Richards

Why such contempt for "Whuffos"

During my time in the sport I have always been amazed by the contempt that most skydivers have for non-skydivers AKA Whuffos.

Since starting to frequent this forum (which is a great forum) I have seen multiple threads about Irritating Whuffos, Dumb Whuffos questions...etc.

There seems to be an obsessive contempt for non-skydivers that almost borders on elitism. Many people seem to find the many questions they ask iritating and I am at a loss as to why. Granted I have not been as active in the sport as most others yet I never seemed to be bothered by the questions/comments of non-skydivers. Honestly I was often quite willing to answer their questions because I can appreciate why a non-skydiver might find it fascinating. The dumb questions well......I might have asked them myself before I started jumping and learned. Even the age old "perfectly good airplane" comment does not bother me. Yes there will often be some know-it-all who has not jumped but "has a freind who does it" or someone who is just lying, but the majority are genuinely curious but realistically will never do it themselves so why not educate them? To a non-jumper there would naturally be some fascination with people who can do this.

I am not trying to provoke but I would really appreciate some insight into why so many in this sport see themselves as being at odds with these strange creatures that are refered to as Whuffos". Golfers do not have names for people like me who do not golf.

Please help me understand this, but at the same time do not take this as being confrontational. I simply seek to understand this.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

There seems to be an obsessive contempt for non-skydivers that almost borders on elitism.

What forums are you reading??:S

The only people that moan about whuffos are the people that tell everybody they are a skydiver to make them come off cooler.

The people that laugh at the questions they are asked are allowed to do this cause being a jumper and knowing it, sometimes the questions are that funny. Just like it would be no matter what you do when someone asks a question that sounds stupid to you. Some questions you can not help but fine stupid cause you know better and could not imagine such a question. So what if we laugh.

Are you one of the jumpers that likes to tell everybody they meet that you are a skydiver so they ask you lots of questions and you border elitism that makes you feel better than they are by answering all there questions?

Are you one of the jumpers that likes to tell everyone to be the center of attention?

Maybe you just like to advertise the sport and get people interested.

There are many jumpers who can not be bothered with all the questions and would rather spend there time learning more about the sport than teaching non-jumpers about the sport.

Nobody here thinks they are ellite, people here just have a sense of humour and get a giggle out of some questions that we could never imagine being asked.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I am only bothered when they make comments or ask questions with a tone that makes THEM sound elitist, or that they look down on us in some way. I don't like when people are willing to waste someone's time asking dumb questions whne they are not willing to put 2 seconds worth of thought into it themselves. (ie...what if your second parachute fails?...well...what do you think?)

The thing that bugs me the most is that some people think it's ok to say, "you're stupid", or "that's stupid", just because they don't understand. I don't understand what it is about extreme sports that makes them think that it's ok to express themselves so condescendingly.

In general, though, if someone is genuinly curious, I have no problem answering questions. Like you said, we would have asked many of the same questions before.

-S

Are you one of the jumpers that likes to tell everybody they meet that you are a skydiver so they ask you lots of questions and you border elitism that makes you feel better than they are by answering all there questions?

Are you one of the jumpers that likes to tell everyone to be the center of attention?

Maybe you just like to advertise the sport and get people interested.

There are many jumpers who can not be bothered with all the questions and would rather spend there time learning more about the sport than teaching non-jumpers about the sport.

OK let me guess...my post bothered you. I seem to recall specifically saying I was not trying to provoke. It was something I observed and was curious about it.

As for telling people about it to be the centre of attention I do not know where you got that. Perhaps you are trying to polarize my position.

I was asking for opinions. If you feel that my interpretation was wrong then fine, say so. If my question so mightily offended you that you feel the need to attack with this little burst of rage, might I suggest that you avoid reading my posts.

Whatever your problem is.....seek help.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

The thing that bugs me the most is that some people think it's ok to say, "you're stupid", or "that's stupid", just because they don't understand. I don't understand what it is about extreme sports that makes them think that it's ok to express themselves so condescendingly.

I'm sorry you have ran into such people. Perhaps I have been lucky in that sense. No-one has ever been that blatantly rude to me and in fairness I would not like that iether.

In general, though, if someone is genuinly curious, I have no problem answering questions. Like you said, we would have asked many of the same questions before.

I agree. If I developed an interest in BASE Jumping (not that brave) I would hope the person would treat my questions with respect.

