nakedfool

help me understand something plz...

i dont understand this.

you look in the classified section and there are so many ad's that lack sufficient information to let interested buyers know if its suitable for them or not.

for instance...there are so many ads in the container's section that say:

"nice rig for sale. complete with all bells and whistles" (dramatized example). And THATS IT!

how the hell are people supposed to get interested in this? from what i understand, its VERY important to know the harness size, container size, DOM, condition, colors and even see a picture in order to make a determination on whether or not a person wants to buy the rig or not.....now, I catch myself spending all day asking the same questions because these sellers dont provide the information to begin with...

its super frustrating for new buyers...

am I missing something???

I agree. If I have to work to figure out if the gear you are trying to sell will work for me, it's an advert I'm not replying to. My biggest pet peeve is helmets. List the effin' size. If you don't know it, just list small because your pea sized brain should fit nicely in a small.

[/rant]
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

its super frustrating for new buyers...

It's also frustrating to those of us who act as brokers for buyers. Jav NJOJXJ 300 bucks! I have better things to do with my time then look up every single MFG website to find out what fits in a rig.

It's not just gear for sale, you'll see: needed fulltime (whatever) no dz name, no state or country, no profile filled out. My take on stupid people who post such lame ad's is they don't really want to sell their crap or why would I want work for some one who can't even offer basic info one might need to know as to where a job is and how much the pay is, must be a real shit hole or an asshole to work for, if not why hold back the info.

So, no your not the only one who thinks there are a ton of really stupid people placing ad's on here. I often broker deals for students looking for rigs and I skip right over the ones you speak of and don't waste my time trying to find out, and yes the photos are a huge help to those who act as brokers, so we can send them to our clients to help them make up their mind if it is a rig worth taking a harder look at.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Agreed that many of the classifieds ads on this site are very poorly written. Most of the time when you do reply to one of those, they are not much more helpful than the original ad.
However, usually when the add is for a more expensive or newer item it tends to be better written. Most of the poorly written ads are for old crap gear that would be very hard to get rid of anyway. From what I have seen, its not even worth replying to if the description is not very good in the first place.

My personal pet peeve is !!!Great Beginner Rig!!
Usually these are for rigs that are older than the person who is buying them:S

Yeah, Well it goes both ways.

1st line I put in the ad text :

********PICTURES WILL BE ADDED IN A FEW DAYS***********

Yet,since I modified the ad I've gotten 11 e-mails requesting pics. HELLO??????:S

"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

From my experience, both here in the classfieds and on eBay, two things are important in selling anything on line: details and pictures.

I won't even look at an ad that is as you describe. It's most likely a waste of my time. That includes cars I see carrying a for sale sign . . . no price, no attention from me.
Arrive Safely

John

Usually these are for rigs that are older than the person who is buying them

Old don't mean junk I have many rigs ready to jump made long before you were even a twinkel in your daddys eye and they are more then safe and airworthy. It's people like you that talk all kinds bullshit about older rigs to people @ the dz and on line that has noobs thinking anything older then 5 yrs is junk and unsafe, when it's not true, there is a lot of really good older rigs around that can be picked up cheap, you don't need to spend 2 to 5k to get a rig.

What's worse is like when I post gear for sale,I provide pics,sizes,measurements jump#'s everthing I can.
Then I get an email "What color it it,I'm 5'10" and etc..."
I posted all that info and more WHAT THE HELL MORE CAN I SAY!!!!Black Rw suit that has an inseam of34" and so on an son.
The pic shows a black suit,what F%@#*&^ colr do you see!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Usually these are for rigs that are older than the person who is buying them

Old don't mean junk I have many rigs ready to jump made long before you were even a twinkel in your daddys eye and they are more then safe and airworthy. It's people like you that talk all kinds bullshit about older rigs to people @ the dz and on line that has noobs thinking anything older then 5 yrs is junk and unsafe, when it's not true, there is a lot of really good older rigs around that can be picked up cheap, you don't need to spend 2 to 5k to get a rig.

I have no issue with older rigs. My current Javelin is 17 years old and my previous vector was even older than that. I agree that there is nothing wrong with older rigs but if someone had pointed out the differences in comfort to me when I was buying my first one with 40 jumps under my belt, I might have made a different decision and been happier with it for longer. And I don't give advice to students (noobs) at all, I leave that to the instructors.

And I am very well aware that you don't need to spend 5k to get a rig, but I do think that you generally get what you pay for.

but if someone had pointed out the differences in comfort to me when I was buying my first one with 40 jumps under my belt, I might have made a different decision and been happier with it for longer.

While I can understand you may not have had the best infomation given to you, in the long run it is your own fault for not doing your homework and shopping around.

And I don't give advice to students (noobs) at all, I leave that to the instructors.

Oh so posting your blanket statement in a thread started by a rookie looking to buy his first rig is not offering advice or opinion that seems to say older rigs are bad and or junk because it is offerd as "great beginner rig" and older then most people buying. I still own jump rigs older then me and I'm a POPs.

but I do think that you generally get what you pay for.

If you know what to look for there are many very good deals to be had, the best complete rig I ever got was 350.00 bucks and was my demo rig for a number of years, while it was a vector 2 made in 89 and a 89 fury and raven 1, it was 12 years old and looked brand new. Many of the retro rigs I own were free or cost of shipping and damm nice rigs too.

I also just found a brand new closet queen sweethog with a MR 150 and a raven 1 main, for a girl for 600.00 and she is damm happy to pocket the extra 2500.00 bucks she had for a rig for jumps. It's all in how you shop and do your homework, that counts just because you got screwed don't mean everyone dose.

Yeah, Well it goes both ways.

1st line I put in the ad text :
********PICTURES WILL BE ADDED IN A FEW DAYS***********

Yet,since I modified the ad I've gotten 11 e-mails requesting pics. HELLO??????:S

Tip: Don't post any ad text until you have the photos ready to go along with it.

My most common problem with econo-shopping has been the original owner's appalling taste in aesthetics. There can't be THAT many blind skydivers!
Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"

My most common problem with econo-shopping has been the original owner's appalling taste in aesthetics. There can't be THAT many blind skydivers!

Hi Ninja

Think Fashion. Bell bottom pants, go go boots, tie dye, pink, etc etc:)

Some times their hot sometime their not.

IMO jump gear isn't a fashion statement it's about function and safety[:/]

If you want the latest and greatest cool and groovy colors designer stuff than new custom gear is the only way to goB|

Every yearB|