens of thousands of dollars in medical treatment/rehab.

Little different when you look at it from that perspective, eh? Insurance is there for the stupid, the smart, the risk averse and the risk takers alike. The actuaries also do their best to charge people differently based on their risk factors; that's why you see safe driver discounts, discounts for regular seatbelt use, etc.

Sorry, but if I get injured from skydiving, I fully expect to collect on the disability insurance program I pay into. Sorry if that raises your premiums.

It's all good. I just quit my insurance adjustor job to go to law school this fall.

I do know that several companies will deny benefits if you admit/are found not to have worn a seat belt/helmet. So no big deal.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Just a quick update, the dog is now a member of the metal club. Couple of pins, a plate and a bunch of screws but is expected to be chasing everything (and I do mean everything.) in about a month or so. My sister is gonna need some therapy on her shoulder but no surgery as of right now.

Renee, thanks, I'll be sure to let her know.