Cheers,

Richards

Well I think Bigway ansewred your questions. It's all about egos and being in a clique like DZ.Com. I have wondered the same things you just posted but never had to post them here. I just watched and read the post made on here and the lack of response to post made by certain people and I got all my answers. The only people who your post will hit a nerve are the people you are posting about.
[:/]

Well I think Bigway ansewred your questions. It's all about egos and being in a clique like DZ.Com. I have wondered the same things you just posted but never had to post them here. I just watched and read the post made on here and the lack of response to post made by certain people and I got all my answers.

Thank you. I really appreciate your willingness to answer my question.

The only people who your post will hit a nerve are the people you are posting about.
[:/]

In retrospect that should have been obvious to me.

Cheers,

Richards

OK let me guess...my post bothered you.

Whoa, not at all. not at all mate.
Sorry, my answer was not to attack you or be rude to you, it was purely just replying to you.
I do not take the piss out of whuffos at all as most of my mates are whuffos and i have spent years marketing to whuffos and dealing with getting people into skydiving every day as a job that i use to love.

My point was why i think other people laugh at them... When i was 'asking' those questions of you i was meaning it in a way for new questions for you to think about, i was trying to show you different ways i think skydivers are. Some people dont care for new people in the sport and want to keep quiet about it, some people want to shout it to the world and tell everyone about it.

My post was not to insult you nor was it an outburst. I probably should have used smileys etc.... I have never been in these forums laughing at the expense of whuffos. Please dont think that of me... one of my favourite things to do is get new people in the sport and to help students evolve with sourcing them affordable gear.

I sure hope i have cleared that up a bit.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Nobody here thinks they are ellite, people here just have a sense of humour and get a giggle out of some questions that we could never imagine being asked.

Although you may think that no one here thinks they are elite....just look around at almost any DZ and there are always a few. The ones that can't be bothered even by a skydiving brother or sister to make a jump with them or pass on the love. If you haven't seen it then maybe your only jumping at a one jumper DZ...Blues
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

NO, just i jump at a dz where there are no clicks. Most dz lately i have been to are not clicks, i am guessing that is cause the dz's i go to are actual 'clubs' where we all get on with each other and make time for everybody.

Anyway, i thought he meant here in the forums.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I have my inclination that if you look deep enough anywhere you go, even here on DZ.com...you will find a clique. And yes, I have also found out that when jumping at "clubs" the atmosphere tends to be more fun jumping with everyone then just jumping with a select few. But hey, there is only so much room on a 182...so you gotta get to know us one way or the other. LOL. Blues..
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

being in a clique like DZ.Com. I have wondered the same things you just posted but never had to post them here. I just watched and read the post made on here and the lack of response to post made by certain people and I got all my answers. The only people who your post will hit a nerve are the people you are posting about.

Right on. There's also a tendency to discount anyone with low jump numbers, even if the subject has nothing to do with skydiving skill. To some people here, you're not worthy unless you've got years of experience and at least hundreds of jumps. Conversely, if you are well-known enough, you are never considered out of line.

I think most people here aren't that way. At least I hope that's the case. Most have been patient with my dumb questions and rookie mistakes.

And then there's those few people who disagree with nearly everything and feel that they have to let you know that over and over again. I just try and bite my tongue when those people start. But it does get old.

The only people who your post will hit a nerve are the people you are posting about.

Not true. Someone once said it really well when a person who was thinking about doing a FJC program got upset at how we often refer to "Tandem Mills, Slinging meat" ect. They said, and I think it was Tonto, that they are getting a look behind the wall at what skydivers inner circles talk about.

Same here. Maybe we need to define "Whuffo". A "Whuffo" is not the folks that ask questions to learn more, whuffos are the ones that ask questions like we are crazy and are trying to convert us back to sanity, or who don't care to really try to understand.

Those people are annoying. And if you have never met one, I am amazed.

People who ask questions about the sport who are really interested are not whuffos. The guy who says only idiots and birdshit fall from the sky...They are whuffos. And if they are going to pass judgement on me and my activities without trying to learn anything....Well I have no real use for those kinds of people.

Also, almost any tight group has a term for people who don't participate and have jokes about them. Thats the nature of humans.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Right on. There's also a tendency to discount anyone with low jump numbers, even if the subject has nothing to do with skydiving skill. To some people here, you're not worthy unless you've got years of experience and at least hundreds of jumps. Conversely, if you are well-known enough, you are never considered out of line.

Hey don't forget my favorite...A guy with thousands of jumps/ buncha years, ect. Gets flak from someone with a few jumps since he does not like what he is told. Reference almost any "Should I get the Xbraced at 100 jumps...I'll be really carefull" threads.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well, can't argue with that. But I was referring more to jump numbers not necessarily equating to expertise in non-skydiving issues.

I think you're an idiot if you ask for technical advice from someone with vastly more experience than you, then argue as to why it shouldn't apply to you.

Same here. Maybe we need to define "Whuffo". A "Whuffo" is not the folks that ask questions to learn more, whuffos are the ones that ask questions like we are crazy and are trying to convert us back to sanity, or who don't care to really try to understand.

Those people are annoying. And if you have never met one, I am amazed.

People who ask questions about the sport who are really interested are not whuffos. The guy who says only idiots and birdshit fall from the sky...They are whuffos. And if they are going to pass judgement on me and my activities without trying to learn anything....Well I have no real use for those kinds of people.

The point I was looking for.

When I bought my rig and showed it to co-workers. When they commented that they though I should go to the second story rooftop and jump off, those comments pissed me off. It was a way of mocking me.

I never said that they looked like jackasses walking around in knickers and stockings done in plaids with a poof on the hat they wore at the golf course.

I mean really where else can a person look like Ben Franklin nowadays without looking like a complete jackass? The golf course. Thank You.

I enjoy golf but it's not all that.... to me.

So as Ron mentions and makes a valid point, it's the idiots that we sometimes have a problem with. Not the general public... which know skydivers are really really cool people. B|:P;)

Well, can't argue with that. But I was referring more to jump numbers not necessarily equating to expertise in non-skydiving issues.

And I agree with you. Its just I found the opposite so damn funny I had to say something.

People's opinions should be based on their experience in that field. So jump numbers means a bit when talking about canopies, but not jack when it comes to say, car maintenance.

Whoa, not at all. not at all mate.
Sorry, my answer was not to attack you or be rude to you, it was purely just replying to you.
I do not take the piss out of whuffos at all as most of my mates are whuffos and i have spent years marketing to whuffos and dealing with getting people into skydiving every day as a job that i use to love.

Oops, Sorry. Misread your tone.

Cheers,

Richards

Well re-reading what i wrote i can understand how you did. I seem to always come off like that. I have been told many times that i do not have computer etiqite (sp?).

For people that take their gear to work (sure we have all done it ) we know in the back of our mind before we do it that there are going to be people that mock us.

I have learnt that i just keep skydiving to myself. I am well over the whole 'i am a skydiver, do you want to touch me thing ).
I will wear skydiving t-shirts on the dropzone and when out with non-jumping mates will stay away from the clothes. The only other people i want to know that i am a skydiver when i am in non-skydiving places is other jumpers... That is why i wear my pin. Kind of like a secret hand-shake:P

BTW, we throw ourselves out of planes for fun and excitment.. I personally do it cause it is the most relaxing thing in the world for me. I can't really blame people for thinking we are idiots.:D

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Like yourself I do not advertise the fact. When I first stated in the sport I told all my freinds, but only because I wanted them to try it as it was so much more fun than I expected. I learned over time that while most of my freinds will say " I really want to try that some-day" most of them will never come out. I do not make a habit of dropping it into conversations unless the conversation merits it. Anyway I am temporarily on hiatus from the sport so it rarely ever seems to come up. My only conection is the occasional chat with my freinds from the dropzone and visiting this sight.

Richards

I agree with you on most points except I think Richards was talking about the skydivers who call non skydivers whuffos who are not trying to belittle them.
As for the smart asses who try to belittle me with the comments you stated I reply that ever since my tour in viet nam I have been attracted to dangerous sports and walk off. Read my sig line and you will see why I walk off after my comment.
Yes some tight groups have fun with non participants but it does not shine a favorable light on the sport especially on a site like DZ.com where those people some times visit.

I agree with you on most points except I think Richards was talking about the skydivers who call non skydivers whuffos who are not trying to belittle them.

That was the general direction of my inquiry. I will try to phrase the question better next time.

Cheers,

Richards

I have discovered something like that exists in almost any "extreme" sport.

skydivers will complain a lot about whuffos.
surfers will talk disparangingly on non-surfers.
scuba divers will do the same thing too.

I think its an elitist atitude that occurs to many people, not just skydivers.

MB 3528, RB 1182

There are two kinds of whuffos that are disliked - The Lutz's and the ones that brag that they skydive but have only done one tandem but insist on giving bad info to everyone around.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun